Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 vw bus braking problems
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: 1971 vw bus braking problems Reply with quote

looking for vw mechanic who knows how to work on 1971 bus braking system.from testing the servo, changing brake pressure regulator, and getting my bus to brake correctly. i live in los angeles county area. can anyone in this area recommend a good honest vw mechanic in this area.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 vw bus braking problems Reply with quote

You'll have numerous shops within three hours of you who can perform the work you are seeking.

But I? I would suggest diving in there yourself. I don't know your skillset or your care for mechanics but the regulator is a check valve. Take it off and blow into it. Air should only flow one way. Sometimes the servos leak internally, but they're nasty and the damage often times seems apparent.

Having surging problems with the engine? Does the bus stall or die when you brake? Check vacuums, especially the ports on the dual intake gaskets. Are these intakes ported for the vacuum line to the brake servo?

What issues are you experiencing?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 vw bus braking problems Reply with quote

A shop may well eat you alive, so unless you have deep pockets, if you want to own and drive an antique vehicle it is best to learn how to do the work yourself. Don't skimp on things like tubing wrenches which are required to work on brake lines. You can buy a pile of tools for the cost of one $2000 repair.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 vw bus braking problems Reply with quote

There are a lot of ‘71 brakes experts on here. Let us know what your issues are and if you want to wrench on it yourself we can walk you through a lot and maybe save you some cash in the process. Check out Airschooled.com. If he is headed back your way he can help you and teach you at the same time. But I and others are happy to help as well via the forum. Gary (Aeromech) and Busdaddy are super sharp on ‘71 bus brakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 vw bus braking problems Reply with quote

I live near Sea World. Currently I own two 1971’s. Send me a pm and we can talk. I’ll help you
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 vw bus braking problems Reply with quote

gojo wrote:
looking for vw mechanic who knows how to work on 1971 bus braking system.from testing the servo, changing brake pressure regulator, and getting my bus to brake correctly. i live in los angeles county area. can anyone in this area recommend a good honest vw mechanic in this area.
i would like to thank everyone for your advice. i am not to good with computers so i hope you get this message. i will try working on the brakes myself. if any setbacks happen i will send another message. thanks again.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 vw bus braking problems Reply with quote

At least PM Gary and talk to him. It might save you some aggravation. Can’t hurt to chat about it. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: