Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmy03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Hello,
A big thank you to you I started again without error and I have information on my combi
Thanks again to you Very Happy

Jimmy
jimmy03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Good evening,
If it's not asked too much, someone would have an idea for the code A28 on my M plate
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/32208719

thank you very much Smile
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

jimmy03 wrote:
Good evening,
If it's not asked too much, someone would have an idea for the code A28 on my M plate
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/32208719

thank you very much Smile

A28 is a collection of M-codes. These collections are generally defined for a particular model year or a range of model years, and can be different from year to year.

I do not have information on the A28 code for model year 1973 on the database. But for model year 1974, A28 would correspond to the following M-codes:

124: Yellow headlamp bulbs and safety inner rear-view mirror
506: Brake servo and dual-circuit brake control lamp

They may or may not apply to your bus, though.

Decode your M-Plate
jimmy03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

I will receive the bus next Saturday, I will check the options and I will come back to post the information for others.
Thank you
Gugsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Hi,
I have made a mistake in returning my information and suddenly can not go back.
Can you call my number 92126211
  remove, so that I can start again with the Manupulation? a lot of
thanks
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Gugsie wrote:
Hi,
I have made a mistake in returning my information and suddenly can not go back.
Can you call my number 92126211
  remove, so that I can start again with the Manupulation? a lot of
thanks

Are these all yours and should I remove them all?

https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92126211
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92226211
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92326211
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92426211
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92526211
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92626211
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92726211
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92826211
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92926211

Decode your M-Plate
Gugsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Hello Furgo remove all please. I missed a few numbers and tried it that way. thanks[/b]
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Done. Removed them all for you.

Decode your M-Plate
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

I think the site works well and used it on my 71 tintop.

Interestingly enough, I got my birth certificate about a week later and the only real difference was that the factory said my bus was built on 11/24/70 instead of 11/17/70. That part of the code on the plate is "47 2".

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:

Interestingly enough, I got my birth certificate about a week later and the only real difference was that the factory said my bus was built on 11/24/70 instead of 11/17/70. That part of the code on the plate is "47 2".

Thanks for the feedback. I've double-checked, and the date shown on the decoder is indeed correct (17 Oct 1970). I think the mismatch comes from the fact that what was on the M-plate was the scheduled production date, which could vary slightly from the actual production date.

When creating the birth certificate, VW Classic Parts probably look at their records of actual production dates instead of the M-plate.

Decode your M-Plate
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I've double-checked, and the date shown on the decoder is indeed correct (17 Oct 1970). I think the mismatch comes from the fact that what was on the M-plate was the scheduled production date, which could vary slightly from the actual production date.

When creating the birth certificate, VW Classic Parts probably look at their records of actual production dates instead of the M-plate.

Oh yeah. I know. I had a similar situation with a 67 I owned. Wasn't trying to point out a suspected error or anything. Smile

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andyv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Great work reviving this information.

I have a 79 German spec Westfalia Berlin with several unknown M codes so here are a few of my thoughts on what they might be:

9833ED. This the paint code and mine is Pastel White top and interior, with Mexico Beige lower. This seems to be original. I believe European models had a two tone option. (edit: the ED bit indicates camping brown beige seats and brown interior panels so I guess these were factory fitted)

K65
TS7
XX2

these are all unknowns, but I had an extended out front bumper and front mounted spare wheel with a fibreglass cover (ugly as hell). I don't know for sure whether this was a Westy addition in which case it wouldn't be on the M plate. It has no belly pans, and probably went to Westfalia with no rubber mats. It's got what seems like a professionally fitted, albeit early, security alarm which might have been original. Also pretty good undersealing which might be original.

If you have any ideas let me know.

Last edited by andyv on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

andyv wrote:
9833ED. This the paint code and mine is Pastel White top and interior, with Mexico Beige lower. This seems to be original. I believe European models had a two tone option.

Yes, correct.
9833ED "mexico beige", "pastel white" roof and "camping brown-beige" uphlstery.
(9832 would be uni color roof and body in "mexico beige")

for 731 there is something incomprehensible:
No compulsory combination - with interior trim M 502 (Interior lining of the load compartment with Cefasit hardboard and non-woven carpet on the engine floor)

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools

Last edited by rsbadura on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
After the M-Plate decoder at http://vw-mplate.com went offline a while back, I decided to create a new one and make it available for others to use.

You can find it at:

https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/decode/

• It's still in development, and things might need improvement
• The basic functionality is there. It's been tested with ca. 120 M-plates submitted so far
• The interface and functions are deliberately kept simple, to ease maintenance, to avoid feature creep and due to limited spare time
• Submitted plates are available on an easy to remember URL: '/mplate/<chassis nr. on mplate>' -> E.g. my own M-Plate https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92023025
• The website is responsive and should work on phones, but I've not tested it extensively on mobile yet

This was originally announced on the Automated M-Plate decoder FAQ thread. However, the FAQ was intended for another decoder, no longer online, so I decided to open this thread to keep the discussion on topic.

If you find it useful, or if you have any suggestion for improvements or you encounter any issues, let me know and I'll do my best to improve it. Thanks!

I used your decoder but seem to have a problem you might want to take a look at. Here is picture of the M-plate on my 1968 Double cab. I might have made a mistake when I enter the data, but it keeps coming up with a build date of Feb. 23, 1967 which conflicts with the community's assertion that Baywindows did not go into production until August of 1967.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
andyv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
andyv wrote:
9833ED. This the paint code and mine is Pastel White top and interior, with Mexico Beige lower. This seems to be original. I believe European models had a two tone option.

Yes, correct.
9833ED "mexico beige", "pastel white" roof and "camping brown-beige" uphlstery.
(9832 would be uni color roof and body in "mexico beige")

No compulsory combination - with interior trim M 502 (Interior lining of the load compartment with Cefasit hardboard and non-woven carpet on the engine floor)

regards,

Many thanks. So I've gone and had another look at the M plate. It definitely says 731. Underneath the rear bed cushion is a indeed a piece of carpet and it looks like it's original. There's even some marking in hand drawn red letters. It's a bit faded but says something like Vielkind L-LT-665. Vielkind is suggestive of what you are supposed to create whilst lying on it, but I don't know much German. The engine inspection hatch also has the same number on it in red pen.

The carpet is stiff and removable and is light brown. As to the hardboard lining I'm not aware of that, except in the ceiling of the engine compartment.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

andyv wrote:
Great work reviving this information.

Thanks a lot for the feedback to improve it!

I have a 79 German spec Westfalia Berlin with several unknown M codes so here are a few of my thoughts on what they might be:

andyv wrote:
9833ED. This the paint code and mine is Pastel White top and interior, with Mexico Beige lower. This seems to be original. I believe European models had a two tone option. (edit: the ED bit indicates camping brown beige seats and brown interior panels so I guess these were factory fitted)

I've updated the database to add this code. It should show now in your M-plate:

https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/92091400

andyv wrote:

K65
TS7
XX2

these are all unknowns, but I had an extended out front bumper and front mounted spare wheel with a fibreglass cover (ugly as hell). I don't know for sure whether this was a Westy addition in which case it wouldn't be on the M plate.

I don't have any insight on those codes, but that's probably the Westfalia spare tyre box. As far as I know, they were only fitted for the European market and I believe they had no particular M-code.

(ignore the red circle, the picture was originally used for other purposes)

rsbadura wrote:

No compulsory combination - with interior trim M 502

Thanks! Neither I can quite follow what that means. It's not on the VW Transporter and Microbus Specification Guide book, and I can only see it listed on forums

Looking at the Vanagon M-codes, there are quite a few of those "Entfall der Zwangskombination" (No compulsory combination):

https://www.t3-infos.de/t3-infos_j.html

I wonder if that site helps shedding some light on how those codes were used, or whether someone copied over the Vanagon codes to the Bay Window at some point in time...

Decode your M-Plate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

I used your decoder but seem to have a problem you might want to take a look at. Here is picture of the M-plate on my 1968 Double cab. I might have made a mistake when I enter the data, but it keeps coming up with a build date of Feb. 23, 1967 which conflicts with the community's assertion that Baywindows did not go into production until August of 1967.

Thanks for the heads up, you're right. That had been a mistake when I reworked the way the dates are calculated. I've now fixed it and added a test to catch errors there and avoid such a situation in the future.

Your M-plate should now show the correct date:

https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/8102928

Decode your M-Plate
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Thanks. I ran it again and it shows Feb. 23, 1968 which seems more appropriate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Thanks. I ran it again and it shows Feb. 23, 1968 which seems more appropriate

Great. Sorry I showed a link to the wrong m-plate (not yours) on my previous comment.

Your m-plate should now show the correct date and correct exteriour color:

https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/8106615

(I also removed the duplicate 8106616).

Decode your M-Plate
jimmy03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: M-Plate decoder 2019 feedback and updates Reply with quote

Thanks again and as promised here is the bus

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: