Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

couple of questions regarding case studs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

How tight are these supposed to be in the case??
After removing the cylinder heads I was able to turn a couple of them inward by hand. I locked a couple of nuts on those and tiwsted them a couple more turns in but then I started getting nervoue about damaging them, plus they were then significantly shorter in the length they stuck out from the case compared to the other studs. (Just to be clear, the studs do not appear to be "pulled" they were just loose threadwise, and I need to know the mehod to determine their appropriate tightness in the case.)
Case is a genuine VW./Audi AS-21 replacement, the studs are 10mm no case savers as far as I can tell.

Thanks

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

Here are a few pics if it helps-- I reset the couple of studs i threaded in further back out to match the length of the others.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

No one?? Seriously??

1600 SP engine
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

I have never seen a torque listed on the studs alone. I have always just wound them in until they were a good snug. More than hand tight but don't bore them into the case. Best way to check is put the head back on and see how much thread you have left after the washer and nut are torqued on. If there isn't enough thread, at least it should protrude from the nut a little, then you should get some case savers put in. Maybe someone else has a measurement of the stud length coming out of the case.

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

Clean the stud threads then install using a small amount of sealant such as aviation permatex or even RTV. Do not crank them in tight just to where threads are flush with case. The sealant will hold them till everything is torqued.

Clean the other end of studs too, you want to spin the nuts down by hand no drag for accurate torque. The general rule with all studs is when nut is torqued you need to see at least one thread protruding for 100% coverage with a maximum of two and a half to three threads. These are aviation spec you can fudge a little with the car.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
I have never seen a torque listed on the studs alone. I have always just wound them in until they were a good snug. More than hand tight but don't bore them into the case. Best way to check is put the head back on and see how much thread you have left after the washer and nut are torqued on. If there isn't enough thread, at least it should protrude from the nut a little, then you should get some case savers put in. Maybe someone else has a measurement of the stud length coming out of the case.

Don

Thanks for the reply- with each stud hand tight in the case I do have a bit of thread left sticking out from each head nut and washer are torqued down, my concern though is that while torquing those down a couple of the studs spin further into the case a bit before the nut tightens, but the rest don't-- so the studs end up enequal lengths. In other words hand tight in the case on some of the studs is not actually tight.
If someone does have an actual mesurement of the length they are suppsoed to be sticking out of the case that would help- or how much thread left visible on the case end of the stud would help too.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Clean the stud threads then install using a small amount of sealant such as aviation permatex or even RTV. Do not crank them in tight just to where threads are flush with case. The sealant will hold them till everything is torqued.

Clean the other end of studs too, you want to spin the nuts down by hand no drag for accurate torque. The general rule with all studs is when nut is torqued you need to see at least one thread protruding for 100% coverage with a maximum of two and a half to three threads. These are aviation spec you can fudge a little with the car.

Thanks Zunde, that's my convern is that some of the studs I can twist in by hand until the threads are flush with the case, others I have to lock nuts together on the stud and use a ratchet to twist them in that far. The tightness seems to vary from stud to stud.
But I will take your advice and pull them all out and clean them maybe they are all just gunked up and that will get them to twist in the same length correctly.

1600 SP engine
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

SB - do you have a Tap the size of the stud to clean the threads in the case? I too have not seen a torque spec for the studs, I try to make sure the threads are clean and get them all into the case the same amount using a thread locker to hold them.

On a spare case with 8mm studs (with case savers) I have a 16mm length for the short ones, 21.5 for the long ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

Here's my $0.02 on studs...
You want maximum thread engagement. What I mean is, if your stud threads are 1" long and your case threaded holes are 1.5" deep and threaded the entire distance... screwing them in more than 1" does not get you anything more (all else being equal). Threading them into case so the entire 1" threaded section of the stud is engaged (no threads showing) gives you the maximum retention strength. Going in deeper doesn't give you anything more. On the flip side, if you can only get 3/4" of the 1" inserted into the case you need to do more to clean out the hole and get the full 1" screwed in otherwise you are leaving out 25% of your retention strength "on the bench".

There is such a thing as a deep threaded #3 stud which threads deep into the case. But this doesn't give more retention. Being that deep serves a different purpose to prevent case cracking.

sb001 wrote:
...some of the studs I can twist in by hand until the threads are flush with the case, others I have to lock nuts together on the stud and use a ratchet to twist them in that far. The tightness seems to vary from stud to stud.
But I will take your advice and pull them all out and clean them maybe they are all just gunked up and that will get them to twist in the same length correctly.

This sounds bad. Definitely clean out the threaded holes. The stiff ones are probably dirty. Carefully run a tap if needed, but be careful because the case will be much softer then the steel tap. You do not want to cross thread the hole.
If there is still a big difference in how easy some studs are to screw into the case holes try swapping studs around just to see if the looseness is the hole or the stud. If it is a loose hole, you should consider installing case savers. Very loose studs scream worn out threaded holes. These will loose their tension and/or will let the studs full free and strip the holes. Even if you are able to properly torque the nuts onto these studs, the may work their way loose from the case due to engine vibrations or from heat cycles slowly pulling out the studs.

You will have to judge if the ease of threading in is just clean or dirty holes/studs or if it represents a worn threaded hole. Because these studs contain the engine combustion... you want to repair any weak threaded holes.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

Thanks all-
I guess I do have case savers installed after all:

This stud I just pulled out did not seem too gunked up nor the threaded insert, but I can't twist it back in all the way by hand to where the threads are flush with the case- I have to lock nuts on it and use a ratchet. By comparison the one next to it I can twist in by hand until the threads are INSIDE the case. Rolling Eyes
If I set them all to where the threads are exactly even with the case as ashman suggests, but there are still a couple that are still hand-loose at that setting, and twist in further when i try to torque the head nut down, I suppose it means the case saver is wallowed out? Sad

P.S. I will say that I noticed some tiny metal shavings when I pulled this stud out, and it became wobbly as I twisted it furher out as if the case saver is wallowed out; however as I stated earlier when i try to put it back in I have to lock nuts on it and thread it in with a ratchet to get the threads flush with the case so maybe it's OK?

1600 SP engine
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

Are the case savers all at the same depth? I have seen some where they very in depth. if you use a different stud on the ones that appear to be wallowed, do you get the same experience?

I have always made sure the studs do not move while the nuts are being torqued to the correct setting.

The good news is that if a case saver itself is damaged, they can be extracted and a new one inserted and locked down without machining the case.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

JonRich55 wrote:
Are the case savers all at the same depth? I have seen some where they very in depth. if you use a different stud on the ones that appear to be wallowed, do you get the same experience?

I have always made sure the studs do not move while the nuts are being torqued to the correct setting.

The good news is that if a case saver itself is damaged, they can be extracted and a new one inserted and locked down without machining the case.

Yes case savers seem all the same depth.
I will say I took another look at that one stud I thought I could twist in further by hand and there ARE more threads exposed outside the case, I just didn't notice them because they were covered in soot. So maybe all these are OK. I'll pull them and clean them up (and the savers as best I can) and try twisting them all back in and see where I end up.

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

Just screw them in with sealant. You don't want them loose as they will wiggle around. As they wiggle and move they will come out and damage the threads.

Make sure to check the depth that they do not screw too far into the engine case. I had one that hit against the crank because it went in too far.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

Also keep in mind, the more you keep winding those studs in then taking them back out, you ard also wearing at the case threads. That magnesium is soft. I would also use a thread chaser rather than a tap to clean the threads. A tap will still remove some metal. They are made to cut threads.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: couple of questions regarding case studs Reply with quote

Got the studs removed, cleaned up, applied some permatex thread sealant and reinstalled so the threads are flush with the case. Only a couple slight mishaps- one of the case savers began threading into the case when I was trying to tighten down the stud more, so I left that one alone- then the case saver on the opposite side began threading OUT of the case when I was trying to remove the stud- I was able to hold the case saver in place while removing the stud the rest of the way then when reinstalled that stud the case saver screwed back into the case tight and seems fine (thank goodness.) Both of these were the upper forward studs on opposite sides of the case if that makes any difference.
Cylinder heads back on, torqued down to 18 ft/lbs (I thought I had 10mm studs but after measuring they appear to be 8mm with the case savers.)

Case saver threaded slightly into the case:

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: