Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After several months of looking we finally found our late bay. 1978 Westy Automatic, found right here on the Samba. One problem: the bus lived in North Dakota, and we live in Florida. Solution: a one way plane ticket to Bismarck. Sure it would be easier, and probably cheaper to ship it.. but what fun is that? A route was drawn up and off I went.

2,458 miles.. or so.

As an airline pilot by trade, this was a bit easier for my wife & I than most. I landed at JFK from a work trip to Scotland and headed directly to NoDak. I landed at about 9pm, the new owner scooped me up, and I owned the bus by 10.

I made it approximately a half mile down the road before I was pulled over. No, quite literally I was pulled over leaving the previous owners neighborhood. After 30 seconds of explanation of why I had no plates, and 5 minutes of chatting about how cool the bus was, he let me go and it was off to Walmart for supplies and sleep.

A quick stop at the airport to pick up the wife and pup, and we were headed south.

We headed down the road and it wasn’t long before the first issue. By the first fuel stop (after we had officially arrived in the middle of nowhere), it would appear we blew out a rear main seal... or something

I thought we were dead in the water before we had even started, but we were a couple hundred miles from the nearest civilization and had no choice but to press on. I pulled over every 20 miles or so to check the oil level. To my surprise, despite how significant the leak appeared, it really was not dropping a discernible amount.

Soon we were in South Dakota.

When we had reached the doorstep of the black hills, I started getting a bit cocky. The bus was still chugging along like a champ, and it really was not pushing out much oil. We decided to keep going along the planned route and grab lunch in Deadwood.

Unfortunately, to get from sturgis over to Deadwood, one must climb a modest mountain pass. The bus did not like this. After a 30 mph hill climb, we arrived in the saloon town to find our bus not only leaking oil but also a significant amount of automatic tranny fluid. I thought we were for sure toast this time.

We had lunch and let the bus cool off. It quit leaking ATF. All we had on board was motor oil, so I added 2 quarts of 20w-50 to the transmission to get it to the bottom dot on the dipstick, and then headed back down the hill. To my surprise and delight, the bus did not leak a drop of transmission fluid for the rest of the trip. It was on to rapid city... where we parked at a Walmart and took an Uber to go see the heads Laughing

From there it was on to Badlands National Park to camp for the night. We woke up at sunrise, and drove thru the park.

Next, it was full steam ahead to Omaha

Link

After initially thinking the road trip was a terrible idea and there was no chance it was going to happen, we ended up having a great weekend. The bus made it safely to a great little air cooled shop, where she is getting the full treatment. Over the 16 hours or so of driving, she only lost about one quart of oil. We flew home on Sunday, and when she’s ready we will be back to carry on the journey. Next stop, Memphis. Until then...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Hello,
Welcome to Baywindow ownership club....
Now, that's over...
You put what in your auto transmisson? motor oil?. Any port in a storm, I guess..
You do have faith or at least a black credit card for a long road trip with/in a new too you 41 year old bus. But hell, you only live once...(again the CC comes into play)..
I hope the shop takes pictures of the inside of that tranny or at least the drained fluid.. Keep us posted.. That should be an interesting bill.
Once again, welcome to the zoo...
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
Welcome to Baywindow ownership club....
Now, that's over...
You put what in your auto transmisson? motor oil?. Any port in a storm, I guess..
You do have faith or at least a black credit card for a long road trip with/in a new too you 41 year old bus. But hell, you only live once...(again the CC comes into play)..
I hope the shop takes pictures of the inside of that tranny or at least the drained fluid.. Keep us posted.. That should be an interesting bill.
Once again, welcome to the zoo...

Any port in the storm is right. There was an auto parts store over the hill in sturgis, so it was drained and properly serviced 10 miles later. Just had to get it out of there under its own power...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Hello,
Hey, I hear ya...
Been stuck between a rock and a hard spot before myself.... Heck, fluid is fluid; correct.
Some of the things one can come up with when the time/issue is presented.... The trick is knowing: that it's just a quick fix type of band aid and needs to be taken care of ASAP..
Here is a picture of what the Previous Owner did/used on my bus for a fuel leak. Yes, it was that way when I bought it.... Lord knows how long it was that way... Glad, I pulled the engine first thing, for new seals and inspection when I got it home. I'm lucky that was the "only" quick fix on the bus...

He must have forgotten to correct it.... No one in their right mind would leave that as a "repair" for the absence of hose clamps.... But, not too many people in their right mind would be driving around a 48 year old bus anyway.... Yet, We're all a little off in that department... though.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Congrats on the new bus!
I like your style, just going for it.
Glad to see ya took the time to check out the Black Hills and Badlands!
Can’t wait to see the rest of the trip.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Congrats on the new bus!
I like your style, just going for it.
Glad to see ya took the time to check out the Black Hills and Badlands!
Can’t wait to see the rest of the trip.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
Hey, I hear ya...
Been stuck between a rock and a hard spot before myself.... Heck, fluid is fluid; correct.
Some of the things one can come up with when the time/issue is presented.... The trick is knowing: that it's just a quick fix type of band aid and needs to be taken care of ASAP..
Here is a picture of what the Previous Owner did/used on my bus for a fuel leak. Yes, it was that way when I bought it.... Lord knows how long it was that way... Glad, I pulled the engine first thing, for new seals and inspection when I got it home. I'm lucky that was the "only" quick fix on the bus...

He must have forgotten to correct it.... No one in their right mind would leave that as a "repair" for the absence of hose clamps.... But, not too many people in their right mind would be driving around a 48 year old bus anyway.... Yet, We're all a little off in that department... though.

Yeah that’s got roadside repair written all over it. Glad you caught it before it let loose
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

My understanding WAS that airline pilots are a cautious sort? Please advise the readership which airline your fly for so we can avoid it! Wink Laughing

Talk about go big or go home! Most wouldn't think of crossing the country in an new to them, unknown maintenance history, 40 something year old classic bus. I love it of course! You do only live once and no risk, no reward (unless you're in a cockpit, right)?? Very Happy

Welcome to the wacky, crazy world of bus ownership! The addiction is hard to overcome once all in!

Keep updating your thread. Road trip threads with pictures are popular and appreciated!

Drive safe.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

If you wanna alter your route a bit and swing thru Illinois........
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Talk about go big or go home! Most wouldn't think of crossing the country in an new to them, unknown maintenance history, 40 something year old classic bus.

Especially without liscense plates on the rig!
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

kind of a judgey bunch around here eh? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

More apt to be sarcastic than judgy. Enjoyed your story, enjoy your ride!

Where you guys really excel is in resource management when working a problem,whichpeople here reallly suck at.

I do my part, telling my fellow passengers that just because they used their phone on the last flight, that doesn't mean phones are safe during takeoff.

I explain the cascade to them if I'm bored.

Last week, had to tell UA they had the overwater briefing cards on board and the slide deployment instructions were mismatched with posted placards.

Heh heh. Thanks fir flying us around with six sigma safety.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

That looks like a fun trip with the wife and kids. It looks like you and your wife treat your dog like we treat ours.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Danam404 wrote:
Oh just wait..... Cool This is mildly Judgey for this bunch! Wink I dig y’alls sense of adventure!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Nice work! You didn’t puss out at the first oil leak. Once you get the basics sorted out, you’ll love your bus even more. Just be prepared for a lot of work over the next couple of years. One piece of advice... these are really old technology by modern standards and good parts are often very difficult to find. But if you see to the whole nine yards as a “lone sailor at sea” situation and learn to make all repairs yourself with the parts you brought with you coupled with a practical approach, you will probably have many, many years of great memories.

Not all will be fun memories, but certainly great in the end.

And please get used to the ‘salt air’ in this forum. Lots of really good people with an endless wealth of knowledge. Part of the admission fare is a thick skin.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Nice write up and pictures. Excellently story too.

Heck, you and your crew have already racked up more adventure time in your bus than most of the ACVW owners on this forum. Keep up the great work.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Danam404 wrote:

More like we have seen the pie in the sky expectations of a fly in and drive home purchase that goes off the rails quick.

Have the shop check the final drive for ATF and the ATF for gear oil. That might not be engine oil leaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Danam404 wrote:

More like we have seen the pie in the sky expectations of a fly in and drive home purchase that goes off the rails quick.

Have the shop check the final drive for ATF and the ATF for gear oil. That might not be engine oil leaking.

Will do thank you! They are going through the whole bus with a fine tooth comb, I’ll report back on this thread with what they find. Very curious myself. Any idea how ATF would be leaking like crazy then just stop? It was definitely red trans fluid.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

If a leak stops on its own, it is almost guaranteed to reoccur.

The thing to watch out for these trannies is oil passing from one box to the other as there are two separate boxes that are bolted together with several different seals that separate their two non-compatible fluids. Depending on which seal fails oil can move one way often causing oil to blow out the vents while the mixed oil can potentially cause failure of the components in either or both boxes.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus purchase: From North Dakota to Florida Reply with quote

Welcome, and thanks for the great road trip report! Looks like a sweet rig.

It seems you already know that you need to keep a close eye (and ear) on an old Bus. But you also need to keep a close eye on Bus mechanics. They are becoming more and more rare every day, and the good ones even rarer. When they hand you an 87-point safety checklist with your invoice, DO NOT simply trust that they have covered everything.

Listen to advice here, listen to your gut, be proactive, trust but verify, and make sure your hired help is doing everything you need, esp. if you intend to continue doing these awesome long-haul road trips. Think of paid independent Bus mechanics as another tool, one to use when you are not in a position to do something yourself, and always check their work.

Can't wait for Part 2!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: