Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kitchenette design DIY
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very cosy interior! How did you make the cool shelf along the roof?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

Very cosy interior! How did you make the cool shelf along the roof?

Shelf build starts about halfway down this page, but there's not a lot of detail.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=44

The bottom of the shelf is 3/16" plywood, quarter circles are 1/2" ply, I think. One solid oak strip runs the length of it (1" x .75"?). The middle is anchored to the grab handle location. The front has an L bracket that's screwed into the roof area with self tapping screws. Rear is supported by the rear cabinet. LED strip lighting was really easy with a dimmer and I'd recommend it.

Feel free to pm me for details! Cool
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

I note a couple of posters have advocated using 'disposable' plastic containers for water. Please don't!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

erste wrote:

Shelf build starts about halfway down this page, but there's not a lot of detail.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=44

This is an incredible thread...
….yes eventually I will make one of these shelves (if I don't end up putting a water tank up there Very Happy

Getting started today building the cabinet...

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

I Was flipping back and forth to compare wood cut to plans.....
here are Ed's plans from page 1

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

Nice progress!
Viking Funeral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

erste wrote:

...Here's a pic of my current setup...

I appreciate the real-world approach you've taken toward utilizing your living space --- e.g. the book shelf, the fan, & the high shelf which utilizes space that otherwise never gets used. (Well maybe for a coat hook.) Your space looks like it has actually been lived in & travelled in.

As a refugee from the split bus forum, I visit the Vanagon forum just to read the trip reports & see practical interior additions like yours.

Maybe 20% of split buses are routinely used for camping excursions or actual travel (if you don't count all those trips to VW shows.) Over there, keeping everything Original is the gospel, which means that drilling a new hole anywhere in your bus is considered Original Sin. So I avoid posting anything about my rear cabinets & other camper interior mods, because absolutely nothing I've installed in the back is original.

Anyway -- it took me a while to realize that all of those decals in your camper are camouflaging the front of the ARB fridge that you have tucked into its narrow cubby hole on a slider. I also have an ARB and am considering a similar install which I'm afraid might restrict the amount of direct airflow to the rear cooling vents in the same way that you seem to have yours.

Given all the stickers, it certainly looks like you've had your ARB fridge in place for a long time so I'm assuming it keeps your food cold enough for you. But what kind of clearance do the cooling vents really need back there? One inch on each side? Two Inches? Maybe Three? Did you have to cut any holes in the back of your wood cabinet to provide additional airflow to your ARB?

TIA for any advice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

Viking Funeral wrote:
I also have an ARB and am considering a similar install which I'm afraid might restrict the amount of direct airflow to the rear cooling vents in the same way that you seem to have yours.
TIA for any advice

Thank you! I've had the fridge for almost 2-1/2 years in that cabinet, running off solar 24/7 without issue. Definitely be concerned about airflow to those vents.

Here's a pic of the cabinet without the fridge. You can barely see, but on the left side that area is completely open. The panel on the right is peg board, so there are some holes. Originally I wanted the fridge on a slide, but nice slides were costly and it was going to be more work to do it, so I just laid a piece of 3/4" ply, anchored to 2 seat belt bolts and with the L brackets to the cabinet, then strapped the fridge to that with the ARB hold down kit.

Sometimes I pack stuff into the left side of the fridge that blocks the vent, but I really try to avoid that. I think a 1" gap on the sides would be fine as long as the fridge isn't enclosed. I wouldn't be worried about holes in the back panel, but for sure try to keep the side vents from being blocked.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Nice progress!

My only partial regret at the moment is that I think I went overkill on the heaviness of the wood used... the unit is getting pretty heavy, and I now realize that it would have been enough just to use 1/4" or 3/8" ply with 1/2's around the edges.
...anyhow it is SOLID!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

Viking Funeral wrote:
Over there, keeping everything Original is the gospel, which means that drilling a new hole anywhere in your bus is considered Original Sin. So I avoid posting anything about my rear cabinets & other camper interior mods, because absolutely nothing I've installed in the back is original.

Yeah, the things I did to my '67 split even make me cringe nowadays. Because I was living in mine, I cut out the front seat partition, and then installed the cabinets from a late bay van. I'm not a cosmetics guy, so I used white house paint to "touch up" the exterior. To be fair, it had already been hacked up quite a bit, but my additions were just insult to injury. Most of the Vanagon guys aren't shy about modifying their vans, but typically these are just overpriced aftermarket doodads that they think make the van look cool and utilitarian. Apparently, it's just money.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Most of the Vanagon guys aren't shy about modifying their vans, but typically these are just overpriced aftermarket doodads that they think make the van look cool and utilitarian. Apparently, it's just money.

what "doodads" are you talking about? And is that even relevant to this thread?
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

Laughing
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

The only thing weird is the propane fitting goes straight out the back of the stove, and I anoly have about 2" max behind there.... I guess I will have to find a 90* elbow adapter to get the propane fitting facing straight downwards...

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

Yeah, I had wondered about your material choice but then recalled that you were using wood you had on hand. I figured that using what you have will result in a slightly heavy (though sturdy) cabinet.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

The extra weight is likely less than a big bumper or a couple of kids in the back seat. While I favor minimizing weight, I wouldn’t sweat this at all. Carry-on!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
The extra weight is likely less than a big bumper or a couple of kids in the back seat. While I favor minimizing weight, I wouldn’t sweat this at all. Carry-on!

Thanks... it IS really nice and solid! And I won't have a fridge and my water "tank" is only 10litres... my little 1,6D NA can take it Smile
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

My only partial regret at the moment is that I think I went overkill on the heaviness of the wood used... the unit is getting pretty heavy

"Simplify, then add lightness"
Colin Chapman
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitchenette design DIY Reply with quote

erste- how do you open that fridge with the shelf above it? Can you post a pic with it open. I am liking the design
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: