Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

I’ve done some research on break in philosophy and like most things. There are a lot of opinions on the topic. I’m curious what the collective opinion is on what I’m planning.

What I’ve done so far. 200 miles of driving mixed terrain, lots of hills and spirited driving. At 200 miles dropped oil, adjusted valves, re torque, etc. Everything looks great. I’m not looking for opinions on Break in procedure, already been down that rabbit hole. Looking for opinions if it’s wise to now take the bug up the freeway 100 miles (Rolling hills) to my other home in Olympia. Then drive it around more miles mixed terrain the following day. Then day 3 drive back down freeway back to Portland. I’m on the fence if it’s to early for a long stretch of Freeway. Thanks.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

I’d think you’d be fine to take the trip. Personally I’d run it for another 1000 miles then change the oil, adjust the valves and re-torque. Have a fun trip and drive it hard!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I’d think you’d be fine to take the trip. Personally I’d run it for another 1000 miles then change the oil, adjust the valves and re-torque. Have a fun trip and drive it hard!

I also think you should take it. VW manuals stated to drive a brand new VW normally, not to baby it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

drive it like you stole it.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

sled wrote:
drive it like you stole it.

Yep. That’s what we’ve been doing the first 200 miles. Was sure if was a good idea to drive 70mph for 100 miles and back. I appreciate the feedback all.

Random Question. The engine has no problem getting up to 80mph. I had a lot of pedal left. I was really tempted to stomp on the pedal and see what it could do. Was thinking it might be to early to do that Think Again, I’ve been driving it “Like I stole” except top speed in 4th. For a goof I was thinking about putting it on a Dyno after 1000 miles or so.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

Drive it like you stole it.

People who say you must baby an engine the 1st 1000 miles don't have any balls. If you did something wrong what difference does it matter if it breaks with 1587 miles or 201.

Drive it like you stole it.

PS. I have never re-torqued the head studs on any engine I have ever built.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

PS. I have never re-torqued the head studs on any engine I have ever built.

Nope. Didn’t do that. Learned that from you all. Just exhaust connections.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

I was boosting my engine to 10 lbs after less than 20 miles.

Does any new car get driven easy????

Our new VW CC got it’s first oil change at 5000 miles.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Random Question. The engine has no problem getting up to 80mph. I had a lot of pedal left. I was really tempted to stomp on the pedal and see what it could do. Was thinking it might be to early to do that Think Again, I’ve been driving it “Like I stole” except top speed in 4th. For a goof I was thinking about putting it on a Dyno after 1000 miles or so.

IDK if I’d want to drive it for extended periods of time above 4500 just yet. If it was mine I’d feel better about it if it had a few thousand miles on it before I gave it the pickle. That’s just me.

If you do dyno it, post those numbers. Not all dynos are created equal, some will yield higher numbers then others. I used a Mustang dyno twice and the guy called it “the heartbreaker.” They input your vehicle into the Mustangs computer and it applies a drum brake to create resistance to simulate real driving conditions. Other dynos do not do this.

Have a fun and safe trip!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

I wouldn't drive it like you stole it......

Drive it like Xatie: Cool

"that a cop?"....... "Nope."

*Xatie downshifts and punches the throttle* Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

Damn. Now you all know who wears the pants in the family Embarassed Laughing

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
I wouldn't drive it like you stole it......

Drive it like Xatie: Cool

"that a cop?"....... "Nope."

*Xatie downshifts and punches the throttle* Very Happy

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

Look at my avatar thats how you can drive. I’ve got maybe 5 thousand miles on that engine now and it runs great no worries.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

Drive that thing like a bat out of the gas station with some cheese sticks in your pants

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Drive that thing like a bat out of the gas station with some cheese sticks in your pants

What about burn outs Wink

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

I do first oil/filter change after 35 min run tyme. then 2nd oil&filter change after another 1 hour. then third after about 2 more hours of fun tyme ( fun driving like I stole it after the first oil change& cool down& valve adjustment.) do not over rev (limit rpm to 5500 rpm) the engine till it has atlaeast 10 heat cycles, for valve spring's breakin. make sure the engine is properly tuned on the 2nd day.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

Many years ago I rebuilt the engine in my '71 SB, finished it and started/tuned it late in the evening. The next morning my Buddy and I left for a 8 hour one way drive for a one week vacation in the next province. Zero issues!

The only thing to fear is fear itself!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Xevin, June 2nd, I drove my 67 to Woodburn. About 50 miles from Hillsboro.
You witnessed me doing 2, 1/4 mile runs at full throttle 90+ thru the traps on the second run. Cool
At the end of the day I drove back to Hillboro, another 50 miles. That day had no affect on my less than 1000 mile engine.

In fact, the week before that June day. I did a run where the speedo needle was pointed straight down Shocked in top gear. Laughing

With the care that went into Finn's engine. I wouldn't hesitate to drive the car to Olympia and back any weekend.

Wait, Isn't that car Xaties? She should be driving it while you're relegated to the subi DD. Very Happy

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Wait, Isn't that car Xaties? She should be driving it while you're relegated to the subi DD. Very Happy
Good Luck.

I was busting Brian’s balls about burnouts. He has a penchant for putting the foot down fast Wink but since you put it that way 67rustavenger I feel need to
Try. I wonder if it even can Think and Yes hopefully Xatie will be the one driving it back down. Thanks buddy.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

Yeah. Unless the car is prepped for burn outs/hard launch's.
I would not try that! Bad things happen to good transmissions.

Mine was prepped for hard launch's and I still needed a new trans after breaking the side gear teeth off. Shocked

Just enjoy a good driver and have fun with it.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 200 miles on new engine. Opinions wanted. Reply with quote

I would be gentle!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+bug+vs+mustang&...p;ie=UTF-8
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: