Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skitzoidbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

First road test since it was abandoned 1979. After 5ish miles it smells like burning oil and oil pressure drops to zip. Oil light on at idle. I suspect its running hot. All tin is installed except the small ones that clip to the head bolts under the cylinders. All seals are in place also. I am currently plugging up the large round holes in the aft tin where the heater hoses go thru and reading up on all possible causes.
One thread speaks about running too lean and to upsize the carb jet. Could this carb be part of the issue?

Motor is a 1600DP. I mounted a Solex pict 30/31 carburetor, because I had it available.
Thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

Carb model is not the issue but certainly running too lean won't help. Did you check your timing with a timing gun (since your running what looks to be an 009) as you want to make sure its not over 30 degrees of advance all in.

Those tins you mentioned between the heads are important as well.
skitzoidbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Carb model is not the issue but certainly running too lean won't help. Did you check your timing with a timing gun (since your running what looks to be an 009) as you want to make sure its not over 30 degrees of advance all in.

I set the timing with a light. 7 degrees I believe from TDC. What's the process for checking the 30 degree full advance? Just rev it way up and insure it stays below 30?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

skitzoidbugger wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

I set the timing with a light. 7 degrees I believe from TDC. What's the process for checking the 30 degree full advance? Just rev it way up and insure it stays below 30?

Correct. Bring it up to 3000rpm and should be in the 28-32 degrees of advance with no more seen after that. If its under 28 degrees advance that would be under-advanced scenario at high rpm which can cause overheating.

http://www.vw-resource.com/009_dizzy.html
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

I think those missing pieces of tin are very important. Without them the cylinders are not being adequately cooled. I would not run without them. It is going to be a pain to install them now but you have got to do it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

Too lean of jetting can do that. There are three jets that need to work together like a chorus, so just randomly "upping a jet" can result in no improvement or disastrous results.

With an old engine that has sat more than a year or two, one has to expect it to run hot due to polishing out micro corrosion especially in the cylinders.

What weight of oil are you running?

Have you pulled the oil pressure relief plug/s to make sure that is not stuck, or spring/s are not broken?

Any chance that there is mouse or wasps nests inside the tin/shroud.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

Are you missing these pieces? If so, I think that is much of your overheating problem right there.
skitzoidbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Too lean of jetting can do that. There are three jets that need to work together like a chorus, so just randomly "upping a jet" can result in no improvement or disastrous results.

With an old engine that has sat more than a year or two, one has to expect it to run hot due to polishing out micro corrosion especially in the cylinders.

What weight of oil are you running?

Have you pulled the oil pressure relief plug/s to make sure that is not stuck, or spring/s are not broken?

Any chance that there is mouse or wasps nests inside the tin/shroud.

I hate to admit this, but the engine was rebuilt 20 years ago, used a very short time, and then put on a shelf, where I found it. I pulled the doghouse and cleaned out some critter debris, then set the valves and timing, put on the carb and fired it up. Yes the 20 year old oil is still in there..😎. Pulling the relief valves is on my to do list. I also read that chrome valve covers can increase engine temp by 30 degrees and they actually used to sell them as part of a cold weather kit to get the engine temp up. So I'm going back to basic black covers.
skitzoidbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:

Are you missing these pieces? If so, I think that is much of your overheating problem right there.

Yes. Those are the missing pieces.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

My Bus has a 1600 single port with a 30/31 built by Volksbitz on my Bus, SVDA distributor and my Bus has no overheating issues. Even in 100 degree southern heat.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spanners
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

Check it has a.dual port fan in there. the single port fans often get put back in a dog house, it does what you describe.
skitzoidbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

spanners wrote:
Check it has a.dual port fan in there. the single port fans often get put back in a dog house, it does what you describe.

Is there an easy way to tell the difference?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

Pull fan shroud, pull out the gen/fan out of the shroud, measure between the discs that make up the fan.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

Post a pic of you engine so we can see it. That carb should not make it run hot.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

skitzoidbugger wrote:
All tin is installed except the small ones that clip to the head bolts under the cylinders.

Am I really the only one who sees this as the problem? I don’t think that piece is optional.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
skitzoidbugger wrote:
All tin is installed except the small ones that clip to the head bolts under the cylinders.

Am I really the only one who sees this as the problem? I don’t think that piece is optional.

I totally agree.

Also think there could be other issues as well.
skitzoidbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
skitzoidbugger wrote:

So Joe, I just received a set of the small tins. Looks like I need to drop the motor and pull the heads to get them installed. I'll be doing that later this week (hopefully). I'll let you know the results.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

You’re doing the right thing. Great time to install thermostat flaps (wire them open if you have no thermostat) and “Hoover bit” (if doghouse oil cooler) if you can get those often overlooked items. Your engine will run cooler with these.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

skitzoidbugger wrote:

So Joe, I just received a set of the small tins. Looks like I need to drop the motor and pull the heads to get them installed. I'll be doing that later this week (hopefully). I'll let you know the results.

When you have the heads off, torque the case fasteners down to spec.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can a pict 30/31 carb on a 1600 DP cause overheating? Reply with quote

thing to do while engine is out:

might as well replace the oil cooler seals and main seal if it was pre 79
new push rod tube seals.
while you have the intake off, check for holes. Make sure the heat riser is clear. (this is kind of a pain to do)
make sure clutch cable wingnut moves easily.
if fuel sender is bad- replace it
if tranny boots are bad/cracked- replace them.
top gear oil
replace all fuel line if it is from 1979
bleed rear brakes
good idea to make sure it has the thermostat flaps et al.

engine pic?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: