Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning brown spots from sycamore tree
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Cleaning brown spots from sycamore tree Reply with quote

I have tree large sycamore trees near my driveway, and throughout the time from spring to fall at least, they are always leaving little brown spots all over my cars. I'm not totally sure if they are some kind of sap residue, or some kind of aphid shit. General google searches indicate that it's potentially aphids but I really don't have a great way to tell.

Either way, I've never had much luck cleaning them off. Tried different types of car wash soap, dawn, hot water, etc. I think I tried a buffer once and had moderate luck. I once paid a detailer way too much and he got most but not all of them off my '73 Bus.

They do eventually seem to fade or go away or wear away over time--for example, I started parking my Golf on the street (which is under a silver maple, not the sycamores) and the spots are largely gone. The Golf ends up in the driveway from time to time.

Any ideas?

I took a pic of ignition switches sitting on my Thing last week, and you can see the brown spots. Presumably the darker ones are fresher and the lighter ones are older and fading/wearing away. It is pretty dirty otherwise.... The Thing is always dirty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning brown spots from sycamore tree Reply with quote

Try clay, like this or similar

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Detailing-Clay/dp/B0002NYE5W
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning brown spots from sycamore tree Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:

Another thing to try is some of the sap removal products have denatured alcohol in them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning brown spots from sycamore tree Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:

Another thing to try is some of the sap removal products have denatured alcohol in them.

Seems like I might have tried alcohol in the past, and was concerned about it removing paint.

Maybe I can move to a place without the stupid trees, and be done with it!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: