Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
pineapplejellybeans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Hi all,
i'm trying to upgrade from a 71 bus to a new van and looking for a high weight capacity plus high towing capacity for a mid size van.
I really love vanagons and syncros and am open to other types similar.
Does anyone know what van might be able to tow the best?
or maybe better with a suburu engine or something like that?

I would be using it mainly as a daily driver, but every now and then (3-8x a year) i would need to tow (2-4k lbs) and it would be nice to do it without having to rent a vehicle each time.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

A 2wd can hook up 2t and a Syncro 2,5t
No need for a other engine than 95hp wbx or JX.
But you need to modify the engine cooling.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Quote:

good info... thank you..

but what's the reason for this difference since both van use the same WBX engine... could it be the difference in the gearing?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Beyond the hitch weight limit, it's not what you can PULL so much as what you can STOP.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Towing capacity drops as a function of vehicle age.
Exponentially.
VW specified 2T & 2.5T but do they specify for how many miles the van can do this?
2T and 2.5T is when the van is new, and they do not tell you how many miles the van can do this.
Because they don't know "the duty" ---- is it every day or once per year?
They cannot know.
It would be interesting if anyone knows if VW's published service intervals for "commercial use".
You should assume the 2T and 2.5Tonne are when the van is "MFR new condition" (or perhaps under a commercial usage maintenance program.)

30 years later, things are very much different.
Many parts in a 30-year old transaxle that you buy, are "worn out".

Driveline parts get used up faster with towing (as with a big engine).
The cost per mile will climb faster than the benefits you receive from towing with your own vehicle.
Recommend to choose a tow vehicle with higher capacity that is built for towing, one that you can just "sell" when done.
Not a Syncro which has very high "collector value" and high cost of ownership.

If your van has more than 100,000 miles, don't do it, your parts are on their downhill slope.
Plus, VW recommended that owners don't change gear oil, so all the transaxles are quite 'injured' by the history of (mfr recommended ! ) ---> 'non-maintenance'.
Which many owners complied with, very likely the previous owner of your van did not maintain the transaxle.
And then subsequent owners continue this 'custom'.
They buy the cheapest rebuild they can get, beat-down the rebuilder's price, ignore the condition of the lubricant.
They hang big engines with double HP on the old transaxle and then refer to the trans as "$$YNCRO".
Well it IS a 90HP transaxle. But 2X HP, without 4X maintenance, is clearly going to equal 8X $$$$YNCRO.
Plus other offenses (lead foot, heavy weight, beating down the rebuilder, old age, and NLA parts, and replacement part quality).
Very likely the Syncro you find will have endured this kind of "transaxle history" and now you wanna ADD towing to the long list of offenses?

If you plan to keep your van for a long time, don't do it.
Several important driveline parts are no longer manufactured, thus you have to rely on aftermarket parts for rebuilds, which cost towards $5,000.
Your transaxle may already have these aftermarket rebuilt parts inside, which don't have the lifetime expectancy of the OEM parts.
And it may have a bunch of parts that have already run 200, 300,000 miles.

Waldi is not afraid of towing because he owns a transmission rebuild shop, and can rebuild at the drop of a hat.
This is an interesting perspective, because if you can do your own maintenance you can do a lot of non-standard things with your rare antique vehicle.
It's not the greatest advice for "normal" Vanagon owners.

I have towed about 1,000 lbs with my Syncro a few times.
Lots of Vanagon owners who load up their vans to 6,000 lbs have transmission trouble (but there's the 'maintenance issues exacerbating the problem).
I suggest you try to find someone who will demonstrate what it's like towing 2,000 lbs with a Vanagon, before you try purchasing a Van for ---->up to 4,000 lbs. Try towing 2,000 lbs with your '71 bus that might give an idea what 3,000 with a Vanagon might be. Of course AWD will FEEL better, but ....
And it depends where (Florida or Colorado?) and how far is this tow?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Agree 200%.

When people ask what we can tow with our One-Niner powerhouse of necksnap, I answer "a chain."

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

can they? sure
should they? depends
how far?
how fast?
how much tongue weight?
how steep going up? how steep going down?

2~4,ooo#'s

I really wouldn't recommend it.

and this is me..

I rent when I can, I tow when I HAVE to.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

I've towed ~1500lbs of trailer and motorcycle behind my aircooled van from SoCal to Flagstaff to Grand Canyon and back without any problems.

I've also had a few different motocycles on hitch carriers including over some relatively rough dirt roads without any problems.

Above the ~1500-2000lbs I've towed I'd want trailer brakes and a good brake controller, but that goes for towing more than 2K lbs regardless of tow vehicle.

With the lighter trailers I've towed so far in multiple vehicles I've never felt the need for upgraded brakes. I'm sure they would help, but not really a neccesity.
1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Agreed, 95% of the time additional braking is not necessary.
They only help under the conditions where the Vanagon brakes aren't enough, the rest of the time they do nothing.
When you have 800 lbs of human butts on-board, loaded for a 4-day camping weekend and someone pulls out in front of you, or you don't see a stop sign that's obscured by bushes etc.

That's "braking capacity" in a nutshell. Wink

There's a lot of "hope" required.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

With all this talk of normal Vanagon owners, I've come to the sad realization that I'm an abnormal Vanagon owner. I got my brain from that other jar.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
They only help under the conditions where the Vanagon brakes aren't enough, the rest of the time they do nothing.....

Are you referring to trailer brakes? If so I have to completely disagree. I've done a fair amount of towing and I firmly believe in having trailer brakes and a brake controller.
The main benefit of trailer brakes and a good controller is the trailer's brakes get applied a little bit before the towing vehicle's brakes (an adjustable amount), this helps even in regular stopping or slowing down by causing the trailer to slow down first and stay straight behind the vehicle. Very important when stopping hard, otherwise "jackknife"!
The brake controller senses how hard the brakes are applied and reacts with a corresponding amount on the trailer.
Another benefit is if you start to have "fishtail" you can tap your brakes (or use the manual override slider on the controller) and this will apply a little braking to the trailer brakes and will help settle down the trailer. Trailer brakes are also helpful on long downhill descents to help from overheating the tow vehicles brakes.

We're in the process of choosing and buying a small "teardrop" type trailer for towing behind our Suby Forester and the Syncro. It will most definitely have electric trailer brakes and it will only weigh about 1500 lbs!
Thinking most likely a custom built one of these from Sherpa Trailers http://sherpatrailers.com/teardrop-trailers/the-offroad/ but with the Timbren axle-less suspension system.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Sodo wrote:
They only help under the conditions where the Vanagon brakes aren't enough, the rest of the time they do nothing.....

I'm being (mostly) feces-cious.
95% of the time additional braking is not necessary because 99% of the time, you are not braking.

It's not a great idea to put a brake controller on a Vanagon, 'cuz you shouldn't tow that much anyway.
Vanagons are not good tow-vehicles, except for little trailers.
Like 500 .....or maybe 1,000 lbs is probably OK.

1500 lbs,,, maybe OK for mostly level driving, sensible driving.
Better yet, use an expendable vehicle. But not a Syncro.

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
No need for a other engine than 95hp wbx or JX.
But you need to modify the engine cooling.

Here its 1,5t for 2wd and 1,8/2t for both the truck and 4wd (depends on the tow hook) are the allowed max gross towable weight.
I thought the regulation is common EU wide.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Here is the limit for unbreaked trailers 600kg.
All my trailers have a auto push break.
I drive 80% with trailer up to 2500kg.
The first 100k km with a JX, after 200k km with AAZ.
The AAZ has now 420k km. The white syncro is ready to get some welding, new engine, gearbox check.
Now i do the same with mTDI orange Syncro.

Sodo, VW also dont say how long you can drive allways full speed without trailer.
Its not the engine, weight, trailer that effekt the durability, its the driver.
He is responsible for the setup and the used power.

Edit:
Here in Germany the Syncro came out with 2000kg trailer weight.
Later they did a stronger hook 12.9 and VW gave free up to 2500kg, but only up to 10% steep roads.
The Syncro is allowed to pull more than the 2wd because of the G-Gear.
The overall weight van+trailer is limited to 4500kg.
So you need a really light Syncro (like mines) to be allowed to pull 2500kg.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:

Later they did a stronger hook 12.9 and VW gave free up to 2500kg, but only up to 10% steep roads.

Waldi, would you happen to have a picture of this stronger hook that VW came out with?
Also I would like to see what hooks you have on your Vanagons.
Thank you.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:

good info... thank you..

but what's the reason for this difference since both van use the same WBX engine... could it be the difference in the gearing?

I'm wondering if the Syncro 4wd feature has a mechanical advantage over 2wd (if the gearing was the same)?

I personally don't like to tow anything. If it won't fit in or on the van, I don't need it. I never check bags either when I fly. That's just me, but I do work for an airline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

All complicated by:
1000kg = 1 tonne = ~2200lb = 1.1 US ton. Then there's the Imperial ton at 2240lb...

Oh the wonders of units conversions. Wink
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Waldi wrote:

Waldi, would you happen to have a picture of this stronger hook that VW came out with?
Also I would like to see what hooks you have on your Vanagons.
Thank you.

I don't think VW ever did self hooks.
Westfalia makes hooks and got a ABE for 2,5t. Afterwards VW made a technical notice, what you need in Germany for pass the technical check and get the 2,5t into your papers.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

the proper HD westfalia made vanagon tow hitch goes in deeper and grabs 3 bolts per side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-VW-Volkswagen-Va...3635275035

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's the highest towing capacity for vanagon vs. syncro Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
Sodo, VW also dont say how long you can drive allways full speed without trailer.
Its not the engine, weight, trailer that effekt the durability, its the driver.
He is responsible for the setup and the used power.

You are also speaking to the person who has a big engine, heavy weight, and 75mph.... also how often this is done.
The candle burning twice as bright burns half as long.

tjet wrote:
I'm wondering if the Syncro 4wd feature has a mechanical advantage over 2wd (if the gearing was the same)?

Of course! Syncro divides the load across two Ring & Pinions and eight CVs.
So the load on The R&P and the CVs is (average) half of what it is on a 2WD.

The main problem with towing (in year 2019) is all the components are far beyond their "best by date"
And, new parts are no longer available.

It was all better 20 years ago when there was a partnumber for a complete new transmission. BTW how much was the cost of a complete new Syncro transmission back in the day?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: