Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sideview mirror orientation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I think all orientations should be welcome on The Samba.

Laughing
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

I'll try the diagonal style. Was wondering if someone had actually done some measurements.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I think all orientations should be welcome on The Samba.

Ta-dum, Crash.

All are welcome, but are all accepted??
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The correct angle for the mirrors is 54 degrees, also as the magic angle.

I was told this in 1986 by Hans Bethe, who is googleable,

Wow. I didn't expect a Hans Bethe reference. His old house is a couple of blocks from here in Los Alamos. He must have been a man of many talents.

As for mirrors, I have settled on that angle that provides me the widest view, so maximizing the horizontal glass. There are two solutions to that problem, and you can pick your own.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:
I know this isn't technically answering your question but I highly recommend replacing your mirror glass with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Außenspiegel-Spiegelglas-Ersatzglas-VW-Bus-typ-T2-ab-1967-1979-Sphärisch-Konvex/320874687245?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

They are convex instead of flat so you get a wider angle of view.. it is noticeably better.

Do you know where to get these with available shipping to the United States?

I wondered the same thing. I found a couple sellers on eBay in the UK but neither of them is willing to ship to the US. Unless anyone has a resource, I am going to have one shipped to a friend/Samba member in the UK and pay him to forward it.
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Are the mirrors more effectively positioned horizontally or vertically?

Take a look at the VW brochures etc... it depend to the modellyear how VW presented the mirrors:

modell year, orientation
1968-1970, vertically |
1971-1975, horizontally -
1976-1979, vertically |

(e.g. modellyear 1976 starts at August 1975)

See e.g. my brochores at https://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-books-brochures-vw-transporter
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:
I know this isn't technically answering your question but I highly recommend replacing your mirror glass with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Außenspiegel-Spiegelglas-Ersatzglas-VW-Bus-typ-T2-ab-1967-1979-Sphärisch-Konvex/320874687245?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

They are convex instead of flat so you get a wider angle of view.. it is noticeably better.

I wondered the same thing. I found a couple sellers on eBay in the UK but neither of them is willing to ship to the US. Unless anyone has a resource, I am going to have one shipped to a friend/Samba member in the UK and pay him to forward it.

Maybe buy a dozen or two and spread them around. I would certainly pay for one.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
70Crew wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:

Maybe buy a dozen or two and spread them around. I would certainly pay for one.

Same here. I have been following this thread in hopes of finding those mirrors.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

^ is the ebay link working for folks? I am coming up "not found", so have no idea what is being talked about.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
^ is the eBay link working for folks? I am coming up "not found", so have no idea what is being talked about.

No, I couldn't get the German link to come up either so I did a Google search. Here's a link to one of the ones in the UK:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Passenger-Side-CONVEX-WIN...%7Ciid%3A1

Since there seems to be a fairly broad interest, I am going to contact them again and see if they will do a bulk shipment to the states. If I still get a "no", I may also see if one of the big US suppliers is willing to source them. Sit tight, I will report back when I know more.

My other thought on this.... I may still go ahead and order one individually. I'd really hate to place a bulk order and then find out that either they don't fit or the convex feature is worthless. Those of you who know me know that I am willing to take one for the team once and awhile if it helps everyone out.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

thanks for clearing that up!
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

Update - I went back to the UK eBay site and asked them about a bulk shipment to the US. I got an automated "no" reply back so clearly they are not responding personally. My Samba UK contact generously offered to forward it if I had it shipped to him. However, I just went back to the German eBay listing and it now says that they ship to the US. I just ordered one - shipped to Michigan it was about $31.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Au%C3%9Fenspiegel-Spiegel...2749.l2649

Not horrible but about twice what it would be if we could get them in the US. Once I receive it I will post a couple side by side comparison photos to show everyone how much it improves the view. I will also install one in an original mirror to make sure they fit. If the product is viable I will follow up and see if we can either do a bulk Samba purchase or if a US vendor will stock them. To be continued....
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

NOt sure what's going on. Previous post keeps showing up as blank. When I post the following url as an url, the entire post goes blank for me. Not sure if others can see it or not. My second attempt resulted in the same. So, I am posting the link below without the URL tag. Cope and paste. (Everett, please note this issue)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Ausenspiegel-Spiegelglas-Ersatzglas-VW-Bus-tyAußenspiegel Spiegelglas Ersatzglas VW Bus typ T2 ab 1967-1979 Sphärisch Konvexp-T2-ab-1967-1979-Spharisch-Konvex/320874687245?hash=item4ab59f2b0d:g:nQ0AAOSwwE5WW5rR
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
NOt sure what's going on. Previous post keeps showing up as blank. When I post the following url as an url, the entire post goes blank for me. Not sure if others can see it or not. My second attempt resulted in the same. So, I am posting the link below without the URL tag. Cope and paste. (Everett, please note this issue)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Ausenspiegel-Spiegelglas-Ersatzglas-VW-Bus-tyAußenspiegel Spiegelglas Ersatzglas VW Bus typ T2 ab 1967-1979 Sphärisch Konvexp-T2-ab-1967-1979-Spharisch-Konvex/320874687245?hash=item4ab59f2b0d:g:nQ0AAOSwwE5WW5rR

I had to copy the whole thing and then paste it into the URL bar.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

....or use the link I posted, that one works. Smile
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

I ended up getting the convex mirror from the ebay link above. It came with double sided tape on the back and is supposed to fit over your original mirror. Simple. It is just a tad smaller than the original so I think it can fit over the original glass nicely and not interfere with the trim that holds in the original mirror in. My mirror doesn't have that trim and is siliconed in so I can not confirm that.

Is it worth $30? My much younger me would have rather bought a tank of gas and a new Megadeth tape. But I am older, and I like the convex mirror. I can see better for sure. It was worth the $30 to me. Besides, I can now listen to Megadeth on youtube for free. Cool

Oh, and customs did not fuk it up! Wink
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

I took my old glass out and went with black RTV around the edges to hold the new mirrors in.. Supposedly there was some kind of sealant around the glass at one point, but I don't know where that thread is.

In traffic, I think the mirrors are well worth the small price and wait time. Sorry about the link issue, there's a German letter in the link that stops the hyperlink from working right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the new mirror installed:

Compared with the old glass:

It's kind of hard to tell in photos but it's very apparent when you go from looking at a flat mirror to a convex mirror.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Sorry about the link issue, there's a German letter in the link that stops the hyperlink from working right.

The LINK!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sideview mirror orientation Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing mine. I was originally going to replace the existing glass, but when I held the convex glass up against the existing glass it really isn't obvious that it is modified so I went with putting it on top of the existing glass. That will make it a whole lot easier to go back to the original style if I decide to do so.

Scrivyscriv and Mispeld, I am curious what you think of the glass now that it is installed. I am a bit disappointed. The mirror seems to have minor distortion in it.... at least the one I got. Maybe that is to be expected at that price point but I'd like to know if it is just me (if so, I will email them and see if I can get it replaced) or if they are all like that. The distortion is particularly noticeable if you move your head back and forth, changing the viewing angle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: