Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Newby !
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Hi all. Just purchased a reasonably rust free 1970 fastback last week. Plan is to spend 6 months on it - Have already stripped out interior and am treating a little rust in the battery floor tray - Rest is pretty good. Perished rear window seal meant water leaked into the rear, and while all the carpets / undefelt were not only rotten but also VERY smelly after 4 or more years sitting outside, the only major rust in the back was the engine cover lid. This has already been wire brushed and de rusted and painted, and is ready to go.
Engine and gearbox comes out tomorrow for a complete rebuild. Car was running, but with no history, plan a complete rebuild of both to make sure it is good. Probably going with a 1776cc engine, (Because I understand that option has the same wall thickness as standard cylinders) but otherwise mainly standard. Need engine temp and pressure gauges, is all.
I am a bit of a long distance freak, so need reliability and strength. Retired in 2009 after a round with cancer, in 2012 I took a Lotus up the Ice Truckers Highway past the Arctic Circle until a ice slip across the road in the Atigun Pass stopped me getting to Prudhoe. (Only person ever stupid enough to do this ! Smile ) In 2014 took a Troopie back to Alaska, this time to the top at Prudhoe, and then all the way down through Central and South America to the bottom in Tierra del Fuego. Then on to Europe, Russia, Africa, Sahara etc before coming home via Iceland, Newfoundland etc. Last month I just got back from a 36 day crossing of China, Mongolia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Finland and Europe, from Peking to Paris, in a 1954 Austin Healey 100, along with 100 other pre 1970 cars.
So I needed a new challenge, and decided to return to my VW roots (have owned a '56, a '58, and 2 others in my earlier days) and picked a fastback as a car I can not only use every day, but may also be able to do something silly in, like take it back to Alaska, or Iceland, or some trail less trodden !! Thus I need reliability, comfort, and a bit of fun along the way, so the fastback ticks all the boxes !
Already getting lots of help from this forum, and look forward to keeping you up to date on my rebuild, and then travels.
Cheers,
Giles
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Sweet welcome! Post some photos when you can.

Does it still have the stock Fuel Injection system?

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
Sweet welcome! Post some photos when you can.

Does it still have the stock Fuel Injection system?

Good question, but remember FI was stock mainly in the USA; other destinations typically had carbs unless you optioned up to FI.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Wow. Shocked

Nice..

Pics or it didn’t happen.
Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Yes, its got twin Solex carbs, not FI - Which is what I wanted due its potential long distance use and my limited capabilities as a mechanic !

"Pics or it didn't happen ?" Well, seeing Clementine (thats her name 'cos thats her colour - Could hardly call her Fred or Ermintrude, could I !!) hasn't "happened" yet, I guess you meant photos of other adventures !! Very Happy I post a few on here for your enjoyment - Alaska in the Lotus in 2012, Ushuaia in 2014 in the Troopie, and in the Gobi Desert last June in the Healey. Oh, and a couple of Clementine, and her (resonably good) floor tray which is what I am working on at present.
Will follow this through as a "build" over the coming months. Engine and gearbox comes out on Friday Smile

Giles
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TomFasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Hi Giles
Welcome to Samba. Which part of Queensland are you in? The nicest people come from Qld. I also have a Troopy. Amazing vehicles, but I'm afraid our American friends on this forum will mostly be unfamiliar with them. I don't believe they were ever sold there.
You have certainly not the let the moss grow beneath your feet. I'm looking forward to following your build thread.
Cheers,
Tom
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

On the Gold Coast Smile I take it you are from Qld ? Laughing
Not only do they not have Troopies in the US, they don't even have diesel Toyotas !! And certainly not V8 ones !! I had several people jump out in front of me in Alaska shouting "I want your engine" !! And when I went for oil changes, the mechanics would all fight over who would service my car because they had never seen one before !! In Central and S America they had Troopies, but only 6 cyl. Reason being that only S Africa, Japan and Aus get the V8 because apparently it is physically impossible to fit the steering column down the LH side of the V8 ! So no lefties !
Never ever let grass grow under my feet - I love Barry Sheene's saying - "Don't wait for your ship to come in, swin out and meet the bloody thing".
Thanks for your welcome.
Giles
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

My wife loved her Troopy! It seemed bullet proof. Cadillac/Isuzu salesman told us he sold 10 of them to potato farmers from Russia.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Um.........Sorry to burst your bubble, Mike, but that picture you posted isn't a Troopie. Sad
Troopies are called Troop Carriers because they had seating for 3 in the front (driver's seat + a double bench) and bench seats in the back running back to front down the sides, so could take 4 or 5 on each side. Thus used for carrying troops around, or often in the oil field for crew changes in the bush or the desert.
Attached is one of a Troopie.
Giles
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Who makes these troopies?
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Oh What a feeling,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Toyota !!
Laughing
TomFasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Newby ! Reply with quote

Quote:
My wife loved her Troopy!

To paraphrase a famous Australian movie quote: "That's not a troopy...THIS is a troopy!"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: