Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

Anybody going to the 46th Van Nationals in Rensselaer, Indiana on 7/23 - 7/29?

We got our tickets and will be heading out that way from Chicago Thursday night, assuming the van has its new engine up and gas tank and is running well enough to get us there by that time! what could go wrong!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals Reply with quote

You do realize that most attendees will be in the "rolling sin bin" type of American van, right?
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals Reply with quote

Looks like a helluva good time from the Vannin’ documentary. 2%ers know how to party!
Wish I could make it!
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals Reply with quote

Herr Motorspiele wrote:
Looks like a helluva good time from the Vannin’ documentary. 2%ers know how to party!
Wish I could make it!

Dude, I know, I just watched that doc a few nights ago for the first time. I was impressed how much many midwest van clubs were featured. Never been to the Nationals before so I guess we'll be pups or whatever but Im excited to meet some more midwest vanners.
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals Reply with quote

campism wrote:
You do realize that most attendees will be in the "rolling sin bin" type of American van, right?

Looking forward to it, aint no halo above my van.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

Car and Driver magazine did a story a couple of years ago in which they attended the Nats driving a Sprinter, a Transit and a Promaster, and they reported that they did not fit in. I expect that while the vanners might think your Vanagon is cute they won't think it's a "real" van. Hope you don't get shunned.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

Yeah, my anecdotal experience with Merkin van peeps has not been positive

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

You guys are being too hard.

Of course the Van nationals is going to be geared toward the Van era of yesteryear. Deal with it.

Of course anything outside that realm is going to park on the outskirts. Get over it.

Yinz are still Vanners just the same, just different. They're just jealous because you drive cool rigs.

Um, ok, the Red Barn before Kelly Park is a Split thing. Ive been there when a Bay had to stay outside the gate. wtf.

What about the lack of luv from the general Split-Bay-Vanagon volks.

I was a 'Merikan vanner. Still am at heart. Driving a VW now is all.

Just sayin. YMMV
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

Meh

The issues I've experienced are wide ranging and mostly off-topic, so I'll just drop it for now.

y u rune klassik?
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

Choose yer own battles.

Good luck with all you do.
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
You guys are being too hard.

Of course the Van nationals is going to be geared toward the Van era of yesteryear. Deal with it.

Of course anything outside that realm is going to park on the outskirts. Get over it.

Yinz are still Vanners just the same, just different. They're just jealous because you drive cool rigs.

Um, ok, the Red Barn before Kelly Park is a Split thing. Ive been there when a Bay had to stay outside the gate. wtf.

What about the lack of luv from the general Split-Bay-Vanagon volks.

I was a 'Merikan vanner. Still am at heart. Driving a VW now is all.

Just sayin. YMMV

I understand some of these words. Whats the Red Barn, and whats Kelly Park?

I have always wondered why the divide between american vanners and the vanagon/bus crowd is so great. My shits an old van, same as the american vans that the Naty regulars drive. we all break down, we all customize, we all dedicate a portion of our paychecks and brain space to the preservation of these vintage vehicles.

I have never been to a Van Nationals but I come from a long line of hot rodders, bikers, and generally fun loving trashy people who like loud cars in every sense. These are my people. A vanner should be judged by the content of his character not by the make and model of his vehicle.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

Oh yeah. I remember these days.

https://www.pinterest.com/at1z28/70s-custom-vans/

Let 'em have their cake.
All is well
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

Sadly, we too have experienced the disconnect between diehard, 'merican V8 lovers and VWs. Sometimes I think they think we love Adolf or somethin'.

While we go out of our way to greet all as the same, there's times and places all we get back is sneers. But we make them like us anyways.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

Other than being in the shape of a "van", our Volkswagens and the American vans couldn't be more different. The three brands of American Vans are similar in form and execution. Front Engine, rear solid axel. Flat load floor. Radiator up front, with engine right behind it. Relatively few mechanical weirdnesses, and mechanical aftermarket support from, well, everyone. In the 70's, the customization of said vehicles centered on common, easy to achieve modifications. Wide wheels and tires. Fancy, over the top interiors, not focused on camping but on creating rolling pleasure(whatever your pleasure was) palaces. Gleaming paint, often with wild murals about anything the owner wanted. With that V-8 engine, modifications were easy and frequent. So, the people who are involved in those vehicles and their modifications will not understand your van, with it's small rear engine, high rear load floor, completely different way of repairing and modifying the engine. Our enthusiasms are toward different things.
All that being said, as long as you are cool with what and who you are trying to see, and not trying to find compadres who do and understand what you are doing, it could be great fun. By the way, Kelly Park and the Red Barn are California VW events. And even in the vintage VW events, people gravitate toward what they are into, and tend to exclude those who are not into what they are.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

At first I thought the Van Nationals would just be another Sturgis like cluster where objectification of women was a primary activity but now that I see it’s organized by an organization named TITT my opinion...hasn’t changed one bit.

The 46th National Truck-In, curated by T.I.T.T. (Truckin In To Tomorrow) will be held at:

Jasper County Fairgrounds,
2671 W Clark St. Renssalaer, IN 47978
July 25-29, 2018

https://www.van-nationals.com/

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/726490/1

As with the Sturgis crowd (I’ve gone to Sturgis twice and stayed for a total of about three hours) I’m sure there’s a subset of folks that I’d be happy to chat with but the interests and differences are so profound that I don’t have a lot of interest in finding the needles in the haystack.

Then again, I don’t gather with like-minded motorcyclists much either (1990 was the last time I attended a BMW moto rally).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

I took four years of autoshop in high school, and was ostracized by the big three aficionados the entire time. I was considered an effete "pansy" because I liked small elegant European machines, while they preferred brute force and "masculine" stylings. I've found that those prejudices and mindsets have been reproduced time and again when encountering Merkin van folks ever since my high school days. That's entirely based upon personal anecdotal experiences, but the stereotype has a long run of very consistent reinforcements.

y u rune klassik?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

They drive Mopar, we drive for mo' parts.

Tomato, tamahto. Razz

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wooden nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

I emailed back in the early spring and they said all vans were welcome so I got tickets.
I love all motor driven vehicles so I intend to look at the other vans. I don't need love. I don't even need like. Don't bother me and I won't bother you.
I'll be pulling my Russian sidecar bike, which is what I'll drive to get supplies. I figure that will get me double ostracized. Don't care.
I do have a Ford engine though.
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

wooden nickel wrote:
I emailed back in the early spring and they said all vans were welcome so I got tickets.
I love all motor driven vehicles so I intend to look at the other vans. I don't need love. I don't even need like. Don't bother me and I won't bother you.
I'll be pulling my Russian sidecar bike, which is what I'll drive to get supplies. I figure that will get me double ostracized. Don't care.
I do have a Ford engine though.

so there will be at least two Vanagons there? Ill keep a look out.
wooden nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 46th Van Nationals - Indiana, July 23-29 Reply with quote

I just noticed I had never updated my sig line to indicate my move from Florida to Louisville. It's only been 1 1/2 years.
I will watch for your van there. I will probably go early because I need to be somewhere else on Saturday
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: