Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stove burner yellow flame
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: stove burner yellow flame Reply with quote

I have one burner that burns with a yellow flame. The other is the nice blue flame. When I cook on the yellow it gets soot on the pots and pans. Very annoying. Does anyone know how to repair this burner? It must be an air mix thing I am guessing.

Thanks
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, and if you were using it in the enclosed vehicle it would also present a real safety problem. Correct flame color, as you surmised, is blue with flecks of yellow/orange at the tip; anything else indicates incorrect fuel/air mix and will produce carbon monoxide in pretty high concentrations. Get it corrected if you plan on using it. I'm not familiar with the construction of the Westy stove, but most gas burners have some kind of air mixing tube where the fuel jet is. Check that whatever kind of air tube there is isn't blocked by dust, spider webs, and kind of debris. Blow it out with compressed air if necessary. Often there will be some kind of adjustment to the quantity of air that can be drawn in by the heat of combustion. You can adjust this if needed to get the correct color of flame. If in doubt, by all means visit a propane dealer and ask them to check and adjust the mixing tube for you. Soot isn't the only problem that this causes.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Westy stove actually comes with a special "wrench" to open the burner. I will try to get an image of it for you. I suspect that there is some kind of clog happening right at the burner itself, since one works and the other doesn't.
You can open the top of the burner by simply rotating the silver disk (burner top). It is keyed in and will easily lift out if you turn it the right amount. You may be able to see any obstruction at that point. You need the special wrench or something like it to dismantle the burner further.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Stove Wrench Reply with quote

Here is the stove wrench to open the burners. You have to remove the top disk first as described above.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For more information you can download the file Stove Manual 01.jpg from Dogpilot's page: http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa...tml#file36
It shows the above tool and how to disassemble the stove burner.
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will open and see what's up. The one burner is working well so I don't want to mess that up.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stove Wrench Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
Here is the stove wrench to open the burners. You have to remove the top disk first as described above.

For more information you can download the file Stove Manual 01.jpg from Dogpilot's page: http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa...tml#file36
It shows the above tool and how to disassemble the stove burner.

I always wondered what that was for...again, I learn something new every day!
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what funny looking thing was. seems everything that came with my (new to me) Westy is still with it,too bad most is in FRENCH!! Ihav same burner problem.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, but for the sake of posterity I blew my stove tube out with compressed air and it solved a yellow flame symptom.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: stove burner yellow flame Reply with quote

Is there a specific place where the wrench is stored originally?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: stove burner yellow flame Reply with quote

in the drawer!! i've still got mine! Mwaaaa-haa-ha.

even tuned up with a blue flame, running the stove will spike my CO detector pretty fast in an enclosed van. the Mr. Heater Buddy does not.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: stove burner yellow flame Reply with quote

This post's very searchable title probably needs this SAMBA Public Service Announcement image too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: stove burner yellow flame Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
in the drawer!! i've still got mine! Mwaaaa-haa-ha.

even tuned up with a blue flame, running the stove will spike my CO detector pretty fast in an enclosed van. the Mr. Heater Buddy does not.

I get varying results on the CO detector. With the windows closed and starting a burner I see anything from no response to a reading up to 75 which drops after the burner has been on for awhile. I believe the ignition is a variable. A crack in the window or vent eliminates he smell or reading.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: stove burner yellow flame Reply with quote

If you have that yellow flame, you will sound the CO alarm quickly.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: stove burner yellow flame Reply with quote

Here is a real German Westfalia stove pot bushing tool as it is called. Mostly just used to dismantle the stove. This was the Baywindow version of the tool and it is easier to use than the flat later version.
I also believe that cleaning the pipes as noted above is the answer to your problem.

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: