Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late type 3 fresh air scoops
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type3 Viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Late type 3 fresh air scoops Reply with quote

Hi! Very Happy
Have anyone here made scoops (or have for sale) that fit over the louvres on the front hood on late models? I have seen pictures on here before of some scoops, but i think they are a bit like chicken teeth (RARE)... Would be nice to have something to cover the holes in the rain so I don't feed the rust monster in the fresh air box more than necessary Laughing

Thank you! Very Happy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Late type 3 fresh air scoops Reply with quote

Me too I would like to know if anyone has them or even a fiberglass variety of one.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Late type 3 fresh air scoops Reply with quote

https://www.glass-action.com/index.php/products/TYPE-3-SIDE-SCOOPS-p84765241

Glass Action lists a fiberglass version for $70. I recently ordered some speaker panels from GA and had them in hand reasonably fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type 3 fresh air scoops Reply with quote

FastyOrange wrote:
https://www.glass-action.com/index.php/products/TYPE-3-SIDE-SCOOPS-p84765241

Glass Action lists a fiberglass version for $70. I recently ordered some speaker panels from GA and had them in hand reasonably fast.

Link is for side scoops, not hood.

And to the OP, do you want a scoop (to bring more air in), or covers (to keep crap out)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type 3 fresh air scoops Reply with quote

{[do you want a scoop (to bring more air in), or covers (to keep crap out)? ]}
Both...bring in air and keep the crap out. Wish someone mfg that Item.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type 3 fresh air scoops Reply with quote

Well, you can't do both, other than to remove the airbox, repair it, replace seals, and make sure the drains are clear. Maybe add a fine screen right under the slats; some install it from below, some fish it in through the slots and hold up with fine wire.

I cleaned out my airbox and drains, but didn't use the screen. ut I blow compressed air in there every once in a while, while things are dry, and that seems to get the leaves and seeds out, and I figure anything smaller will go out with the water through the drains.

Oh, and same questions applies to the OP.
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type 3 fresh air scoops Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Link is for side scoops, not hood.

Ah missed the word front! Thanks for catching that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mgerdau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Late type 3 fresh air scoops Reply with quote

I bought from glass-action. Besides, the side scoops I also purchased the dash, console, and rear apron.

I currently have the rear fenders off of my squareback and I'm doing body work.

I have the rear apron on - looks awesome and it was easy to do. The side scoops I have several ideas on how to mount them but I'm looking for more ideas.

One idea is just to mount the scoops over the rear louvers, but I don't like the corners of the scoops - it would take a lot of bondo to hide them.

Second idea is to cut the louvers out, mount them inside the scoops (cover the inside of the louvers with some screen), then mount the scoops from the inside of the fender.

I figure the scoops are only cosmetic anyway, but think the louvers are necessary, and the screen will help keep stuff out of the air boxes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: