Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release??
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know at some point that I saw a VW technical bulletin on how a VW technician or an owner could go back and install a interior pull ring that when pulled from inside would release the locked "big" rear hatch on a later Split-Bus. Ideal for a camper or any Bus as a way to get out if needed through the locked hatch. I believe you simply drilled a small hole and with a cotter pin and a round key ring you could cobble up this interior "pull release". Can anyone point me to a copy of the bulletin, as I'm about to do my entire interior wall and ceiling panels in new Baltic Birch and I want to add this feature to the interior panel on my rear hatch. Thanks for any help!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

The "cobble" is in The Bentley for big hatch. If you can't find it I can go look.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

You thinking about this Bill?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8899467#8899467
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

Hi Nancy!

We missed you guys at BNNTA! No, what I'm talking about is for the rear hatch (above the engine deck lid) on a late Split (my '67 westy).

"BarryL", I think you are correct about the mention of how to adapt the hatch latch assembly so you can open it from the inside. I'll dig out my Bentley Manual and look it up, I'll bet it's in there! A nice, simple fix to allow you to pop open the rear hatch from inside if you ever needed to.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

I can't recall where I have seen it but basically involves one small hole to be drilled in the rear hatch release mechanism. Obviously you have to cut a triangle shaped notch in the rear hatch baltic birch to allow access to lock mechanism
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

I camp in my '65, I just drilled a 1" hole in the panel to stick my finger in and release the latch. No pictures handy but it was eezy, peezy.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

Thanks again to "BarryL" for mentioning that the bulletin was in the "Body" section of the Bentley Workshop manual. Enjoy!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edit: sorry it is upside down, I don't know how to straighten the image. Have at it if you can.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

Fixed

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

Think it would be better to just leave an opening. Easy to stick your finger in and pull the tab.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

This is how they are done in SO42 westys. (picture pulled from gallery)

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

SO44 as well. No need for a pin, easy access.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

I installed juan of thems in the Dormy also. A simple small opening cut to the board is good enough for access to the “trigger”. Notice that the bulletin calls for the pin/ring install on comercial passenger buses, meant to be used as an emergency exit. For your own bus it’s okay to just have access to the latching mechanism from the inside. Not to mention the damage that the pin/ring addition could cause to the cushion on a camper. Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW tech bulletin for rear big hatch interior emergency release?? Reply with quote

Fwiw mine. Too bad I put it on the wrong edge of the new one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: