Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving cross country - I have 3 route options
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Blue, green,or red route?
Blue
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Green
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Red
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 20

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Looking for advice or tips for a 3000 mile road trip next week. I'm driving solo from New York to Los Angeles. I'm looking for some input on which route I should take after I get thru Iowa. The blue line is I-80. I did a few years ago in my Syncro. The Cabellas headquarters is on that route Cool

The green line I-70. I did that last year in my jetta driving to NY. Its a nice drive through high country

The red line to ABQ is a way I've never gone before. Hmm.

BTW, it will be in a '71 corvette stuffed full of vw parts. So, no sleeping in it sadly Crying or Very sad .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by tjet on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

are you looking for fastest?
most scenic?
interesting stops? or non-stop?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Well, since the car has no wipers (or any decent heat), maybe the warmest route would be best (& no rain). It also has no radio, horn, or highbeams. It does have a 370 hp though Cool Im hoping I can make it in 4 days (get there by Friday)

I do need to fix the headlights this weeked....

Here's an old pic when I had it shipped out to NY almost 20 years ago...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/my-71-be...1399665754

I think I can fit my syncro trans on the passenger seat floor & an EJ22 subaru on the seat (buckled in of course)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Depends on the weather.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

All else being equal, Robert Frost might recommend the road not yet taken:
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44272/the-road-not-taken

No matter your choice, you will perhaps always wonder about the others. But it will make all the difference ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

The "Road less Taken" would be my choice but it may also depend on your dependability rating of the van, and your ability to fix whatever needs fixin'. The red line may place you in BFE often.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Southern route also includes Flagstaff, which is a great town, and avoids Vegas, which is always good IMO. Southern.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
The "Road less Taken" would be my choice but it may also depend on your dependability rating of the van, and your ability to fix whatever needs fixin'. The red line may place you in BFE often.

tjet wrote:
BTW, it will be in a '71 corvette stuffed full of vw parts.

Here's a line I've often heard before a road trip: "You're driving that old thing across the country alone?"

While I haven't had a voyage-ending event in my Westy, I'm not so sure I'd trust that old Detroit iron. That said, I'd opt for the southern (red) route and enjoy the chiles and perhaps a stop near Abiquiu, NM.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig

Last edited by riceye on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

riceye wrote:
Gizmoman wrote:

tjet wrote:
BTW, it will be in a '71 corvette stuffed full of vw parts.

He's a line I've often heard before a road trip: "You're driving that old thing across the country alone?"

While I haven't had a voyage-ending event in my Westy, I'm not so sure I'd trust that old Detroit iron. That said, I'd opt for the southern (red) route and enjoy the chiles and perhaps a stop near Abiquiu, NM.

I should have clicked on the link Embarassed Replace 'van" with "vette" I'd bring tools, bailing wire, zipties and duct tape.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

I vote for Route 66.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
All else being equal, Robert Frost might recommend the road not yet taken:
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44272/the-road-not-taken

No matter your choice, you will perhaps always wonder about the others. But it will make all the difference ...

His Westy was called "Frosty".

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I vote for Route 66.

That's what I was going to say, too, but your route through New Mexico looks pretty interesting. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

be sure to RainX the windshield if no wipers!!

how about a northern route thru Ontario and drop back into the US in Minnesota? very scenic around Lake Superior. i love Ontario drivers... no texting, know how to use a passing lane, and there's fish and chip stands everywhere. cooler weather for an antique Vette and when you drop into MN, you can stop by DHaavers or my place for repairs!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Tough to choose between the three, I could go any direction depending on mood, time since last visit, etc.

Agree with Mark and Route 66, if you have the time. The Vette will fit right in, Bucket List stuff for the enthusiast.

Otherwise, two variations on 2:
1 / Mountain route:
-- I-70 to West Glenwood Springs exit, double back two blocks on north-side frontage road to Jilbertitos -- world-class taqueria (priorities!) Laughing
-- CO-82 to Carbondale, CO-133 to Delta, then south through Montrose (Black Canyon!), Ridgway (side-trip to Dallas Divide!), Ouray, Silverton (great mining town!), to Durango
-- West to Cortez, McElmo Canyon to Mexican Hat via side-trip to Hovenweep if like Native ruins
-- Southwest through Monument Valley, on to Flagstaff (agree it's a great town!), then west on I-40. Oak Creek Canyon loop-around a very valid option.

2 / Canyons route -- 1-70 to UT-24 exit to Hanksville (just west of Green River)
-- Follow through Capitol Reef to Torrey, then south through Boulder, Escalante, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, through Hades (I mean, Vegas), I-15 to LA
-- The stretch of UT-12 from Torrey to Bryce is just about our favorite canyon road in the U.S.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

BTW, it will be in a '71 corvette stuffed full of vw parts. So, no sleeping in it sadly Crying or Very sad .

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1950531.jpg[/ig]

Sounds like an M&T mfg road trip!

Four days? The Shortest distance between two points is still a straight line.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, I missed the "four days" post.

Changes everything. Dependably-driest route on average would be #3 (red). #1 good if coast behaves.

My suggested routes could be done in your last two days but too much for fun.

If must be four days, I'd go Big Red.
Edit: IF you mean "four days NY to LA." If meaning Iowa to LA, all are doable. US-6 in Nevada could have you enjoying that Big Ol' Block.
Wink Laughing Wink

— Colin Chapman
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

4 long ass days. Makes my ass hurt just thinking about it. Hope the vette has some decent Tuck and Roll. A stick for poor mans cruise control would be helpful too.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Thanks Dave, I missed the "four days" post.

Changes everything. Dependably-driest route on average would be #3 (red). #1 good if coast behaves.

My suggested routes could be done in your last two days but too much for fun.

If must be four days, I'd go Big Red.
Edit: IF you mean "four days NY to LA." If meaning Iowa to LA, all are doable. US-6 in Nevada could have you enjoying that Big Ol' Block.
Wink Laughing Wink

Agreed. I've been on the "Red" route from Phx to Iowa many, many times. Not a bad route, not beautiful most of the way heading South, but not too bad. Pretty boring from ABQ to almost Flagstaff, but nothing like the northern route IMO. Going the red route it takes me about 15 hours from Phx to Des Moines, and I've typically always driven it straight through.

You can always head South from I-40 to Phoenix, and LA is 5 1/2 to 6 hours from here.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Yellow (a revision to blue or green) - Hwy 50 across Nevada: the lonliest highway. Spectacular two-lane with 20 mile views between mountain ranges. Recommended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

I vote for Route 4.

Take the Green route past Grand Junction and then in Utah turn south and go through Moab, Monument Valley, past the Grand Canyon and connect with the Red route in Flagstaff.

Great scenery and many places to stop and see things if you have the time.

I didn't look close enough to make my line actually follow the highway, but you get the idea.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: