Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

Can anyone share some detailed CDI installation instructions for the Jetronic equipped Late Bay Bus? In my case, a 78.

I have been looking all over (and, yes, searched here a bunch, too) and I mostly just find stories and people griping about failed installations where they provide technical details... or bragging about how wonderful their system functions without any details.

The site referenced by Ratwell (shagadelic.org) is long gone, and the pictures are not kept on the archive.org site...

I run one on my Type 1 early Bay (where I also have a CB fuel injection ECU, wideband O2 etc) .. and it was very easy... but on these late buses there are a number of wires going to the coil. The biggest concern being the fuel injection trigger.

I've heard of some people needing tach adapters, some people not needing them, and even one guy say it only worked properly when the motor was warmed up, and that they actually toggle the wiring back and forth (crazy right? lol...)... and seen lots of overall issues people had installing them on Type 4 Jetronics (both Bus and Porsche 914)...

I've also heard a similar amount of people raving about how great they were on their Bus or 914, as I've said before... but those people didn't provide any installation details.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

The wiring diagram shows everything that should be connected to the coil excepting the wire for the tach if present.

Double click to enlarge:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The ignition system is in Current Tracks #66 and 67

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

the only caveat is that when the CDI changes the waveform of the points that it then sends to the coil, the L-jet ECU may have trouble with that waveform which is is the basis for everything the ECU does. That is why some folks have no problems and others do, even with the same brand electronic ignition. These ECU's are 40 - 45 years old and there is no guarantee they still hold the tolerances they were made with.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

What the fuck is a CDI?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
What the fuck is a CDI?

capacitive discharge ignition. It takes a signal from points and uses that to trigger a transistor to pulse the coil. The points in turn carry very little current and last longer than the rubbing block. Friends used to get 75,000 miles on one set of points in the 70's but those were carbed engines that didn't use the coil pulse for FI like our late buses do.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

One needs to make sure their unit isn't one that supplies multiple sparks or that will send the FI crazy.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

Hmmm,
In over 30 years I’ve never needed one
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Hmmm,
In over 30 years I’ve never needed one

I drove almost 1/2 million miles in my 1971 bus, and another 1/2 million in my CJ7 with points, both daily drivers. Never had an issue other than changing the points once a year. There is no difference in mileage or performance other than a CDI system allowed people to avoid changing points as often. Mallory Ignition got its attention that way. So did Judson and Delta CDI. Examples below.

metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

you know, ignition box...typically multi-spark.....Mallory HyFire, MSD, Jacobs, Crane, Accel, Pertronix, etc.

in this case I was planning to install a Compufire Digital HP Mobile ... with a Mallory Unilite vacuum advance distributor ...

I guess the real question is whether you

(1) keep all the wires the way they are - relative to each other - and you just connect the CDI trigger input to that bundle....and keep the +12V stuff for the backup/fan/coil + together and add the CDI box ignition 12V input to that... and remove the coil itself, e.g. just keeping the +/- connections all together on their own junction independent of the coil. and have the CDI as the only thing connected to +/- on the coil. which i believe means the the distributor trigger wire is feeding the ECM the way it's already wired stock, and the CDI is just also "listening"

Or,
(2) whether you go and try to insert the tach output of the CDI box into the equation ... which I believe is between the white and green. I'm not sure why people do this but this is what I read people complaining about...tach adapters and such.

It's night time at the moment and I'm not actively doing the install while I'm here armchair mechanicing from my computer. Maybe it will be intuitive and easy once I get started (perhaps with a little trial/error required) but I wanted to gather some information ahead of time before I dove in.

Last edited by metahacker on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

i know we can all enjoy a nice debate on the merits / needlessness of this particular bit of technology Smile

i will quote this bit from a source that seems to be well-known, trusted and loved in the bay window community
Ratwell on http://ratwell.com/technical/IgnitionSystem.html wrote:

Capacitive Discharge Ignition:
CDI is probably the most important upgrade you can make even if your stock system is performing at 100%.

Unlike conventional systems that store their energy in the coil, CDI systems store their energy in a capacitor and only use the coil to step-up the voltage. The advantage of this is the incredibly quick charge time of the capacitor. On its own this system has drawbacks but when combined with circuitry that allows multiple sparks (so called multi-sparking CDI systems) the result is more complete ignition compared to the conventional system. This can be witnessed through lower tailpipe emissions.

Instead of 12V applied to the primary, CDI applies hundreds of volts. Spark plugs can be gapped much wider with CDI due to these higher voltage levels that can be generated. The main benefit is that a wider gap can be utilized to produce a taller spark which can ionize more air/fuel mixture. The higher primary and secondary voltage means the output current is lower vs. the stock (inductive) ignition system. You can think of the spark in terms of wattage consumption just like an electric motor (if you can run your motor at 230V you can halve the current requirements).

When a manufacturer chooses the spark plug gap, they factor that the combustion chamber works a certain way. Like many parts of the motor, the design is a compromise and a single type of spark (for design simplicity and lower cost) must suffice for all conditions. At idle, the type of spark preferred is long and slow burning. This is because the mixture has less assistance from the incoming air charge to create the turbulence required that helps the flame produced by the ignition event to propagate. At high rpm, a spark need only be brief because of the flame propagation assist from the intake charge but the spark must still be strong enough not to be blown out by the turbulence therefore there is a limit to the size of the gap.

When CDI systems first appeared they were't good enough to replace the conventional inductive designs. The main reason was that the low current levels were not sufficient at idle which otherwise require a long steady spark. At higher rpms this isn't a factor and so this wasn't a problem for a race car that is running WOT all the time where the technology originated but for the street it sucked. To offset for this weakness many modern CDI boxes compensate with the production of multiple sparks.

Multi-sparking is limited to about 3k rpm. This is because these units spark through 20 degrees of crank rotation only. At idle this is enough time for 2-3 extra sparks but after the cutoff, there is no time to charge the capacitor and produce extra sparks so the system turns itself off.

With the inductive system, the designers have to pick a small gap, deal with a slow coil charging time, and limit the dwell because of the points "bounce" at higher rpms when not using an electronic trigger like Pertronix. For high revving race engines, the conventional system cannot keep pace but even with our low revving bus engines, the weak spark at higher rpm contributes to lost power. CDI is the cure for the weak stock ignition system because the spark is taller, is harder to blow out, packs more energy and is numerous.

Want to learn more. Look for a future article on CDI...

perhaps someone could offer a little experience about the wiring of one while respecting the party-town happening on the coils of these cars ... i am used to a coil having +/- actually just being +/- for triggering, maybe with a tach fed off it ... but nothing else ...

back to CDI lore, in my experience, these systems work great and i have ended up adding them to all the cars i have built .. some claim they help idle, mpg and emissions. i've had a newer car sans catalytic converter pass emissions with the "FAST PASS" flashing on the computer using one ..... yes its magic

so, if you need justification, they're for saving the planet Smile
if you hate CDI, you must hate the planet Smile

one could hope it will make my post-73 Bus deal better on the smog treadmill here in beautiful San Diego ...

but seriously folks, all suspicion of things non-stock aside, anyone wire one on jetronic ? Smile
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

and referencing my own post ... i would assume #1 is the only logical way to do it , but i read so many posts in forums with people talking about tach adapters and tach wires feeding the ECM (approach #2) .. which doesn't make sense to me (why would they wire it this way) am i missing something?

basically just attach the bundle of wires on the coil + to the CDI box +IGN and the coil - wires to the CDI trigger wire...and connect the box to the coil and battery... and that's it

but this is not what i see people talking about doing...which is what confuses me.

does anyone have any first hand experience?

Last edited by metahacker on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

You’ll have trouble finding your answer because you’re in the wrong forum. Go to the performance forum
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

ok i posted it there as well thx
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

you might consider reading up on L-jet before you make your final conclusions. Mayor Atwell is a great guy and there is no doubt a CDI would be fine on a carbed bus.

L-Jet ECU takes the baseline pulse from the coil, reshapes it, and uses it as the trigger for the L-jet injectors. The ECU adds for cold TS1 (cold air coming into the AFM, adds for TS2 cold engine, adds for door position, adds for the door swinging open quickly as in like an accelerator pump would on a carb, and adds for higher RPM until it saturates the injectors somewhere around redline. Anything that messes up the baseline pulse will affect how the engine performs.

The length of the tach wire seems to cause a reflection that causes the tach to bounce in some cases. Adding a diode seems to help in that case. If the CDI has a tach output that might solve the need for a diode.

I think most of the performance guys use carbs, but some use megasquirt for their FI system.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

ok i am starting to understand, i believe its the high voltage ignition coil ground spike output that is key for the ECU (not the trigger firing square wave signal)? hence the need for the tach adapter to simulate this behavior rather than just simply allowing the ECM to see ground pulses to fire. the coil negative wire can't be connected to anymore with the crazy multi spark stuff going on, hence the tach adapter simulates the old coil behavior.

Last edited by metahacker on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

I would still question how the ECU can handle having multiple sparks if it is not designed to somehow ignore them. No experience here to draw on.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

the ecm would not be fed the actual coil signal
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

yeah this makes sense now - conceptually, i think the answer is now clear:

the stock fuel injection is looking at the coil negative wire. this has voltage spikes as the system fires. this is different than watching the coil trigger itself which would be a simple square wave on/off signal. it is not this typical simple "tach output" square wave that the ECM expects.

the tach adapter / dedicated tach wire from the cdi are needed though - but it needs to support a coil ground voltage spike mode, not just a square wave on/off trigger ..

apparently, there are 3 common modes of tach output - square wave (normal 'tach wire' output, the trigger opening and closing), voltage trigger aka voltage spike (e.g. simulates coil ground wire), and current sensing (coil positive wire)

i believe some boxes support these with no special tricks (like the new pertronix), some require adapters, some don't support it at all.

i think that's where everyone hits all the problems. i don't believe any boxes will work as-is and have a default of 12v square tach output. so the tach adapter comes into play, and i think some people choose the wrong one.

so, on a pertronix digital HP/HP mobile this would mean you put it into "voltage spike tach mode" by putting +12V on the red/black wire and use the grey tach wire to the ECM. i believe on MSD this would be done with tach adapter PN 8910EIS. and with mallory this would be PN 29074.

so, literally, that means on the Bus that it should be as follows:
green trigger wire from distributor on coil- instead connected to trigger wire input to cdi box
white wire also on coil- (this is feeding ecm) should now be fed the voltage trigger/spike mode output of the modified tach output from the box. (not the standard tach wire, which is where people hung up)

thereotically, it should provide a more accurate input to the ECM since it will be simulated/controlled as it's synthetic, and not require so much tolerance on the part of the ECM having to read what's happening at the coil, which could be variable

that is just a hypothesis at this point but it seems logical

i guess now that i installed it in my mind i should give it a shot on the car
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

Quote:
i believe some boxes support these with no special tricks (like the new pertronix), some require adapters, some don't support it at all.

i think that's where everyone hits all the problems. i don't believe any boxes will work as-is and have a default of 12v square tach output. so the tach adapter comes into play, and i think some people choose the wrong one.

It may be this simple yes. And, you may be the one to figure it out in a way others can rely on. Once you get to a waveform and voltage that the ECU can live with, you can always adjust the AFM to get the mixture where you want it. It is that waveform trigger that has to be within the scope the ECU can deal with. I don't know anyone who has actually watched that wave on a scope, and then emulated it using different wave forms from a tach box. Telford Dorr might have when he converted his 1971 to fuel injection.

the points closing creates a pulse in the primary side of the coil as current flows thru it, and a large magnetic field around the coil. When the points open the magnetic energy goes thru the spark plug in a surge of electricity as that magnetic field collapses. A small pulse is generated in the primary too. It is that small wave in the primary that tells the ECU when to send fuel and for how long. Then the ECU has all those other things it needs to know to lengthen that pulse to meet the demand. The ECU has circuits that reshape that wave from the coil, probably into a square wave, and then amplifies it to use it as the triggering signal to the electronics that ground the injectors to open them. There is no doubt in my mind that some electronic ignitions will work with the ECU. VW used a hall effect electronic ignition in their 1979 California buses. But that bus uses a different double relay and a different ECU in addition to an O2 sensor to help regulate the mixture. I have written Richard tonight to see what brand CDI's he tested on FI buses and had good luck with them. They do cut down the maintenance needed in the distributor for those who don't want to fiddle with the points once a year. If points are still used with a CDI ignition the rubbing block still needs some cam lobe grease once in awhile.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: CDI install instructions for Jetronic buses Reply with quote

that makes sense.

i assume that the ECM is just trying to simply derive RPM from the coil negative spikes?

and simultaneously uses the AFM board to provide variable resistance input (e.g. the ohm relative fuel map, so to speak) as the wiper arm is moving around the little laser trimmed tuned resistance paths....

and the product of these two inputs (and whatever else might be in the mix, altitude switch, 79 CA Smog stuff, etc.) to run fuel injector duty cycle?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: