Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flat towing - Tow bar and Safety Chains
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Flat towing - Tow bar and Safety Chains Reply with quote

I'm sure this will be debated.

When flat towing using a VW tow bar. What do you use for a safety chain?
I've taken a tow chain and ran it around the bumper (or sometimes through the front beam) then secure it on the trucks bumper bracket.

My thought - if the pins fail on the tow bar beam connection I'm connected. And if the tow ball fails I'm connected.

Any flaws in my logic?
What have you done?

Martin

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing - Tow bar and Safety Chains Reply with quote

pretty much how it's supposed to go.
chain goes independent of the towbar vehicle to vehicle.

mkbug wrote:
I'm sure this will be debated.

When flat towing using a VW tow bar. What do you use for a safety chain?
I've taken a tow chain and ran it around the bumper (or sometimes through the front beam) then secure it on the trucks bumper bracket.

My thought - if the pins fail on the tow bar beam connection I'm connected. And if the tow ball fails I'm connected.

Any flaws in my logic?
What have you done?

Martin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing - Tow bar and Safety Chains Reply with quote

My chain is bolted to the tow bar. The failure will be in the hitch, not the end attached to the Bug.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing - Tow bar and Safety Chains Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
My chain is bolted to the tow bar. The failure will be in the hitch, not the end attached to the Bug.

That's an optimistic view! I have 2 tow bars and neither one looks that bullet proof to me. One is commercially built and the other is home built and I would say the home built one is less likely to fail but not impossible.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing - Tow bar and Safety Chains Reply with quote

I'm with Dave on this one.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing - Tow bar and Safety Chains Reply with quote

My chain is also bolted to the buggy tow bar. Custom made bar, not the VW bar most use. I am not too worried about this bar coming off the car.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing - Tow bar and Safety Chains Reply with quote

With the tow bar on the front beam, do you insert pin from the front toward the rear and then clip in place or insert pin from rear to front and then the clip.
Just wondering

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing - Tow bar and Safety Chains Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
With the tow bar on the front beam, do you insert pin from the front toward the rear and then clip in place or insert pin from rear to front and then the clip.
Just wondering

which ever is easier for you, it doesnt matter, there is no load on the pin.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: