Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche powered beach Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
ruvwen wrote:
BL3Manx some close pics of the front and rear bump / lift block. So while I check with the Manx Registry experts, do you conclude this is an authentic Meyers Manx body? To me it makes sense that this is the original Manx body which Ben Heiderich imported from the USA to use it as a pattern to replicate the body for his Hispano Aleman buggies. Being his own buggy he probably opted for keeping the original one for himself

From everything else and the two lifting blocks I'm pretty confident that is an original Meyers Manx 2 body(with a modified rear end for more engine coverage).

Looking at your picture of the rear lifting block, just above it I believe I can see the four holes in the fiberglass where the pop-rivets were which held the original serial number tag to the body.

Its not uncommon for the rivets on the tags to be drilled out and the tag removed by people before they repaint a body. Its often lost

Here is a picture of where the serial number tag would have originally been on a Manx 2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Will definetely contact the Meyers Manx registry for a proper authentication
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

And now moving to the engine chapter, this was a pretty straightforward exercise, which included a full clean of the case, sanblasting and powdercoating the engine tin, dynamo rebuilt, engine oil change, valves adjustment, fuel pump rebuild, carbs rebuild, etc

52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible

Last edited by ruvwen on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

so continuing with the resto work....

The Porsche 741 gearbox was pretty straighforward as well, as a simple cleaning was enough. We later detailed it and replaced the rubber boots

With the wheels I wanted something more special and more in line with the Porsche theme of the buggy, so I decided to skip the widened VW beetle wheels the buggy was originally equipped with. Instead I bought some original 356 wheels (which at 100€ the set was a pretty good deal) and enlarged them to 6" and 9"

Tyre-wise I opted for Cooper Cobra's, with 215/65R15 in front and some chunky 255/70R15 in the rear

52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
trynne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

Very cool project. In 1967 my brother and I built a Manx using a 356 Super engine with 2 liter jugs onto a 65 beetle chassis. The guy who owned the car had put the front end into a tree at 60 mph and was pissed his car was totaled and sawzalled the back end off. We used the engine and Porsche brakes from the rear. I completely get having that big weight plate up front as our buggy would wheelstand like crazy. We used to autocross at Soldier Field parking lot on Chicago's lakefront and had it set up with a steering brake in the rear which made it spin around the cones in tight corners like it was on rails. All the corvette guys were extremely pissed when we beat them like a rented mule. The most amazing thing was speeding up to 60 mph and then slamming on the brakes. If you weren't belted in tightly you would end up under the dash ! Beautiful restoration!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

trynne wrote:
Very cool project. In 1967 my brother and I built a Manx using a 356 Super engine with 2 liter jugs onto a 65 beetle chassis. The guy who owned the car had put the front end into a tree at 60 mph and was pissed his car was totaled and sawzalled the back end off. We used the engine and Porsche brakes from the rear. I completely get having that big weight plate up front as our buggy would wheelstand like crazy. We used to autocross at Soldier Field parking lot on Chicago's lakefront and had it set up with a steering brake in the rear which made it spin around the cones in tight corners like it was on rails. All the corvette guys were extremely pissed when we beat them like a rented mule. The most amazing thing was speeding up to 60 mph and then slamming on the brakes. If you weren't belted in tightly you would end up under the dash ! Beautiful restoration!!!

Cool!! Do you keep any pics from that buggy? Would be nice to see
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
trynne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

Sorry nada.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

after sandblasting and painting the chassis, it was ready to start the reassembly process...

52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

and with the engine back in place it starts looking like a car again

52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

Nice work!

Any idea what that engine puts out for power?
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Nice work!

Originally the engine would deliver 95hp, which is not bad for the weight of the buggy.

I was told by one of the guys who used to work at the Hispano Aleman factory that the engine had been tweaked, but have not been able to confirm so, as we did not open the block
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

Some more photos now with the 4 wheels on

52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

ruvwen wrote:
oprn wrote:
Nice work!

Originally the engine would deliver 95hp, which is not bad for the weight of the buggy.

I was told by one of the guys who used to work at the Hispano Aleman factory that the engine had been tweaked, but have not been able to confirm so, as we did not open the block

That would be pretty close to the same power as the type 4 in my Buggy. Nice and snappy around town, keeps up with the freeway traffic (which the 1600 DP didn't do very well) but no wheel stander for sure.

Nice package and very nice work, enjoy!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

Ingenious use of lead in the front end. It looks like they cast it in place. When I auto crossed my buggy I had an 80lb lead block I bolted onto the bottom of the front bumper. It made a world of difference in turning in on sharp turns. Yesterday I shortened it a few inches and bolted it into the front of my LSR buggyliner to keep the front wheels more firmly planted.

Beautiful restoration!!

brad
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

I really admire the way they removed the frame horns and reinstalled them outward, inverted and above, to accommodate/suspend the Porsche transaxle. I can't remember seeing that done before, clever. It would only fit a Manx 2
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Ingenious use of lead in the front end. It looks like they cast it in place. When I auto crossed my buggy I had an 80lb lead block I bolted onto the bottom of the front bumper. It made a world of difference in turning in on sharp turns.

Yes it would. Did you not find though that it slowed down acceleration coming out of the turns or was there enough gain going into the turns to offset that?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
Ingenious use of lead in the front end. It looks like they cast it in place. When I auto crossed my buggy I had an 80lb lead block I bolted onto the bottom of the front bumper. It made a world of difference in turning in on sharp turns.

Yes it would. Did you not find though that it slowed down acceleration coming out of the turns or was there enough gain going into the turns to offset that?

I was able to carry substantually more speed through corners to make up for the extra weight. By the time I added the ballast, I had gone from my dependable little 1776 to a torquey 2333 so that helped too. But even still, my corner speeds were much higher

brad
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
I really admire the way they removed the frame horns and reinstalled them outward, inverted and above, to accommodate/suspend the Porsche transaxle. I can't remember seeing that done before, clever. It would only fit a Manx 2

Have never seen either such a modification to an original VW chassis. The amount of thought and work put into the modification should have been pretty significant.

The team who conducted the built back in 1970 were Porsche and VW mechanics fom the Madrid Porsche-VW garage, so I guess they knew what they were doing

But I really ask myself if it provides any material improvement vs installing the Porsche gearbox straight into an unmodified chassis.

Any thoughts?
52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible

Last edited by ruvwen on Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

body installation onto the chassis

52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

ruvwen wrote:

But I really ask myself if it provides any material improvement vs installing the Porsche gearbox straight into an unmodified chassis. Any thoughts?

The nose cone of the 356 gear box appears much wider than the Type 1 VW transaxle. I don't believe it would fit between the frame horns in the stock location.

Also they were able to use the stock Porsche 356 "U" shape rear transaxle mount. A brilliant redesign and superb craftsmanship!

ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche powered beach Buggy Reply with quote

some more update pics

52 Pre-A convertible
53 11G
54 113
54 151
54 Pre-A
58 typ14
61 typ14 convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: