Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

I am considering a Dual Master Cylinder Brake Conversion in my 61 Bug.

What options are there for the reservoir? Id like to keep the reservoir in the trunk in the stock location, prefer a see thru container for ease of checking the level, and wish to retain the stock window washer bottle next to the reservoir. I recall some Volvo might work nicely, but dont remember exactly.

What options are there? Will someone provide photographs?

Thanks

Bug On! With Safer Brakes!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

1967 Beetle was dual circuit master. Reservoir is in the same place. WW has them new.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

IIRC the Volvo reservoir was a direct mount on the master cylinder similar to what CIP.com sells.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D611%2D301%2DDCC

I converted my 1960 to dual circuit master cylinder and used the 1967 reservoir method. It has worked well especially this spring when I had a major leak out of a front wheel cylinder.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
IIRC the Volvo reservoir was a direct mount on the master cylinder similar to what CIP.com sells.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D611%2D301%2DDCC

I converted my 1960 to dual circuit master cylinder and used the 1967 reservoir method. It has worked well especially this spring when I had a major leak out of a front wheel cylinder.

When i first got my 61 Bug, 40 years ago as a kid it had 155K mikes on it (Dad bought it new) driving to highschool the single circuit mater blew out. Had to drive home using the parking brake. Dad and me had just rebuilt the motor and tranny, but not the brakes.
It blew out while coming up to a red light, pedal to the floor, Yikes!

Since my brakes have an issue right now, I am thinking maybe now is the time to upgrade to a dual system. I also need to replace the link and king pins. I replaced them 40 years ago, that was about 180K miles ago, first set from factory went to about 155K miles. The tranny Dad and I rebuilt has lasted longer than the original, still good 155K miles verses 180Kmiles and still going strong. the old 40 Hp motor was replaced with a dualport 1600 maybe a decade ago.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Here's some reading and pictures. I have also done it if you need more pictures.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Here's some reading and pictures. I have also done it if you need more pictures.

Lots of good details in the above thread. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611301H
It’s not a difficult job to do. There are 3 modifications to be done.
1) Enlarge the hole behind the reservoir sufficiently to allow the two reservoir outlet tubes to fit through.

2) Fabricate a longer retaining strap to secure the reservoir.

3) Use adapters to join the hoses from the 1967 reservoir (5mm) to the inlet hoses on the dual m/c (7mm). Some suggest cutting off the outlets on a plastic fuel filter and using that or buying brass reducer fittings. I used the reducer fittings.

Although not absolutely necessary, I removed the fuel tank to do this job. I changed all the metal brake lines including the front to rear. Fuel tank removal makes that job easier. Also changed the steering coupler while I was at it. It was likely original and was in bad shape. Good idea to check that.
You’ll need two brake light switches. I would opt for the better quality ones like WW sells.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

If you want to retain it under the hood, in the original location and have it semi transparent to see the level.... the 1967 reservoir is the way to go..

You will have to make the retaining strap longer and you will have to open the sheet metal pass through hole for the double spout reservoir.
Use the correct brake fluid compatible flexible tubing and brake piping to connect the reservoir to the master cylinder.

Its all in here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604177

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

This pic illustrates the direct mount reservoir. You drill a hole in the top of the reservoir and pop in a grommet. Then put the line from the original reservoir into the grommet. So the original reservoir look is maintained and essentially becomes like a funnel. You would have to check brake fluid level by looking through the wheel well area. Not exactly convenient.

So again, using the 1967 reservoir method would be my first choice for sure.

wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

There is actually a third option. Can’t say that I’ve ever seen it done on a bug. You purchase a special bracket and brake lines and use the ‘68 and up reservoir. So fluid level is easy to check without having to remove spare tire.
Still like the ‘67 method.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31%2D809%2D021%2D111
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D611%2D806
VeeDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

I have another option.
I use it on cars where you shoudn't see or smell anything other then "genuine VW".

Pictures are from a 65 I did last year, but it is similar to your 61.

Reservoir on the right is from a T2b

Simple 10mm adapter tube and common o-ring

How it will fit

Done!

Any difference from original?

always aircooled

VeeDee
VeeDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

A parts list for those who want to copy the conversation:

No. part number description

1 113 611 301 G fluid reservoir 1, upper, opened up for connector to 10mm
2 211 611 313 J fluid reservoir 2, lower
3 211 611 805 E tube, cut to lenght
4 211 611 833 D rubber gasket
5 selfmade connector tube 10x1x40
6 common rubber-o-ring 11x1
7 common tube clamp 12

Good luck

VeeDee
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

VeeDee wrote:
A parts list for those who want to copy the conversation:

No. part number description

1 113 611 301 G fluid reservoir 1, upper, opened up for connector to 10mm
2 211 611 313 J fluid reservoir 2, lower
3 211 611 805 E tube, cut to lenght
4 211 611 833 D rubber gasket
5 selfmade connector tube 10x1x40
6 common rubber-o-ring 11x1
7 common tube clamp 12

Good luck

VeeDee

Which MC were you using?

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
This pic illustrates the direct mount reservoir. You drill a hole in the top of the reservoir and pop in a grommet. Then put the line from the original reservoir into the grommet. So the original reservoir look is maintained and essentially becomes like a funnel. You would have to check brake fluid level by looking through the wheel well area. Not exactly convenient.

So again, using the 1967 reservoir method would be my first choice for sure.

I was considering doing it this way with the grommet on top of the lower reservoir. Is there any issue with fluid coming out of the vent hole on the lower reservoir?
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

I know the usual EMPI reservoir that plugs directly in the master cylinder won`t work on a German cylinder due to the size of the openings
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

Thanks Bryan; I have seen that this little tank is for Brazilian MCs.

My question is about the cap on the little tank. The line from the regular reservoir in the trunk runs down to go in the little grommet, so you can keep the old reservoir to feed this lower one. It seems that would then make the lower reservoir completely full with fluid; would fluid then come out of the vent on the cap? The tank isn't usually filled all the way, after all.

Thanks
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Brake Conversion Reservoir. Reply with quote

I'll throw my hat in the ring I guess Smile

I went with the CSP underhood mount and a late model dual reservoir on my '59, after years of running the direct mount reservoir. I grew tired of having to remove a tire to (only barely) be able to access the MC & reservoir.

Here are some photos. Warning: my car is currently a mess of wiring, and I'm working on cleaning that up. My main aim is to show the new underhood reservoir, not the 1% wizardry 99% hackery that I have perpetrated. Alot of the wiring mess is from the Autometer monster 10000 rpm tach, oil pressure and oil temp and cylinder head temp gauges as well as the headlight relays to help with seeing things at night.

Also, notice the photo with the red arrow, which I added to call attention to the little hole through the chassis through which the steel line fits. While I was in there, I replaced the 2 little gaskets that cap off the hole on the outside and inside. Those things were a PAIN to install, but I'm glad I did so that I can now hopefully drive in the rain without the floorboards getting wet, lol.

Notice also where I opened up the body by the gas tank opening. I did that with a 3/4" holesaw, and I actually chopped up and used the gaskets that I had previously used with the direct mount reservoir to provide a fairly good seal and prevent the new blue hoses from getting cut on the body metal.

Ted

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: