Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Ghias and I'm very excited!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
iowegian wrote:
It looks like the plate could be rotated counter clockwise and the hole in it would line up with the "notch", doesn't it?

yep

light too close to body without notch?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
iowegian wrote:
It looks like the plate could be rotated counter clockwise and the hole in it would line up with the "notch", doesn't it?

yep

Dunno. Question is why not just drill a hole through the top of the bumper?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
iowegian wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
iowegian wrote:

yep

Dunno. Question is why not just drill a hole through the top of the bumper?

Maybe the person that did this was afraid that the light, if mounted atop the bumper blade, would point slightly downward.
Later corner blades have a recessed area in the top of the blade for the light to sit.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

"A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets, but on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions.....Guy Noir, Private Eye."

Maybe he will find your backup lamp answer?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Well, I don't know who Guy Noir, Private Eye is and as it turns out I don't need him.

I made a very cool discovery stashed in a small "junk box" that I had removed from the trunk months ago. It had old belts, an old plastic bag with a wiper arm and receipt from House of Ghia from 1990 and other benign looking stuff. At the bottom was my answer; a single hooded Hella backup light on a pivot stud missing the attaching nut and washer, and the speedometer mounted backup light switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I looked at the wiring cluster and noted a female plug on a black wire that made its way through a rubber grommet above the steering column.

Inside the car, I removed the driver's side carpet mat and followed the black wire down the side of the steering column and down the side of the tunnel under the rubber mat. It comes out in front of the rear axle and is cut off and stowed in the wheel well in front of the left rear wheel.

Notice the top of the housing has the exact same speckling pattern as the bumper parts. Pretty, prettyyy, prettyy cool! Mystery solved, time for a Scooby snack Cool

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

That's great! ^^^
Glad you got it sorted.

Guy Noir ....... we have been nerdy radio fans for decades. Live story telling....... A Prairie Home Companion was part of that.
Jean Shepherd was another.......

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

For one-stop shopping in my KG thread, I'm posting a link to another thread that discusses starter problems and voltage drop issues and fixes. I posted my issue and attempts to fix there to. I think it's finally resolved!

(See page 2)

Intermittent Starter Problem

52brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Happy Sunday Kent, sorry I'm late to the party. Didn't know you had a thread on the 66 and I don't make it on the samba too often.

Car looks great. Really enjoyed the progress picts. Reverse light was dealer added by the original owner. Sorry you had to go down the rabbit hole trying to solve that mystery.

Starter is original to the car. When the clutch was replaced I noticed that the "odd ball" starter also has an "odd ball" flywheel to match. It was a changeover from 6v to 12v situation. Really cool to still have both.

Keep up the good wok, it's the tightest KG I've had the pleasure of driving.

Dustin
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

52brezelfenster wrote:
Happy Sunday Kent, sorry I'm late to the party. Didn't know you had a thread on the 66 and I don't make it on the samba too often.

Car looks great. Really enjoyed the progress picts. Reverse light was dealer added by the original owner. Sorry you had to go down the rabbit hole trying to solve that mystery.

Starter is original to the car. When the clutch was replaced I noticed that the "odd ball" starter also has an "odd ball" flywheel to match. It was a changeover from 6v to 12v situation. Really cool to still have both.

Keep up the good wok, it's the tightest KG I've had the pleasure of driving.

Dustin

Thanks Dustin! I haven't posted on this thread in a while because the car is getting slammed and a narrowed beam installed. The engine's been replaced with a much beefier one and I'm having a fabric interior done - that black vinyl was too friggin' hot. The Fuch's look amazi... Oh, I kid!

I'm currently trying to source a proper voltage regulator '66 as well as the generator, since this one has a beetle setup for some reason. Gotta keep it stock Cool

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

Thanks Dustin! I haven't posted on this thread in a while because the car is getting slammed and a narrowed beam installed. The engine's been replaced with a much beefier one and I'm having a fabric interior done - that black vinyl was too friggin' hot. The Fuch's look amazi... Oh, I kid!

I'm currently trying to source a proper voltage regulator '66 as well as the generator, since this one has a beetle setup for some reason. Gotta keep it stock Cool

You had me repeatedly saying no, no ,no" out loud! My wife was asking me whats wrong? Laughing Laughing Sure glad you were not serious.

I noticed your radio antenna is on the right side. I wonder if that was done by the dealer?

I enjoy reading your thread. It's a bit of a preview of what my car wil eventually look like.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

You had me repeatedly saying no, no ,no" out loud! My wife was asking me whats wrong? Laughing Laughing Sure glad you were not serious.

I noticed your radio antenna is on the right side. I wonder if that was done by the dealer?

I enjoy reading your thread. It's a bit of a preview of what my car wil eventually look like.

Sorry for the tease, Marc, but I'm glad your cardiologist didn't need to get involved! I bought the car from Dustin, who bought it from the lady that used to work for the original owner at his dental practice. It's a remarkably well-preserved original example. As to the location of the radio antenna, from all my years futzing with old VWs, radio antenna styles and their locations were up to the VW dealer. Much the same as side-view mirrors on the old bugs, relative to style - whatever was in their stash at the time. I've had some things going on in the background that some day (soon, I hope) will be updated on my "pride thread." So stay tuned, my friend Wink

-Kent

52brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Keeping in mind, I'm still working on coffee #1, and it takes about 4 nowadays to take really kick in, I thought you were playing an April fools joke in May.

Love it, needed a good laugh. Heck we all probably do.

Stay safe out there fellow KG enthusiasts.

Dustin
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Finally had the chance to read this thread from the beginning - what a stunning '66. Just love it and everything you're doing to keep it original!
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
52brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Finally had the chance to read this thread from the beginning - what a stunning '66. Just love it and everything you're doing to keep it original!

Agreed moogie32. And the icing on the cake - Drives every bit as good as it looks.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

52brezelfenster wrote:
moogie32 wrote:

Agreed moogie32. And the icing on the cake - Drives every bit as good as it looks.

It will be even cooler after Kent narrows the beam 6 inches and slams it in the weeds. Very Happy
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Here are some pics of the accessory utility lights in the trunk and engine compartment. Unfortunately, neither currently work. I removed the one from the trunk to take some detailed pics and test it. Testing with a volt meter, the leads to the unit show juice, but testing the bulb contact point in the socket reveals no juice, despite testing it in several positions (since it's supposed to shut off automatically when the deck lid and hood/bonnet is closed.)

This is a pic from the guy I bought the car from, so the engine bay lamp worked at some point, just not now.

Here's the one from the trunk.

It's in very well preserved condition. The housing is stamped JWH Co.

Damn, I've got one of those stashed somewhere, I'll have to locate it again. What turns it on/off, a switch?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Perhaps the internal switch is stuck.
Can’t tell you if it’s a gravity switch or a mercury switch however.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

I got the little lights working a few months ago. Worked on them during a Breaking Bad marathon. Now they both work great!

BulliBill wrote:

What turns it on/off, a switch?

Bill

Must be some sort of small mercury switch under the base.

Last edited by 67 Florida Deluxe on Mon May 04, 2020 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

It will be even cooler after Kent narrows the beam 6 inches and slams it in the weeds. Very Happy

It's at the proper height when it bottoms out on a penny Laughing

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:

Thank you, moogie32, it is a rare find and I feel fortunate to be the current custodian.

I purchased this little gem from 52brezelfenster (Dustin). When I got the classified ad alert at 6 am on a Sunday it was torture to wait to get a call back from my email response because it was on the west coast. But I was the first to respond so I was the first to get the call back. After an hour (or probably a lot longer) and numerous large file-size high resolution pics in a google folder, I decided to pull the trigger and pay the full ask. It certainly wasn't cheap but I have had no disappointments or regrets. I'm learning more and more about these cars all time. It's been a fun ride (pun intended Cool )!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: