Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

All,

I'm working on painting my 67 Beetle convertible back to factory specs, and I'm hoping someone here might know the answers to two questions:

1) When I pulled up the carpet over the rear package tray, the surface felt rougher than the rest of the car. Is that a stock, and, if so, how far does that rough surface extend (just the rear tray - or over the wheels), and what causes the roughness (so I can reproduce)? Or is it supposed to be smooth?

2) What color were the convertible reinforcement/support rails from the factory? Black (flat? semi-gloss)? Bare metal?

Thanks for any help!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

Support rails were the color of the car, since they were part of the body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

vwsplitman wrote:
Support rails were the color of the car, since they were part of the body.

Thanks! That makes sense. My current support rails are body colored, but I didn't know if that was an issue with the PO doing a bad respray.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

the support rails cant be seen as they are inside the rockers and heater channels..😁
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

Support rails are welded outside of the heater channels and can be seen. The support rail support is welded inside the support. The rough texture was sprayed on at Karmann. Its usually where they did work to make them verts. You can use paintable undercoating or the like.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Support rails are welded outside of the heater channels and can be seen. The support rail support is welded inside the support. The rough texture was sprayed on at Karmann. Its usually where they did work to make them verts. You can use paintable undercoating or the like.

Interesting! Thank you! Do you know if this rough texture was the entire rear area, including:
* Parcel tray
* Wheel wells
* Area above wheel wells and parcel tray
* Behind the rear seat support/strut (not sure about this one)
* Below the seats compartments

Was this rough texture only in the body painted area?

Unfortunately, this area has now been sprayed over, and I'm trying to figure out where it was originally rough.

Thanks for your help!
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

Here is he inside of my 56 doors and quarter panels showing the texture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

Very interesting texture. I wonder how it was painted to give such a texture.

Thanks for the pictures!
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Very interesting texture. I wonder how it was painted to give such a texture.

Following up, the paint guy I'm working with suggested that this was sound deadener slopped on in places which might need to have more sound insulation, perhaps glopped in place and then brushed down (which makes sense, based on where it is - in the door panels, and over the rear tray/wheel wells. I'm trying to replicate, right now, on mine.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

It was a sound deadener and it did harden with age. It stayed soft for a few years and gradually hardened. The product by 3m, Body Schutz is the closest I have found. It is spray on and you can build up to the desired pattern. Make SURE you buy the applicator, spray nozzle, as you can use it 100s of times if you just wash it out. It, like the original, will harden with age. If you want instant gratification, and hardening, go with most any truck bed liner.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

They even sprayed it behind the dash on mine. Basically everywhere they did welding. They even dipped the lower part of the body back into primer when they were done welding.
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint: Convertible Support Rails and Rear Tray Reply with quote

You may have also noticed some two-bit asphalt square patches to also deaden noise. And, there are, I'm sure, some threads of people who went above-and-beyond and added that sound-proofing that's almost like roofing ice/water shield you can get at (orange) construction depot (about 3mm thick).
Just depends on how far you want to go with noise deadening.
The support rails I had rusted out on the bottom, but the sides were good. For sure are a lot of work to remov/replace, and are heavy gauge.
And they were yellow like the rest of the car.
Good luck and have fun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: