Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adventurewagen Panel?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boogerweld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Adventurewagen Panel? Reply with quote

We just drug this gem out of the woods. 1970 (ignore the tail light hack) with an Adventurewagen conversion. The interior is (or was) genuine Adventurewagen cabinetry. What throws is the fact that it is a panel van. M-code says shipped to L.A. as a panel. Did Adventurewagen convert whatever they could get their hands on? Perhaps the original owner took it to Adventurewagen and had it converted? Anybody else have anything similar?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventurewagen Panel? Reply with quote

I don’t know, but that thing is tough looking. I like the windows. Any interior photos?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boogerweld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventurewagen Panel? Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
I don’t know, but that thing is tough looking. I like the windows. Any interior photos?

Nothing I'd share Very Happy . PO left top vent open for 25 years in the temperate rain forest of Oregon. All the interior delaminated and fell apart in my hands..strangely the floors remained solid.
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventurewagen Panel? Reply with quote

Over the years, "AdventureWagen" went through a succession of different owners & names. Ed Anderson, the original designer & founder, was actually forced to take the company back from one buyer who defaulted & went bankrupt. IMHO it seemed as though Ed always tried to design & build quality campers, (mildly speaking) a goal not always at the forefront in some of the other aftermarket conversion operations.

Even in the 1980s Vanagon era, AdventureWagen would allow owners of VWs to have their own buses/vans converted at AW's NorCal facilities. They also licensed certain VW dealerships to buy the "kits" & install them as AdventureWagens on new & used VW buses/vans in remote locations. If yours was an AdventureWagen factory or factory-authorized installation, it should have attached a California DMV tag stating camper/house-car certification, the date & manufacturer of the conversion.

If not restorable, the demise of your camper's original interior could be looked on as an opportunity to adapt in appropriate Westfalia interior components, or design/fabricate/install something to fit your own unique specifications. Enjoy.
68 Westy
(+ others)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: