Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Last month we completed our summer Vanagon road trip. I posted this on Facebook and it was mentioned that posting it here would be of some interest. St. Johns Newfoundland was the goal.

I was surprised at how many vanagon owners live in the North East. I had the pleasure to meet a few.

No issues with the van at all. The EJ25 enjoyed the elevation change from home and the performance was very noticeable at sea level. We really loved the NAHT. Yes, it has transformed our van into a "higher" profile vehicle, but the wind did not change the driving conditions much from a lifted Syncro Westfalia anyway. The added inside storage and volume much outweigh any detrimental wind issues. Fuel mileage was about the same. 9,206 miles in 22 days was the final result. We had a few 800-900 mile days across the plains and the North East "tree" states. Maine was fabulous along with all the Great Lakes bordering States and Provinces. I wished we had more time, like months, to enjoy this beautiful part of the world.

It was very difficult to condense 22 days into 15 minutes. So much has been left out. Here are some of the highlights. Enjoy.

Link

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Very cool and will watch the video when having some time.

We love it there. Looks like Low Point lighthouse near Sydney, NS? That's one of our "Big Print" images scanned from 4x5-inch film to 4x5 feet.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:22 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Superb Video

Superb Scenery too
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Most excellent! Thanks for bring us along.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Thanks Ron!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Let me tell you, I am one picky SoB when it comes to imagery -- and I have/had to be to build a business showing pretty places. It's rare, especially these days, that I am impressed with most of what I see in these digital times.

But you nailed this, and I applaud you. The Missus and I really enjoyed watching this, and it's a helluva effort in particularly considering you averaged, what, 400+ miles a day?

I recognize by name every lighthouse you showed, not to mention Lunenberg, St. John, and many others. The Split Rock footage is awesome, hope you stopped to see Dhaavers. There's few people as fine on this entire forum.

Very well done. Makes our hearts "homesick" for Newfies and their home, the finest culture of people we've ever met as a whole. We wept a little getting on the Air Canada plane to come back to Colorado, softened only by my then-flight attendant better half getting me into the cockpit for the entire flight back from St. John to Logan (Boston) -- the only time I did over her 15 years of flying. Ten months before 9-11...

Nova Scotia's great, too, a cross between Maine and Newfoundland. The latter is more a time machine and preferable, but both are great.

After 28 days and 6,800 miles' driving, seeing there and southern Labrador, we almost stayed. Wanna go back for May icebergs sometime.

Thank You.

— Colin Chapman
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Wow, spectacular. So much water, so much beauty. I loved the 5:20 drone pass.

And that cute pup is such a sensible size for road tripping.

Great job on putting this together and thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Tuna not shrinkable.

You must expand van, or view with fisheye lens. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Nice job! We have been considering converting to a high top sometime soon. Just for the rain and stealth camping situations.

nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Love the video, I want to hit the road again just watching it.

Great meeting you driving thru Shuniah and thanks again for showing me your incredible van with the beautiful NAHT install.

Cheers,
Gruppe B
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Love the video, I want to hit the road again just watching it.

Great meeting you driving thru Shuniah and thanks again for showing me your incredible van with the beautiful NAHT install.

Cheers,
Gruppe B

It was great meeting you too and seeing your collection of volkswagens. You live in a beautiful area!

Ron
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Great video Ron. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time "on the rock" - ie in Newfoundland. We travelled there 2 years ago, spent 2 weeks, wished that we had another 2 weeks and want to go back. For anyone planning to go to Newf - some suggestions - 1. don't rush it - the island is huge and varied with great places to be east side, north side and west side 2. Icebergs and whales - the summers vary, but generally mid summer is good for both. A hot summer has more icebergs breaking off and floating down towards eg Twillingate. 3. We found that we had incredible whale watching - actually encounters - while out cod fishing (jigging) with local fishermen. 4. Every small town has a history - and a small local fish store - mostly only the locals know of it - find it and you'll find a variety of fresh fish - enjoy it.
When we were there the weather was mainly awful -and we loved the Rock even more. We knew some people there and had the opportunity of a genuine shed party - I even got "screeched in"
This thread reminds me of another from the past
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Glad that the hightop worked out for you and will continue to do so
JC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Glad that the hightop worked out for you and will continue to do so JC

Thanks John for all of your knowledge and support. We loved our trip to the Northeast. For us the NAHT made this trip so enjoyable. Always having a bed up top that just rolls out, with windows and the power vent, was fantastic. It is cooler when parked in the direct sunlight, and so much quieter than sleeping in the pop top tent. I will let you know how it is winter camping here in the Rockies soon!

Cheers,
Ron
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

WOW, Thanks for sharing this!
jacrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Ron: Great video! You managed to cover some beautiful places in a short period. Inspiration to go back!

I could see some high res stills in the video. What camera are you using? Much post production required? You had great vibrance and colour. Good looking skies in your shots.

Thanks.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

jacrider wrote:
Ron: Great video! You managed to cover some beautiful places in a short period. Inspiration to go back!

I could see some high res stills in the video. What camera are you using? Much post production required? You had great vibrance and colour. Good looking skies in your shots.

Thanks.

I use a Nikon D750 with a Nikkor 28-300 zoom lens. It has performed very well. Post production is in Light Room with a manually saved setting. Most of the DJI drone and GoPro7 footage, needs no post production.

Getting all the shots to have a similar vibrancy and saturation is a challenge. I use Moavi Video Suite to put everything together for these videos. It works as good as most other programs I have tried. Adding whites, decreasing highlights, with dehazing and clarity make for some brilliant still shots.

Cheers,
Ron
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Presume you're using a calibrated monitor and saved in sRGB, as color was very consistent (on my phone).

Lightroom is great. Photoshop was never designed for digital captures and degrades everything except scanned film.

— Colin Chapman
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the video. It sparked some great memories as I have been to most of the places in the video. I have enjoyed Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador. Although not in my van. John
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

As I sit in my hotel room in Bowman ND, lamenting my failure to grab something to read before this work trip, I am SO glad to have stumbled your video John. Thanks!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Road Trip-Utah to Newfoundland and Back Over Lake Superior Reply with quote

Beautiful video as usual, Ron! As others have noted, full points for consistently high production values... Cool
Looks like a great trip. This one has moved to the top of my list!

I was excited to see my corner of the world show up on your return route... (I'm just 5 miles inland
from the Silver Creek Tunnel - 12:45 in the vid) but unfortunately I missed my chance to meet you
for breakfast/coffee/lunch/pie/dinner/beer on your way through. Crying or Very sad I still owe you for the great
Utah pro tips for our trip last year! Maybe next time...???

Thanks for a great start to the day...I don't even mind it made me late for work! Wink Shocked Cool

- Dave

PS: Agawa Rocks, so cool... Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: