Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine install - prep
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

My engine has been out for about 4 years. It has been covered and stored in a fine climate, but has not been touched for 4 years.

The engine only has about 4k miles on it and was in good shape
when removed.

I have a couple questions:

1. Are there any essential things I need to do before reinstalling the engine? Does sitting for that long cause certain things to need replacement?

2. Is there anything I can upgrade/do while it is out to give it a little more power? I am already installing new injectors, but is there anything else that can give it more "pep"?

Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

If you have carbs that had gas left in them then they need to be torn down and cleaned. I would worry about any fuel left in the tank, you should drain the tank, inspect it, and clean as necessary.

I would crank the engine with the plugs removed until the oil pressure builds up before trying to start it. I might even prefill the oil galleys through the port for the oil pressure switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

You drive a bus for unobstructed view of the road ahead, don't worry about the 40 cars behind you they missed up and got fast expensive cars and SUVs and all they can see is the back of the vehicle in front of them, don't ruin it!
tractoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

If you are injected, replace all the fuel lines, paint the tins, check and replace the crank seal and clutch if they are not in excellent shape. Make sure the gas tank is clean inside. Replace any and all rubber above the tank for venting while you have access.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

Unless you are planning on building a higher displacement engine or changing the cam, the best thing you can do for pep is to get what you have tuned up and running well. A neglected engine will run like shit but it’s a different beast when it’s out right and tuned up.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

the clutch. the disc can bond to the flywheel/pressure plate after sitting, I'd go so far as taking it apart, making sure you've got enough lining left to go a good while. and those fuel hoses, if they are not pliable ditch the works.
nobody ever reported back here how much fun they had putting their engine fire out. Last thing brake fluid, if it sat four years that goes too.
maybe tires are last, those don't get younger as time goes by. now I'm done.: )
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone. This was a full restore, so everything was removed and is being replaced and or cleaned. The only thing not disassembled was the engine due to it being fresh. My concern was mainly about the innards of the engine, and what could possible corrode or dry up. It sounds like that is not an issue. I will follow Wildthings advice above regarding the oil pressure etc...

I also read that pretty much everyone recommends installing the transmission and engine together at the same time. What are the advantages of this? I was going to do them separately so I would have room to reassemble all of the wiring, heater ducting, etc.. and then put the engine in.

It is really that much harder installing the engine with the trans already installed?

Thanks again.
Nick
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

Well since the trans has a mount at the front and the other mount is on the motor you would have to support the trans and then try to connect the motor with everything wiggling around, think about it. It can be done but what a hassle.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

I never pull the engine and tranny as a unit as I have zero problems mating them with the tranny already installed. Most people would shun my method, but it was something I came up with decades ago, when I had zero shop tools and a driveway I couldn't have rolled a floor jack on if I had had one to use.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine install - prep Reply with quote

Until I actually removed the engine and transmission together as an assembly I never believed that it would be easier... but it was. The T4 engine needs about another inch of clearance to install by itself. Without that inch a lot of the rear tin and oil spout, etc need to be off or there will be interference. When installed together they basically raise straight up into the bus.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: