Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have until May
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Can you drill in from the transmission side? Drilling the head of that bolt off might free it.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Can you drill in from the transmission side? Drilling the head of that bolt off might free it.

That's an idea but I don't think that there is room for a drill in there. If I could get the oil cooler off (tins are in the way of the mounting bolts and tins can't be removed without removing engine.....) I could get an air hammer on the bolt head and drive it out.
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
When you go to put that engine back in you're going to need a new captive nut as the doghouse oil cooler will make accessing that difficult if not impossible. Here are a couple of links that had been offered in another thread on this issue so you can get the part when you need it

Joel wrote:
sb001 wrote:
no true actual VW replacement available.

Just search for case captive nut or Part #111101135, several places sell them like VWheritage etc

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Captive-nut-fo...183292.htm

Cusser wrote:
I've got this saved as Engine Case Nut Insert Captive Nut
https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/engine-case-nut-insert-111199102/
Part #111 199 102
This nut came on all dual relief cases. This is because with a doghouse cooler it is near impossible to get a nut off or on once the engine is in. If you're putting a dual relief case on a transmission that took a single relief case, make sure you grind off the locking boss for the bolt on the clutch arm side before you put the motor in. Be careful not to crack the case when installing. Rig up a pipe that has a notch to match the notch on the flywheel side of the case. Draw the nut into the case with a bolt.

And here's the thread that those quotes came from

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7061930

The engine in your bug may have come from a later model so there are some differences. The common idea that all these parts can be mixed and matched across the years is only partially true. Volkswagen was constantly making changes sometimes even mid-year so often times there are little modifications needed to get things to match together you never know how the prior owner got it done.

Cussers comment about the locking boss for the bolt on the transaxle side is something that may be a clue to help your quest.

Digging around in the links pointed me to this https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/engine-case-nut-insert-111199102/

"If you're putting a dual relief case on a transmission that took a single relief case, make sure you grind off the locking boss for the bolt on the clutch arm side before you put the motor in. Be careful not to crack the case when installing. Rig up a pipe that has a notch to match the notch on the flywheel side of the case. Draw the nut into the case with a bolt."

Guess what wasn't done by one of the PO's Very Happy Well I am still stuck but at least I know why. Also, how the hell was this installed flush like this?!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

It'll be a bitch, but since the head is off the speed nut, it should just pull through the case.

Try jacking the engine up so that there is a gap between the engine & trans, place a coin or screwdriver in between & lower the engine & repeat as it pull through. The closer you can get to the top, the less likely you are to crack the ear off the case.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It'll be a bitch, but since the head is off the speed nut, it should just pull through the case.

Try jacking the engine up so that there is a gap between the engine & trans, place a coin or screwdriver in between & lower the engine & repeat as it pull through. The closer you can get to the top, the less likely you are to crack the ear off the case.

That's not a bad idea. I am checking now how hard it is to just pull the transmission with it. Once out I can have much better access to everything.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Pulling the tranny attached to the engine is not an option. The differential flanges will not clear the frame horns. They need to move past the end of them.

You stated earlier about having an oil cooler wrench. I have one made by a company in Germany. I had a fellow mechanic take a cheap 10mm box end wrench and bend it to do the same thing. Might be worth it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Pulling the tranny attached to the engine is not an option. The differential flanges will not clear the frame horns. They need to move past the end of them.

You stated earlier about having an oil cooler wrench. I have one made by a company in Germany. I had a fellow mechanic take a cheap 10mm box end wrench and bend it to do the same thing. Might be worth it!

Thanks Jimbo! That should be a lot of help.
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

When I bought the bug it came with new heater and support channels. As I have started to learn a little I am thinking that these heater channels are not correct for the year. I believe that these or for '69 and up body and I want the heater channels for the '68 and back.

Is my thinking correct here?
If I buy heater channels for '68 and back, will they have the heat slots in stock location up near the foot well or will I have to cut and weld to keep that stock location?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Those heater channels are later than 1970 model year. HCs changed some between 1967 & 1968 model year.

From a search for "heater channel" and checked the "Titles Only" box.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Those are Klokerman heater channels. They have one set of dies for stamping early and late channels. You get both, for every year. They cut out the vent based on the year. They work. They just look wrong. There is another producer of later style channels. I am coming up with Klassicfab, but that is wrong. They are only up to 67. There is another supplier. I think CIP1 sells them.

It is CIP1. I just looked. Dansk is the manufacturer.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAB%2D400%2D432

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Thanks again. This one looks correct to me. https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAB%2D400%2D431

Or maybe not. Hard to tell..... Looks like there is a set out there that doesn't have the inner pipe.
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Working on the driver side top mount today. Having to dig quite a bit to get it done right and the wiring harness is in the way so things are transitioning a little bit to pulling the engine again.

@VW_Jimbo - I bent me up a wrench and got the oil cooler out of there, then tried to drive the bolt through with the air hammer, then a sledge with not affect. I am headed into town to grab a cheap wrench that I can make something out of to get that damn bolt out.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

OMG Meatness that engine bolt Fiasco is something I've never seen before and I can't get my head around how that thing was tightened in ever. This is too ridiculous. Welcome to the world of air-cooled Volkswagen by the way. Prior owners have left us all with one legacy or another, but I have never seen a riddle like this before. Confused
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
OMG Meatness that engine bolt Fiasco is something I've never seen before and I can't get my head around how that thing was tightened in ever. This is too ridiculous. Welcome to the world of air-cooled Volkswagen by the way. Prior owners have left us all with one legacy or another, but I have never seen a riddle like this before. Confused

There has been plenty of PO surprises on this car and I am sure more to come. It's going to be a road to travel getting everything sorted.

I did end up drilling the bolt out from the engine side to get the engine out. It came out very clean in the end and will have no lasting damage from the "Fiasco"

I appreciate the shoulder to cry on and the feedback I get from you guys. Even when you are just telling me how dumb I am.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

meatness wrote:

I appreciate the shoulder to cry on and the feedback I get from you guys. Even when you are just telling me how dumb I am.

Don't worry about people telling you you're nuts, just work on the car as hard as you can and imagine your wife at her birthday!
Happy wife, happy life Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Oh yes, I know exactly what road you're driving down. If I may make a suggestion. Find someone selling original heater channels from a parted out bug in the dry, rust free SW USA before fitting those terrible aftermarket heater channels. They are really bad. I fitted one of those aftermarket heater channels on the drivers side during my 69 bug convertible restoration. Never again.

What I learned replacing the lower 12" of my convertible metal is NOTHING fits like the original German made metal. If I did this again, I'd find donor metal all day long vs. buying any of the new metal sold as it's just terrible. On your bug, it's obviously had a front nose impact. You really need to pull it out and massage the metal back into place. There's body measurements on this site. Doing so will assure your fenders and hood will fit correctly. Find original VW fenders before buying aftermarket as well.

The good news is after hundreds and hundreds of hours and major damage to my wallet, these projects can have a happy ending. Wink

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need help during your restoration.
Bill[/img]

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

How is progress on your build, just curious?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

It's not May yet. He's got lots of time.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Like a friend said when i asked when he was getting married? " May, may the day never come "
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Drill that bolt out. Be sure to center punch it. Drill in enough to just take the threads off of the splined nut.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: