Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super beetle German style wheels
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hwms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Super beetle German style wheels Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone know where to purchase wheels like the ones in these pictures? I am looking to get 16 or 17 inch wheels and will be changing rotors and suspension to allow clearance. Appreciate all the help, thanks.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle German style wheels Reply with quote

Hello... Talk about German Looker Style Looking Wheels, gotcha...

I am going to say this, I have forgotten more info and links to German Looker Wheels than I have boob marked links,lol..

Yea, I have a or what I call a German Retro Looker Super. I ended up going with Porsche Boxster Wheels which did require disk drilling for Porsche Lug Pattern to get some wheels to fit for my 74 Super, with a Toplineparts.com, lowering kit, plus some of there other goodies.

You can also run Honda and Toyota wheels which leads me to a bread list of car manufactures that I have seen on these Super's getting the look down, but more than that, handing.. Oh, fitment is the bitch. You have to have the correct ET of the wheels plus width and over all tire diameter/circumfrance.

But to make this work, you can also use widened fenders Front and Rear, or or fenders with flares. A good thing to do here is go to google images and type in German Looker Supers, and you will find a super wide variety of Supers done up with turns into a mess of wheels seen. Even BBS and many more...

But here you go, a photo of my Daily Driver Super Looker, it is a calcination of Mainly Topine Parts, of which Jon at Topline is a very helpful person to contact plus get your parts from if you are doing brakes, lowering kits, Sway bars, ect....

So, here is my car, I did it on a budget for I did the trans and engine plus interior all at the same time, so I got lucky in saying this, I just had to put out $300 shipped for my Porsche Boxster Wheels, which took a lot of hunting for you get into car manufactures Deminsion when it comes to wheels that fit. And I just got plain lucky on price for the seller did not know what they went to, but all I knew is that there damsons worked for my Super.

Hope I did not boggle you, but this is part of the fun, and no, I don't recall my dimensions now for my Super, but I will say this, every year Super's were made, each year make runs a different wheel, front and rear, lol.. Makes finding wheels even more challenging, so first you got to figure out what you need for your particular year Super... RB

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle German style wheels Reply with quote

hwms wrote:

Does anyone know where to purchase wheels like the ones in these pictures?

https://bbs.com/en/products/forged_line/super-rs.php

Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle German style wheels Reply with quote

At about US$5,000 for a set of 4 you had better get approval from the financial controller.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle German style wheels Reply with quote

There is a Super German Looker Owner I know of in Australia the is really into his wheels, not meaning like nutty, but dimension wise. So he keeps an eye out for wheels that fit at junk yards.

Think he runs a Honda lug Pattern so he is alway banging around cold calling the junk yards for specific cars that have been wrecked meaning a lot of the lowered rice burners..

The last I PM'ed him on wheels which was a while back he had like 4 sets of 4. Different widths but all with the correct Et's. Also, they were different diameters. Some really snazzy ones. And what he found is even brand new, most Rice Burner wheels are cheaper even new vs. BBS, ect., ect... RB
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle German style wheels Reply with quote

The Beetle std rolling diameter is around 630mm which means an 18 inch rim is about as big as you would go.

I run PIAA 18x8 inch rims on my Honda Civic Vi Hatch (4 stud) with Falken 215/40 18 FK453 tyres. The car was designed as amximum size with 195/60 15 tyres (Type R excepted).

I run Bilstein shocks and the ride is very good.

The tyres are quite a bit more than 225/40 18 tyres which is more the normal size 18 inch tyres for hot hatches.

Those BBS RS rims are only available in 19 and 20 inch sizes. You would need to do some serious fender mods to fit those.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle German style wheels Reply with quote

hwms wrote:

These magnesium BBS racing rims are no longer available.
A few remainders are available here http://www.bbs-racing.de but $$$... Shocked Laughing
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Super beetle German style wheels Reply with quote

Demon Tweeks still list the rims as available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: