Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a 1970 Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheelhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Howdy all.

Been out of the VW scene for a number of years, but I got the itch and yesterday picked up this 1970 Beetle. Hoping to slap it together and drive at least for the remainder of the non winter season. Car is originally from Texas and is in great shape pan wise. It has been tapped in the front and rear once before so it's a little crinkly, but I've always wanted a beetle, especially one I don't have to be OCD about. I'm excited to get it together.

This was $800

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Great start - looks solid - I like that car. Pics of the engine?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

congrats!

looks like a great buy and a fun project
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Love seeing dark green beetles. You know we are all dying to see more pictures, especially of the engine. Have fun.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Some references/texts to help you in your beetle journey are listed here:

AlmostHeavenWV's Orientation Page for the Samba
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
wheelhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

I’m beyond stoked. This has been a bucket list car fora long while. More pics to come tomorrow when I assess what all it needs.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice save. For now cobble it together getter running driving, safe of course. Sort out one system at a time occasionally is one approach to the repairs.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
wheelhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Went over to the garage after work to start the assessment. A few more soft spots here and there than I thought, but nothing structural or bad. GOOD NEWS! THE MOTOR TURNS OVER. It looks far worse than it is. This weeks project is to find a decent wiring diagram and trace out the ignition circuit and possibly get it started on a jumper tank. Fuel pump works, has compression but haven’t tested cylinders.

My goal is to assess and repair wiring and see if it can start. If so the engine comes out and gets a thorough once over and replacing pushrod tubes etc.

Mechanical and safety first, cosmetic second

g8torchad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Good luck. Glad to hear the motor turns over.
wheelhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks. Had to use the wiring behind the dash to turn it over. I don’t believe the coil is getting juice though. A project for tomorrow.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Man west of the continental divide I would have walked no run from that rust. But back East it is acceptable. Best of luck.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Man west of the continental divide I would have walked no run from that rust. But back East it is acceptable. Best of luck.

Hah. Not only is it acceptable, it's above average for a Michigan bug.

wheelhorse wrote:
Went over to the garage after work to start the assessment. A few more soft spots here and there than I thought, but nothing structural or bad. GOOD NEWS! THE MOTOR TURNS OVER. It looks far worse than it is. This weeks project is to find a decent wiring diagram and trace out the ignition circuit and possibly get it started on a jumper tank. Fuel pump works, has compression but haven’t tested cylinders.

My goal is to assess and repair wiring and see if it can start. If so the engine comes out and gets a thorough once over and replacing pushrod tubes etc.

Mechanical and safety first, cosmetic second

"It looks far worse than it is."
Setting a low bar there, engine looks rough.
Glad it's free and spinning for you

Wiring diagrams can be found under the Technical section of the top menu,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

Just to get it started all you need is 12V to the coil, a heavy gauge 12v to the big starter lug, and a switched 12V to the starter solenoid.

Looks like a fun project, good luck!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

That engine runs? Wow. Take it to a car show.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheelhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
That engine runs? Wow. Take it to a car show.

Doesn’t run yet, but it’s jst a spark issue as of now. Tracing out the coil wiring tomorrow and hopefully can get it to fire .
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Saving a seemingly lost cause Beetle can be very satisfying. I did that myself twice in the last 30 yrs, to a '72 and then a '69 Std. Beetle.

Do you have access to a sandblasting cabinet? I think with some effort, primarily blasting, your engine tin can be brought back to service. After blasting each piece individually, Knock any dents out from the back surface with a hammer placed against a flat surface such as workbench. Apply self-etching primer spray can, then primer/filler spray can for the pitting, wet sand with 320, and finally semi-gloss black. Intake manifold will take lots of work. Before you even try blasting it, see if the heat riser pipe is not clogged (unlikely). If you intend to be diligent with saving existing parts, the build time will take much longer than intended.

I can imagine that all of the engine tin fastening screws will be heavily rusted. Apply heat to the screw heads using a propane torch. Give the screw a hard rap with the flat blade of a screwdriver hit straight down, as well as spray with good penetrant such as Kroil or PB Blaster. Grip the head with a vise grip, then put new tin screws on your shopping list. Put new ones into the engine with a thin coat of anti-seize so that they come out easily in the future.

To help with power to the coil, remember that one of the large red cables at the generator has live 12V from the battery. Just run a thin jumper with alligator clips from that terminal to the + terminal on the coil to energize the coil. There should be a thin wire coming off the same terminal on the coil that goes to the carb electric choke on the right side of the carb, as well as to the barrel-shaped electromagnetic cutoff valve on the left side of the carb. I don't see that valve on your engine but it would be hidden behind the throttle return spring and that silly fuel filter. If you do get the engine to run with that jumper wire, just disconnect it to stop the engine.

The engine is also missing some essential smaller tin pieces on the left side, such as the short piece that goes under the left cylinder tin, and a section of the crank pulley tin on the left side. You should not be able to see the bottom fins of the rear left cylinder.

Any non-green body parts you put on it like we now see with the hood, would be candidates for a cheapo Rust-O-Leum can foam roller recoat. Mix a few drops yellow (or white) from the smallest can into the forest green quart until you get close to the stock green. Then go to town with the roller.

Please provide updates with photos.
wheelhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Well, got it running. Traced the wiring and it was way more simple than I thought. Cleaned some corrosion off a couple terminals and installed a new coil and it fired up with gas in the carb. It really is worse looking in pictures than in real life. All bolts are barely rusty and come lose with moderate effort. The worst is the tray behind the rear seat. Assuming window needs seals because it’s rusted out pretty badly. Luckily I have access to a shop with an English wheel and all other tools for sheet metal work, so much of the panels will be handmade unless cheaper for our time is available. I’m really excited to tinker tomorrow
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Having seen this car in person (helped bring it home) I can confirm that it really is in great shape for a Michigan car. It actually has pans and channels. Wow!

And I saw it running from a gas can today. Mr wheelhorse should have this thing going down the road pretty soon. Parcel tray needs some attention. Passenger rear quarter hit pretty good too. Fun project.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Congratulations with getting the engine running!
wheelhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Pulled the engine to start getting everything cleaned out and inspected
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Looks like that pully has seen better days.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: