Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type4: Replace or rebuild
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedster72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

The type 4 CB (1700, dual pdsit, 66hp) engine of my bay has broken down. 1 of the valve-seats has been hammered into the head.
(Had some ignition issues on our holiday trip. Which probably overheated the heads as I could not do much troubleshooting while camping)

I took it out of the bus, and this is the situation:
Cylinders probably worn.
Crank has 0.3mm (0.0012") of movement.
Cam has the typical type 4 wear.
And off course a broken head.

I also bought another engine, W engine code (for a 914/VW411, 1700, 80hp)
So far it has no play on the crank (not 100% sure if someone readjusted this).
Similar wear on the cam+followers.
Heads and cylinders not checked yet on cracking, seating, or wear.

Preferably I would like to do full revision on the original engine, but buying all the parts (heads, P/C, cam, bearings) and have the case+crank+rods machined including type 1 cam followers is 3-3.5k.
Or can I save some money by just fitting new heads, 1910cc C/P, Web-cam cam+followers, and shim it to have the correct play?
Case has not been align bored before, but the crank had the 1st grind on main+rod bearings. I probably should get a micrometer instead of a digital calliper to have the full reading and see if they are still round, not oval.

Or am I better off by using the second engine? It has already more HP due to higher compression and different cam.
When checked the the heads+C/P to be OK I can swap the engine tins and carburettors and be ready for installation. But it has the cam wear and a different oil/ventilation setup.

It's not a daily, so it can probably last for a while considering the cam wear. But I should be able to trust the engine when we go on a trip, which is why I ordered a CHT sensor too.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

You had detonation issues with the 66 hp engine? It must have been freakinīhot, or the ignition timing way off.
Anyway, the 80 hp is a much better set up engine, but If you plan on using the same carbs and ignition (from the 66 hp) you need to rejet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

The CB engine I rebuilt for my Buggy had been run too hot in a Bus as well. All it really needed was a cam (not related to overheating) and another head (one was cracked) and it would have been good to go. The pistons and cylinders, case, crank and rods did not need anything. Measure it all before making a decision or you will waste money.
Speedster72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
You had detonation issues with the 66 hp engine? It must have been freakinīhot, or the ignition timing way off.
Anyway, the 80 hp is a much better set up engine, but If you plan on using the same carbs and ignition (from the 66 hp) you need to rejet.

The timing was off yes. I adjusted the points, drove like 1500 miles in total since I bought it (and checked the timing and everything). Then we went on Holiday.
The plastic part which follows the timing cam and should open the points was probably worn by aging or temperature. So during the trip the gap became smaller bit by bit. I had a hard time climbing the smallest hills but expected a carb to have dirt in one of his jets. I readjusted it on the camping spot, but the damage was done already I think.

Quote:
The CB engine I rebuilt for my Buggy had been run too hot in a Bus as well. All it really needed was a cam (not related to overheating) and another head (one was cracked) and it would have been good to go. The pistons and cylinders, case, crank and rods did not need anything. Measure it all before making a decision or you will waste money.

Thanks, and did you kept the main bearings? Did you have the shimming changed?
New cam, heads and cylinders (even tho these might go another 10.000 or so I rather have new 1910cc's for some extra power with the new cam) is doable. I'll get into the measurements.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

Is this going back into a bus? If yes rebuild. I have about a 30 year background in Type 1 based engines. However, in my Squareback (see sig) I put a Type 4 in it. I know some of the physics, but not all. However, I can say this, The Type 4 based engine is a torque monster compared to the Type 1. I believe that if you switch to a Type 1 based engine, you will be very sorry.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

Speedster72 wrote:
The timing was off yes. I adjusted the points, drove like 1500 miles in total since I bought it (and checked the timing and everything). Then we went on Holiday.
The plastic part which follows the timing cam and should open the points was probably worn by aging or temperature. So during the trip the gap became smaller bit by bit. I had a hard time climbing the smallest hills but expected a carb to have dirt in one of his jets. I readjusted it on the camping spot, but the damage was done already I think.

It sounds like a classic case of a dry rubbing block on the points. You need to put just a wee dab of grease on that plastic rubbing block or it will wear very fast!
Speedster72 wrote:
Thanks, and did you kept the main bearings? Did you have the shimming changed?
New cam, heads and cylinders (even tho these might go another 10.000 or so I rather have new 1910cc's for some extra power with the new cam) is doable. I'll get into the measurements.

I would have reused all the bearings as they still measured good but I did replace them due to the grit that was imbedded in them. The stock bearings I hear are better quality than what you can buy now so the dirt was a bit of a disappointment. The end play was good and I did not have to change shims to correct it. I did however replace the piston rings as a precaution just in case the heat had taken the temper out of them. The oil pump was good too.

Moving up to 96mm piston/cylinders is smart move in my view as it will give you a higher compression ratio and a stronger running engine. My engine already had them.

Your "W" engine has better heads but may have a different bolt pattern for the intake manifold. The case needs to be modified to fit the Bus dipstick or the Bus dipstick holes in the tin and fan shroud will need to be blocked off. It will also have pistons with a higher compression ratio.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Is this going back into a bus? If yes rebuild. I have about a 30 year background in Type 1 based engines. However, in my Squareback (see sig) I put a Type 4 in it. I know some of the physics, but not all. However, I can say this, The Type 4 based engine is a torque monster compared to the Type 1. I believe that if you switch to a Type 1 based engine, you will be very sorry.

If comparing same size type 1/4 engines, what gives the type 4 a torque advantage?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

I have been wondering the same as you. More torque is generally associated with a long stroke and smaller bore but the type 4 is the opposite. I know the heads flow much better, is that it?

And yes there is a big torque advantage with the type 4 engine!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

A 66 hp bus type 4 makes approx 10% more torque than a 1600 dual port type 1 and peaks approx 200 rpms higher.
An 80 hp 1700 makes about 30% more torque than a 1600, but again peaking about 300 rpms higher.
A 2 liter bus engine pulls a good 40% more torque than a 1600, but peaks at the same rpms
A euro spec 2,0 914 pulls approx 50% more torque than a 1600, again peaking 3-400 rpms higher.
So the term torque monster is not what I would use about them. That said, if you take an 80 hp 1700 and couple it to a 3 rib transmission you would probably feel that if you did not know better. An 80 hp 1700 pulls about 1000 rpms more rpm. and therefore have a wider work zone so to speak. That is probably what you fell.
A built type 4 can be made to bleed a lot of torque. So can a type 1. The main difference is that the type 4 can handle it much longer than the type 1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

The problem is that most doubters or unbelievers have never done a side by side comparison between a Type 1 based engine versus a Type 4. I can also tell that no one read my Type 4 engine installation into a Squareback thread that is my signature (its a sticky). I really don't give a rat's fart about published numbers, but I'm more concerned about drivability. I used to build screamers, but those days have passed. If I want an adrenaline rush, I just jump on my dirt bike (a TM 300EN that produces 55HP).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In my write up I compare my 69 road bug that has a 2110 with a Scat ultra light crank, Carrillo Porsche length rods, a 110 cam and dual Webers 44s against my Type 4 build. It is in a Squareback with a 3 speed automatic transmission, plus air conditioning. So right there I am talking more weight, and we all know that an automatic trans (especially a 3 speed) is not setup for performance, so the Squareback is at a disadvantage from the start.

The engine is also very mild. Its a 2 liter with 1700 heads, and a Scat C25 cam.

I live in the San Joaquin valley, which means that any road trip I take involves going through a mountain range. Not trying to be condescending, but for those of you that live back east, what you call a hill, we call it a slight incline. For those of you that live in CA you know what I am talking about ( the Grape Vine, Pachinko Pass, etc). Yet it is these hill climbs where the difference really shows. When we do a day trip, we always take the Square, because we get a lot of stares, and people thinks it looks really cool.

When we go its me and my wife plus two kids and a dog. also the front trunk and back storage area is full of ice chests, beach stuff extra cloths etc. So when we go, we are really weighted down. So what am I getting at? with my bug with the 2110 and two people, if I get behind slow moving cars or Semi's and loose speed, I have to down shift to build my speed back up. However in the same situation with my fully loaded Squareback, it just pulls. In fact the transmission doesn't even kick down to second. So yes in comparison the Type 4 engine is a TORQUE MONSTER compared to a Type 1 based engine. In fact the difference is like comparing a gas Truck to a diesel. I should know because this is how I roll when I go for a week of adrenaline fun in the desert (sometime I take a Baja, others our dirt bikes).

My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

I for one am not doubting that they do produce more torque, the question remains - WHY?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

Just to dispel another myth. Using the engine oil to heat your VWs really does work.

When we hit the desert in December, Night temps will drop to 25 degrees, and day temps 40 if we are lucky. Yet with this setup, we are toasty warm.
My builds
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I for one am not doubting that they do produce more torque, the question remains - WHY?

Honestly, I really can't tell you the physics of it. I've built many different types of engine from Double A single 2 strokes running methanol, VWs, RZRs, and even Chinese CFMoto engines. So I would be totally guessing since I'm not an engineer. I "think" that it a combination of rotating mass, and bore versus stroke. It sure isn't in the design of the combustion chamber. Unless its a 2L 914 head the combustion chamber design is crap. In fact I reshaped my heads to mimic the 914 combustion chamber as close as I could.
My builds
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
oprn wrote:

Honestly, I really can't tell you the physics of it. I've built many different types of engine from Double A single 2 strokes running methanol, VWs, RZRs, and even Chinese CFMoto engines. So I would be totally guessing since I'm not an engineer. I "think" that it a combination of rotating mass, and bore versus stroke. It sure isn't in the design of the combustion chamber. Unless its a 2L 914 head the combustion chamber design is crap. In fact I reshaped my heads to mimic the 914 combustion chamber as close as I could.

So how much torque does your type 4 make?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

Hey Multi69. Nice solution with the A/C. I have never seen that before. Cool, - litterally Very Happy

WRT the type 4 seeming/being more torque oriented than the type 1 has one immediate explanation. That is that the I/E ratio is almost 10% less than the type 1 (stock) which helps tremendeusly in making better torque in the low to midrange rpms.

Now, with your set up there are 3 obvius reasons to why you have a torqey type4 and that you feel it so much compared to the type 1.

1. The type 3 Aut transmission is very low geared (3,91 final) which makes the engine rev just shy of 3300 @ 60 mph with stock tyre dia. (Assuming that you are using the factory type 3 Aut.) That will easily compensate for the engine having to pull the A/C and then some. So you have a lot of power reserves below driving rpms. Also with the Aut. The engine will almost always be in its comfortzone due to the converter.

2. Your 2 liter engine is laid out for torque in more than one way. First, the C25 is a rather mild cam which generally is designed for more torque than hp. Next, the E heads on a 2 liter displacement works very well, with a little more static compression, even better.

3. Last, you are still using heaterboxes. They are only about 1,3" ID, which again aids the exhaust side in not to be over efficient at lower to mid rpms. They will of course also limit the upper rpm power to a certain extend, but not much on such an engine. Think of it this way, you are basicly running a 2 liter with what is equivallent to a 1 3/8" (shorty) header.

With that in mind we compare it to your 2110 type 1.
First you state that you use a W110 cam. It is 1 group above the C25 in the type 4 engine, which will - naturally make the engine "come in" later.
Without knowing your engine Iīm pretty sure you have some big valve heads on it, and possibly not that high CR. 44 IDFīs, 1 5/8" header etc etc. Now, I know the W110 is a VERY popular cam, but it is - still - not a cam that produces that much lower end torque as such. If I am right with your heads, and you maybe have had some porting done, there is a reasonably good chance that your I/E ratio is well up in the 70īs possibly even low 80īs. That reduces power below approx 3000 rpm. which again aids in your observasion that the type 1 is not torqey. I will agree with you, it is probably not. But you are really comparing apples to oranges.
I can make you a 2 liter type 1 that will pull the same lower rpm torque as the type 4, but the type 1 wohnt handle quite as high a constant load as the type 4. As I think I wrote earlier thatīs where the type 4 really shines and why it was eventually chosen for the busses.
(As a bonus info I can tell you that it was actually in the plans to use the type 4 pwerplant in the type 1 cars too. But the purchase of Auto Union put a stop to that and the Golf was developed out from preliminary plans from Auto Union. Iīm sometimes thinking, a Super beetle, with a 412S engine,,,, That would have been a GTI killer in those days and also a true collectors item.( But thatīs a totally different story. Back to topic Wink

T
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Thinking out loud:

torque is a function of cylinder pressure and piston top area. So the type 4's, with big bores and good flow and conservative cams, get a higher pressure over a larger surface area.Then I think the rod ratio comes into play, but not sure how.

I've always wanted to make a good-flowing mini-stroker type 1 with 94s and a conservative cam. But I have the same problem as many of us: once it's bored and stroked, with good heads, etc....i get tempted to put in a larger cam Embarassed .

There's going to be some differences due to chamber shape, plug angle, squish, etc..., but I don't how much that influences. However, the 5° extra advance the type 1 uses says something..

The type 4 has a heavier flywheel, with the fan fixed to the crank,

Still, I don't see why a type 4 is inherently torquier than a type1, an engine like:

-94 P/C
-panchitos
-69 crank
-2280 cam or whatever
-full weight flywheel
-1 1/2 exhaust
-I guess for the most torque: 2 x 40 Webers with long-ish, tight-ish manifolds.

Again, just thinking out loud.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

My apologies to Speedster72 for derailing your thread.

Alstrup, Freebug, Oprn, and the others, I started a new topic here regarding Type 4 Torque:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9173678#9173678

If anyone has input on Speedster72's original post feel free to help. Scroll up a few posts to see where it left off with Oprn posting the last on-topic reply.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

Yes. Got it Jeff.

WRT speedster72
I still say use the W engine. Even with the 34 Solex from the 66 hp engine it will still pull 75ish hp and have more usable power and better fuel efficiency. (You most likely need to rejet)
Use the "P" distributor from the bus engine and check that it has max (30 degrees w.o. vacum) advance at 2800 rpm.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

Is the W head not a 3 bolt intake and the CB a 4 bolt? Will that effect what he uses for carburation?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type4: Replace or rebuild Reply with quote

No, W is 4 bolt.
The only 3 bolt heads are 2 liter 914īs, which also have a different plug location.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: