Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

130/90 H4 bulbs
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

Anyone running these bulbs in their square headlight e code housings with relays?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

Did. The lifespan is not as long as 55/65w, but they are brighter for sure.
You need the relays installed to maximize the watts.

About $6.00 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VUB4CW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

I run them in my Beetle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I run them in my Beetle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How do you like the light pattern from those CIBIE's?
I ran those CIBIE's H4's in my '84 and much preferred the Hella H4 e codes over the CIBIE's H4's.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

I found that the 80/100 bulbs made just about as much usable light and lasted much longer. I'm now running 80/85 bulbs that last for years in my 7"round Cibie lamps.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Glenn wrote:
I run them in my Beetle.

How do you like the light pattern from those CIBIE's?
I ran those CIBIE's H4's in my '84 and much preferred the Hella H4 e codes over the CIBIE's H4's.

I first got them back in 1978 and still have my original set. i was lucky to find a NOS set a 15 years ago at a garage sale for $20.

I love the light pattern, the low beams have a sharp cut off and even with the 90W lows, they don't blind anyone. But put on the 130W lows and it's like a 747 coming to land behind you.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

No issue with the wires and electric components once we use that wattage (90/130 or 80/100) of bulbs, instead of 55/60 ?

I have the headlights relay kit, but still isn’t a lot of wattage for the wires ?

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

I got the BusDepot.com kit several years ago that included the H4s for motorcycles and they have been very good. But motorcycle headlights may not be legal on a car in your state because they are very bright. You may not be concerned considering all the excessively bright headlights cars now run. Keep them aimed properly so you don’t blind oncoming drivers, and be aware that if your rear end sags under load it affects your headlight pattern.
I can verify that they really light up the road ahead.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
I have the headlights relay kit, but still isn’t a lot of wattage for the wires ?
Its not the wires, its the switch. The relay prevents the switch from burning out. The wires are big enough.
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

Well received.
More, I will be aware about the light pattern for oncoming vehicules.
Many thanks

(brown/tan interior)
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

i'd put in some LED's in there, in place of the incandescent bulbs, extremely bright, no need for wiring upgrades.
https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-headlights-headligh...6387f8bcf1
i've used them on dozens of customer vans, everyone is happy, i have them in two of mine, IMHO no need to look else where.

619 201 0310
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
i'd put in some LED's in there, in place of the incandescent bulbs, extremely bright, no need for wiring upgrades.
I don't know why you wouldn't want to take the load off of the switch regardless, like every competent automobile company.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

A couple comments. First, Gnarlodious if you have two motorcycle single headlamp beam patterns on your van, then the left headlamp is putting glare at oncoming drivers. There's a reason that setup is illegal many/most places. The left headlamp cutoff pattern when viewed on a wall at night should be flat and the right headlamp cutoff pattern slopes upward to the right to illuminate away from oncoming drivers but provide farther away light. So be advised.

On super output bulbs like those asked about. It's worth knowing that the glare to oncoming drivers can be controlled with a quality beam pattern such as E codes. However, that's on a dry night. On a wet night, you're absolutely killing oncoming drivers as they're looking at the wet pavement bounce into their eyes of WAY too many watts. Putting 90 watts out on low beams on a wet night is extremely unkind. So keep that in mind.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

Security first
I will stay with the 55/60 on E code new rectangular headlights. Enough brightness and more secure for oncoming vehicules. Thanks !

(brown/tan interior)
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 130/90 H4 bulbs Reply with quote

With the higher wattage bulbs comes more heat; consider ceramic plug ends as well.

With the BD Ecodes, I've found no need for the super watt's.

Agreed about the glare and rain refractions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: