Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front tire recommendation
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Front tire recommendation Reply with quote

So I built my bug in 03' and at the time 135's were the thing. I have since moved from rural Iowa to Daytona Beach and the traffic here is bad. I also have built an efi turbo system for the stock engine. So I figure it's time to put a little more tire in the front for me. It also has a 5" beam with 2.5"drops spindles and 135's up front, 205/65/15" in the rear.
I love the way the 135's look but they skid pretty easily. And recommendations on a front tire size that would fit well and still look pretty good? The pic isn't the best angle, but it should give you an idea
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire recommendation Reply with quote

Great looking car! If the goal is to get a little more front tread on the ground so you're not sliding around like on the 135's then 165/60's (22.8" tall), 165/65's (23.4"), 175/55's (22.6"), 175/60's (23.3"), 175/65's (24"), 185/55's (23") and 185/60's (23.7") all have a bigger footprint and will fit the bill.

Hope this helps. Al

Last edited by ALB on Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire recommendation Reply with quote

I like the 185X60 Firestone I have on the front of my lowered square.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front tire recommendation Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes, I'd like a little more tire on the road. It slides pretty easily. Could need a little more work on the rear brakes too. I'm sure I'm about the same as 90% of the other guys here. I love the look of the 135's but they are a bit dangerous here with all the crazy drivers on the road. So close to a 135 but a bit wider would do for me.
Also now I'm inching up on 250hp so it will need some disks soon. But I will still need more meat on the road so I will start with tires.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front tire recommendation Reply with quote

This will help when choosing what size you can fit.

Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes | Tacoma World
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire recommendation Reply with quote

Thanks. I saw something like that before. I think I might try a 155/60 or maybe a 165/60.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front tire recommendation Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Thanks. I saw something like that before. I think I might try a 155/60 or maybe a 165/60.

Looks like you've got plenty of room up front.
Could probably fit a 175/65r15
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front tire recommendation Reply with quote

buguy wrote:

Look at the tire footprint chart I put together-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712405
if you're looking for more rubber on the ground a 155/60 is not much different than a 135.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front tire recommendation Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Looks like you've got plenty of room up front.
Could probably fit a 175/65r15

I think that is what I would recommend too. It is just a fraction of an inch taller than the 135R15 and would put a lot more rubber on the road. It is designed to be used on 5 inch to 6 inch wheels.

I went from 135R15 to P145/65R15 tires on my beach buggy and the handling dramatically improved. That size is noticeably smaller than the 135R15. Stepping up to P175/65R15 should put just a little more rubber still on the road, for even better handling and braking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: