Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vendor for big brakes for an 83?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

Anyone know of a drop in "Big Brake" kit Supplier that has a kit for 15" wheels
but does not require the later steering
Ive ran thru many posts but each seems to require the Later knuckles or a mod to the early steering knuckles
TIA
(Im sure its been aked b4 but did not see it in the posts Ive searched)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: vendor for big brakes for and 83 Reply with quote

Not aware of a "Kit" for the early vans. It has been done using a combination of parts from the wrecking yard. Search Jaguar on the samba and see what comes up.

I actually am happy with our early brakes. The 82 had dual piston calipers that with a decent pad and and hydraulics have worked plenty well for us.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

Thanks Mark
I blew a rim in indiana last week (road debris)
Took out my front tire and wiped out my E-brakes
Cant find a steelie 14" around here
Ive never been happy with the brakes in general
They feel undersized for any decent declines
Level of confidence I suppose
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing new 14 inch tires on my 90. I have a set of alloys and the cost to powder coat them seemed a little on the high side compared to new aluminum rims. Quite the dilemma for a syncro, since I wanted a spare that fit the stock location. Anyhow, I came across these. No affiliation. This might be a way to get you on the road.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D601%2D027%2DH

I also see used ones for sale in the classifieds here. Good luck.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

Let us know where you are. I bet there a local member that would give you a new rim. If you happen to be in Massachusetts I have like 20 of them. If you just want bigger rims (I did)than processed forward. John
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: vendor for big brakes for and 83 Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Not aware of a "Kit" for the early vans. It has been done using a combination of parts from the wrecking yard. Search Jaguar on the samba and see what comes up.

I actually am happy with our early brakes. The 82 had dual piston calipers that with a decent pad and and hydraulics have worked plenty well for us.

Hi Mark!
The 4 pot Jaguar calipers are for later spindles, so he will need a set if he goes this way.

I second the statement that there`s no kit for early spindles before 86).
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Let us know where you are. I bet there a local member that would give you a new rim. If you happen to be in Massachusetts I have like 20 of them. If you just want bigger rims (I did)than processed forward. John

Thanks for the offer John
Im in the Chicago area
Not many Vanagons in the area
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

there is a samba thread here- using BMW 735i from early 80s and MB vented discs, original discs are turned into hubs, after that its a bolt on task.

these will fit under the 14 wheels, improvements are vented rotors and 4 pots.

I will have about 4 sets of rotors machined into hubs later this year
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

same here in Upstate NY I'd give you the rim off my van..

you can use any from 1971-1991 Bay & Vanagon.
there's plenty out there, even in Chi town

space wrote:
82westyrabbit wrote:

Thanks for the offer John
Im in the Chicago area
Not many Vanagons in the area
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

on these BMW 4pots with the MB vented rotors.
I have these on mine and it took a fair bit of back and forth with my machinist friend to get them all made up.. requires boring and threading 5 more holes in the old vanagon rotor to hold the disc to the back of the new 'hub'
yes it can be done.
yes they are nice.. something VW REALLY SHOULD HAVE JUST DONE IN 1980 with the heavier vanagon instead of continuing on with the bay bus brakes.
they aren't "big brakes" the 4pots soften the pedal feel/force..
the rotors are the same diameter/leverage as the van.
but they are ventilated and that is KEY in my not so humble opinion.

puchfinnland wrote:
there is a samba thread here- using BMW 735i from early 80s and MB vented discs, original discs are turned into hubs, after that its a bolt on task.

these will fit under the 14 wheels, improvements are vented rotors and 4 pots.

I will have about 4 sets of rotors machined into hubs later this year
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Dan
I found a thread using a audi rotor and I believe a subaru caliber
From what I can gather it fit a 15 or 16 wheel with very little modification
It did however require the existing rotor to be converted to a hub

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713919&highlight=

Looks promising
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vendor for big brakes for an 83? Reply with quote

That's my thread.
It uses an Audi rotor and caliper.
It would take some pretty special 15 inch wheels to clear those calipers.
I cleared some 16 inch steel Mercedes wheels but it took an extra 10mm spacer on top of the 7mm spacing that the rotor achieves.

I ran into some issues when I mounted the set up on my later van and now I need to revisit the fit on the early vans.

I do think it will still work but I need some early spindles to play with.

Been busy with other things so I have not messed with details on trying to get some of these out there for other people to try out.

I would like to try out some Subaru rotors and calipers as they would accommodate smaller wheels but that's a totally new project.

Anyway this set up is probably more than most people need and might require more attention to your wheel and tire set up depending on whether you are going for a lifted big tire set up or a lower set up with smaller tires.

Threads like this give me a bit of motivation to get back on it because there is no reason that there is no brake upgrades for the early stuff.

I had the first iteration of this set up on my 85 with some 16 inch Sparco Terras.

I machined 3mm from the calipers for that set up so it is possible that it would have cleared those wheel with a 3mm spacer and no caliper mods.

Eventually I will get back at it but I need to get my van out of the garage and test the set up in to real life situations before I can sell anything.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: