Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Battery, New Alt, fixed D+ and still sucking all power
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: New Battery, New Alt, fixed D+ and still sucking all power Reply with quote

So Hey guys how are you doing?

So don't know if you remember mi previous thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=724532&highlight=

but I went ahead and bought everything new or exchanged it for new and the problem did not got solved, got a new battery at 12.75 Volts, New Alternator and fixed the blue alternator wire:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The blue wire was at 1.3 volts I believe... Is this accurate?

When the Van was at idle the voltage began to drop when the fan was on. The Alternator at idle was reading 11sh but when the fan started to work the voltage dropped to 10.70,

Then after disconnecting the battery it had 11.40 volts remaining.

Do you think it could be a dashboard relay or the fan relay thats causing this problem?

Thanks, guys for helping me out.[/img]
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: New Battery, New Alt, fixed D+ and still sucking all power Reply with quote

Key on, blue wire disconnected from the alternator, I would expect to measure battery voltage at the end of the blue wire.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Battery, New Alt, fixed D+ and still sucking all power Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Key on, blue wire disconnected from the alternator, I would expect to measure battery voltage at the end of the blue wire.

Thanks Mark problem solved, it was my fan sucking all the juice from the battery because I have it direct I tested it out crossing the border turning it on for one minute and turning it off for one minute and the battery was with its power. In the night when I turned the lights on the voltage decreased a little but voltage remained the same. It was the fan that I left it on for a while and it was sucking all the juice from the battery. Next step to put its normal thermo fan switch and change the radiator.

Thanks !
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: