Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine dilemma 1972 Day Tripper
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dadembk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Engine dilemma 1972 Day Tripper Reply with quote

I have a 1972 Day Tripper as I think their referred to (no pop-up camper but has the camper interior otherwise). I've slowly been working on this thing for a while and I ready to tackle the engine. It came with an ill running progressive carbed 1700. As i disassembled to inspect what I had I found two exhaust studs that just came right out, a sunken seat and some oil leaks both at the base of a couple of cylinders and the rear main. My dilemma lies in I also don't have all the sheet metal, like the flaps off the shroud or some of the tubes that direct airflow too.

Is it worth it? What about a rebuilt complete 1800 from Mofoco? I don't have Raby Powered money or time. I can also get a good Type 1 case with bus support mounts (needs align bore but the thrust is uncut and good). What about converting it to a Type 1 econo 1800 powered bus?

I will just be driving it casually for trips to the bike trail or weekend camping. I live in FL so there are no long hills to climb. I don't mean to start a T4 vs T1 thread, I know the merits of the T4. Is it worth jumping head first into the unknown or settle for T1 power and the easy end in sight?
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine dilemma 1972 Day Tripper Reply with quote

I’d skip them both and go water pumper
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine dilemma 1972 Day Tripper Reply with quote

it will cost some money any way you go. Sounds like someone just stuffed an engine in it. Nothing you can do will be inexpensive and quick because you will need to have all the tin. It is an air cooled engine and having missing tin is like having missing or broken hoses on a water cooled engine. A water cooled conversion is $15K, maybe $20K.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine dilemma 1972 Day Tripper Reply with quote

Every T4 engine came with a complete set of tin, so there is gobs of it out there. Might take a while to find, but overall a lot less work than doing an engine swap.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine dilemma 1972 Day Tripper Reply with quote

You're in Orlando? Cool... I haven't met any other fellow aficionados yet.

I have a bunch of tins and spare parts in storage. So if you find you're in need of something, let me know. I'll be glad to part with them.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: