Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C repair failure - stumped
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

First time to attempt repair but pretty well informed. Here's the story:

AC failed while driving. Went from good to zero cooling in a matter of minutes while driving. No noises.

Clutch was engaging, low side and high side pressures were the same with compressor running as static readings. Right around air temp on both sides.

This indicates a bad compressor or internal pressure valve, right? So I replaced the compressor along with a new drier and expansion valve.

Old oil looked fairly clear, by the way.

Pulled, flushed and dried the hoses and condenser thoroughly. skipped flushing the evaporator to avoid trapping fluid in it. Just ran some filtered compressed air through it to verify good flow.

Filled comp with specified oil and hand turned it once installed.
Then I pulled a vacuum and let it sit, no apparent leaks.
Filled on both sides what little it would take with engine off then turned on to charge the low side but it would not take any more charge.

Clutch was not engaging, fans not coming on. So I jumped the trinary leads and clutch engages, fans go on. But manifold gauges continue to show same readings working as static, no compression appears to be happening, no freon getting sucked into system.

I think that perhaps I damaged the trinary while flushing and have ordered another.

BUT STILL, jumpering it and getting the clutch engaged on the new compressor to turn should allow me to keep filling, right?

All I can figure is that either the new compressor is bad or else there's something I'm doing wrong.

So- any thoughts? I am assuming that if I can jump the leads for the trinary and get the clutch operate then the upstream relays and controls should be good, right?

UPDATE: After getting another gauge set and changing out the Trinary to no avail and also testing the expansion valve, I traced the failure to show any compression to the brand new service valve on the Low side being stuck shut. Weird issue.
So the low-side gauge was only showing the charge that made it into the manifold hose and I couldn't tell that it hadn't entered the actual system. The Trinary was fine, it just was not seeing enough pressure on the low side. The expansion valve was fine.

Anybody experienced probably would have noticed that very little gas left the can and it didn't get cold as it should, but I did static charge through the high side also and that took in about 1/3 of the can.

Unscrewing the low side port and testing it by blowing through the port with the manifold fitting attached located the problem area and swapping out the new part for the older low side service port/valve solved it.

Lesson learned! No matter what, don't assume that new parts are all good! I had never imagined that the new shrader (ish) valve would be stuck closed. Leaking, sure, but it was simply not opening even when depressed. Had even tested it with four different adapters on it in case one of the valve depressors was failing. None would open it.

Last edited by swsl on Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

What are the low-side and high-side pressures, and ambient temperature with the engine off?

What is your source of freon (30 lb tank, or the little canisters)? Are you purging the feed line into the manifold before running freon into the system? For how long did you attempt to charge the system (this is not a quick process with a 30 lb tank, and would be considerably slower with the smaller canisters)?

I don't think electrickery works that way
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
What are the low-side and high-side pressures, and ambient temperature with the engine off?

What is your source of freon (30 lb tank, or the little canisters)? Are you purging the feed line into the manifold before running freon into the system? For how long did you attempt to charge the system (this is not a quick process with a 30 lb tank, and would be considerably slower with the smaller canisters)?

Hi -

1) Static pressures are right around the ambient. Yesterday in "heat" of the day, they were both around 90, ambient around 85. This morning, around 65, air temp was probably similar.

2) R134a is filling from the 12oz cannisters.

3) Yes on feedline purge. I have a 3 hose manifold (AZone loaner tool) and after pulling the vacuum and letting it sit for a few hours with both manifold valves closed, I moved the yellow hose to the tapped can, opened it's valve, then cracked the shrader valve at the top of the hose on the manifold, then opened both sides with engine off. I did wonder if I was purging the chamber in the manifold...

4) I only attempted to charge (low side only) with engine running for 30 seconds or so. I was jumping the trinary connector to get the clutch to run and was basically just testing. I was also concerned about running without much gas to carry the oil (as I understand it).

I did put all of the oil charge into the compressor fill hole. It came with 5.5 oz prefill. I drained that and returned about 4 oz to account for the assumed single oz in the unflushed evap and a bit clinging inside the comp. So it's possibly a little over the 4.6oz spec.

Really appreciate your input. I am a decent mechanic and general tech but when you don't have experience, it's so much harder to know when a tool or step in the procedure is off. Hoping it's that and not a defective part!

Steve
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

After adding PAG you have to manually spin the compressor about two dozen times to spread the oil out - if it locks it will damage the valves and then not compress. you also have to engage the compressor at idle only for the first 10 minutes or so, to give the oil time to spread out.

Static pressures mean nothing.

If you aren't getting any difference between the low and high with clutch engaged, either the compressor is damaged or the expansion valve is damaged.

The Sanden compressors are hardy, I doubt you killed it.

In NM, you want to be on the low side of the 950g spec, not high. Common mistake. More refrigerant does not mean better cooling.

This is a manual AC, single EVAP EuroBus , right?
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
After adding PAG you have to manually spin the compressor about two dozen times to spread the oil out - if it locks it will damage the valves and then not compress. you also have to engage the compressor at idle only for the first 10 minutes or so, to give the oil time to spread out.

Static pressures mean nothing.

If you aren't getting any difference between the low and high with clutch engaged, either the compressor is damaged or the expansion valve is damaged.

The Sanden compressors are hardy, I doubt you killed it.

In NM, you want to be on the low side of the 950g spec, not high. Common mistake. More refrigerant does not mean better cooling.

This is a manual AC, single EVAP EuroBus , right?

Yep I spun the compressor by hand before running it. Some say 10 times, others 20. Probably spun it somewhere in between that. There was no indication that the oil locked it up or anything. It just quietly started turning when I powered up the clutch.

As far as spreading out the oil, should I jump the clutch and run it for 10 minutes with just the initial charge it took static? Then start adding? I've got the replacement trinary on order.

A new expansion valve from VW dealer ($100!) was installed with the compressor and drier change. The replacement compressor itself is not a Sanden, it is a UAC equivalent. Mistake? Seems to be the one that Van-Again sells for EV and I figured they had experience with 'em and then the reported failure rate of the SD7V16 did not inspire me to pay double.

Yes, manual AC, single EVAP. 2002 EV WK I tried to look at the AC with VCDS, but go nothing. I assume that's because mine's a manual control and not Climatronic. But I am still not up to speed with VCDS, so maybe I'm missing something there.

Steve
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

I do have an old Sanden that works but is noisy. I think you got a bad one, also known as OBQ - out of box quality problem.

If you are detailed enough to do as you've outlined, I have 100% confidence in your fitment skills. Bad parts suck.

Let me know if you want to try my backup as a diagnostic - lot of work but that might be all you can do at this point.

Quote:
Filled comp with oil, hand turned it once installed.

Sorry - Idiot missed that.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

swsl wrote:

1) Static pressures are right around the ambient. Yesterday in "heat" of the day, they were both around 90, ambient around 85. This morning, around 65, air temp was probably similar.

That's certainly enough pressure to close the trinary switch to activate the clutch, so you're on the right track by replacing it.

swsl wrote:

4) I only attempted to charge (low side only) with engine running for 30 seconds or so. I was jumping the trinary connector to get the clutch to run and was basically just testing. I was also concerned about running without much gas to carry the oil (as I understand it).

If you don't think you've frag'd the compressor, you could try jumpering the trinary again and letting the compressor run for a few minutes to see if it responds (I'm assuming the pressure gauge on your rental manifold respond quickly when you initially open the valves?). When (if) you manage to pull the pressure down on the low-side it's going to take a few minutes (or more) to draw the refrigerant into the system and evacuate the canister.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

If you’ve vacuumed out the system the first charge will go in with a whoosh and the low side should start responding to the compressor. A can open to vacuum will empty about half its contents right away, enough to get some cooling.
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I do have an old Sanden that works but is noisy. I think you got a bad one, also known as OBQ - out of box quality problem.

If you are detailed enough to do as you've outlined, I have 100% confidence in your fitment skills. Bad parts suck.

Let me know if you want to try my backup as a diagnostic - lot of work but that might be all you can do at this point.

Nice to hear! I really believe in RTFM, perhaps to the point of obsession. I'm pulling it down again now and gonna try charging once more tomorrow, running it for longer. Also, an older neighbor who used to own an AC shop (in Cd Juarez! - way back when) suggested that I just static charge the high side first to see if the expansion valve lets it through to the low side. Just to verify that my one expensive OEM part is not the culprit.

I might take you up on the offer for a tester unit - very kind! But I want to try everything else first. My last resort is to take it back to the VW dealer that charged it in June and have them hook up the big machine and charge it that way. They are not nearby, but it's an option.
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:

If you don't think you've frag'd the compressor, you could try jumpering the trinary again and letting the compressor run for a few minutes to see if it responds

Thanks. Will do. No reason at all to believe I've frag'd the compressor. Considering that it had oil in the "sump" fill- not the suction side- AND I turned it by hand before running AND then it started quietly and has made no noise at all since.

Also, the system was pretty clean when I opened it - probably due to the dealer evac and recharge back in June. And while it was not replaced, I pulled the condenser and flushed it thoroughly on the bench. Same with hoses.

AND finally, I did install a "compressor guard" plate/screen on the low side as many recommend.

So if the compressor is bad, it was shipped that way.
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

I just tried the test for the expansion valve that my friend suggested and it failed. But I'm not 100% convinced it's a good test.

I static charged the high side only, keeping the low side manifold valve closed. I was told that the expansion valve should be letting the vapor through from high to low and the charge should show up on the low side gauge as well, passing through the evap.

But it didn't. Low side gauge still shows vacuum while high side now has pressure. Again, Expansion valve is new, OEM from VW. All lines were flushed and the evap passed compressed air from one port to another when exp valve was off.

Is this a valid test?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

I think you have nailed it, well done.

Bad Expansion valve. I think it takes the Audi valve

701820679D
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

swsl wrote:

Is this a valid test?

Yes*. Your expansion valve should bleed off the pressure through the evaporator and into the low-side of the circuit. What you've observed would suggest that your expansion valve is stuck closed.

Double check by removing the valve and applying compressed air to the high-side inlet.

*Note: I'm assuming at this point that everything is functional with your rental manifold; that the connector at the high-side valve is actually depressing the valve and opening it when you screw it "open"; and, that the valve on the high-side access pipe is intact and not blocking refrigerant flow: after charging the high-side, you can remove the manifold connection and zero-out the pressure gauge, reconnect it, and the pressure from the high-side is reflected on the manifold gauge (i.e. the gauge pressure isn't just the manifold pressure resulting from opening the manifold valve when you *thought* you were charging the high-side). I figured I'd at least ask before you condemn any other components in your A/C system...

swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

No luck. Swapped out the expansion valve. I had an aftermarket one that came with the compressor. All three (old, OEM and cheapo) seem to be passing air when I blow thru the high side. No sign of being stuck closed.

I also double checked that the evap is allowing air flow. Was starting to wonder if the new drier came clogged but it's not in the chain from high side service to low side.

I attempted to pressurize the system with compressed air and now started getting problems with leaks in the loaner manifold set.

Also started to suspect the service valve (the R134a not really shraders) that I replaced on the low side is not functioning right. After pressurizing the high side again (best I could with a manifold leak)with air and seeing no pressure again on low side, I pulled the service valve on the low side and yes, some air did hiss out. So maybe it's been blocked on the low side all along? Was I just seeing the static hose pressure on the low side instead of the actual system?

My head is spinning. And we hit the road tomorrow, heading for TX.

I think my best plan from here is to order a Yellow Jacket manifold and tackle it again when in Houston at mom's.

Thanks for all your help, will be back on it in a week or two.

Steve
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:

*Note: I'm assuming at this point that everything is functional with your rental manifold; that the connector at the high-side valve is actually depressing the valve and opening it when you screw it "open"; and, that the valve on the high-side access pipe is intact and not blocking refrigerant flow: after charging the high-side, you can remove the manifold connection and zero-out the pressure gauge, reconnect it, and the pressure from the high-side is reflected on the manifold gauge (i.e. the gauge pressure isn't just the manifold pressure resulting from opening the manifold valve when you *thought* you were charging the high-side). I figured I'd at least ask before you condemn any other components in your A/C system...

Wow. I didn't see this before I wrote my "done for now" reply. Hoping that YOU nailed it. The manifold set. So, Yellow Jacket now gets my money.

Interesting story:
I actually ordered a yellow jacket set on amazon a couple weeks ago, not wanting to buy Harbor Freight or any other crap but then opted for the warehouse deal to save a few. There were, surprisingly, quite a few on offer. These are usually returns. Mine arrived with some no name cheapo set placed in the Yellow Jacket package. I returned it and decided to just work with an AZ loaner.

I think that somebody is scamming Amazon, buying expensive product and returning it with junk in the package.

So careful with those warehouse deals!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

My manifold set is one of the few Harbor freight tools I own and has done about 2 dozen jobs for me at this point. I did add a real vacuum gauge to it with a shutoff for system vacuum testing though
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

Sorry to hear, but glad you didn't invest any further time or money into returning/replacing components at this point.

At the very least, draw a vacuum on the system and leave it under vacuum until you return. NM is certainly more arid than the dirty south, but the compressor oil is very hygroscopic and becomes acidic as it absorbs moisture; likewise, the desiccant in the receiver/drier will eventually saturate if you leave the system open.

Let us know the prognosis with the new manifold/gauges when you return!

swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

OK, I'm back on it in TX

The low side service valve was bad and not opening. The new replacement. What a pain that caused. The loaner manifold and adapters were probably fine. The old service valve was fine, I had just replaced 'em both because the high side was leaking a bit.

So, before I attempt to charge again, I have a new concern: Back in New Mexico, I returned the loaner vacuum pump but then managed to accidentally crack open the system afterward. So I lost vaccum and air sat in the system for two weeks. I went ahead and replaced the drier (again) before pulling a good long vacuum today.

Should I really be worried about the compressor oil in the system? I would rather not pull it. And the oil is now probably somewhat distributed, I imagine. Is it reasonable to expect that the fresh drier installed for those two weeks did it's job with a system full of air and then pulling a vacuum? And/or that pulling a vacuum helps clear moisture out of the oil?

The oil came in the compressor and I don't know if it's Double end capped. or whatever the newest preferred version is called.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

I believe the major concern is that when the compressor oil absorbs water it becomes acidic. However, I don't know how much of a factor this might be in the lower-humidity southwest as it would be where I am in the southeast.

Given that you did not exactly have the opportunity to run the system long enough to distribute the oil you initially added (I'd argue that most of it was probably in the receiver/drier), I would drain the oil from the compressor and put a vacuum on the system for several hours (or more) to evaporate any residual moisture (edit: seems you've already done this...). Somebody might make the argument for flushing the system, and perhaps a commercial A/C service flush/fill station could effectively neutralize any residual oil that was contaminated; but, unless you can circulate solvent through an evaporator or condensor yourself for an extended period of time, you're not going to flush out the old, residual oil. YMMV.

Fill with new oil, but don't put the entire volume in the compressor; follow the guidelines in the Bentley manual. It's something like 50% in the compressor, 15% in the receiver/drier (you could either add this to the high-pressure line leaving the compressor, or just put a bit over half of the oil in the compressor since most of it will go to the receiver/drier anyway), 15% in the condensor, 10% in the evaporator, 10% in the low-pressure line returning to the compressor. I don't have the Bentley manual in front of me, so these percentages are approximations from memory. (sorry!)

swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: A/C repair failure - stumped Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
I believe the major concern is that when the compressor oil absorbs water it becomes acidic. ..., and perhaps a commercial A/C service flush/fill station could effectively neutralize any residual oil that was contaminated

Thanks mucho! I'll go ahead and drain the compressor, measure that and refill before charging, I guess.

I am seeing that if you have "double end capped" PAG then water is less of an issue, but I don't know what oil the compressor was shipped with, other than PAG 46
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: