Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Venison jerkey
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

Anyone got a marinade recipe they would care to share.
Turkey and or moose appreciated as well .
Thanks
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

I have nothing to give, but I am interested in the answers to come.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

Hoisin sauce.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

Here is a recipe for beef or venison jerky.

3 lbs. of lean beef or venison
1 Tbsp. salt
1 level tsp. Prague Powder No. 1
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

Enjoy !
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

I make up a bunch of various marinades at work:
Caribbean Jerk spice w/ rice wine vinegar and oil, or Soy sauce w/ Brown sugar, ginger, O.J. & oil, or Curry paste w/ coconut milk & red pepper flake, or BBQ sauce w/ Maple syrup. Anything that has some acid in it helps, plus letting it sit in the marinade a few days is important.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

I've tried many, but my favourite for moose is Hi Mountain Cracked Pepper N' Garlic. It's not a liquid marinade, but a dry mix. The kits are great and easy to mix for different size batches.
https://himtnjerky.com/cracked-pepper-n-garlic-blend-jerky-kit/[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

Not sure about jerkey but this
is a good sirloin marinade:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/231934/cola-marinated-sirloin-steak/

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

My Dad perfected several different venison jerky recipes over the years, but the only thing I remember was he used 'Liquid Smoke' flavoring in some of them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

OK, so we have several recipes. Can any of you share the process? are there specifics for butchering, certain cuts to use, certain things to avoid, best way to dry them down?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

When I shot a moose in 2008 , ( one shot with a British 303) ,i remember using the top and bottom rounds sliced-as thin as i could. Dried them in the gas oven on lowest setting with door propped open. Cannot locate the recipe i used. One of those electric food dehydrators are supposed to work good.

Cut across the grain for tender, with the grain for chewey.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Venison jerkey Reply with quote

Use the leanest you can find and trim all the fat you can. Make your mix of the brine solutions and marinate for 24 hours or so (may have to put a small dish and weight it to keep the meat in the solution). Take out of brine and lay on a rack and allow to air dry a bit then put it in your smoker if you are using that hanging between the racks with toothpicks and smoke for the first few hours-the rest is drying out (can take up to 24 hours depending on what you are using). If you are using liquid smoke and doing it in your oven it is the same process without the smoke chips just set it on the lowest and hang via toothpicks and crack the over door to get it to dry out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: