Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Ghias and I'm very excited!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
52brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Finally had the chance to read this thread from the beginning - what a stunning '66. Just love it and everything you're doing to keep it original!

Thank you, moogie32, it is a rare find and I feel fortunate to be the current custodian.

I purchased this little gem from 52brezelfenster (Dustin). When I got the classified ad alert at 6 am on a Sunday it was torture to wait to get a call back from my email response because it was on the west coast. But I was the first to respond so I was the first to get the call back. After an hour (or probably a lot longer) and numerous large file-size high resolution pics in a google folder, I decided to pull the trigger and pay the full ask. It certainly wasn't cheap but I have had no disappointments or regrets. I'm learning more and more about these cars all time. It's been a fun ride (pun intended Cool )!

Kent, I know you're a new member to the ghia tribe. I've been really fortunate and have seen in person, crawled around & underneath, and driven several ghias of all vintages over the years. *Most* have some structural gremlins hiding under the shiny paint, poor repair work, bondo, crusty rockers, ripples inside the nose, worked over front headlight buckets, uneven door gaps, etc.. Anyone that's been around ghias knows what I'm referring to.

You have a VERY special car there that really sets the bar. Absolutely as good as they get. And to find that in a convertible is really uncommon.

Looking forward to a dash picture once you get that dash all polished out.

For the purists, just a side note. The license plates (front and rear) are original to the car along with the license plate frame. "since day 1". It's all about those little details that add to it Very Happy

Hopefully some of the samba enthusiasts will get to see it in person someday. Pictures don't do it justice.

Dustin
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

52brezelfenster wrote:

Kent, I know you're a new member to the ghia tribe. I've been really fortunate and have seen in person, crawled around & underneath, and driven several ghias of all vintages over the years. *Most* have some structural gremlins hiding under the shiny paint, poor repair work, bondo, crusty rockers, ripples inside the nose, worked over front headlight buckets, uneven door gaps, etc.. Anyone that's been around ghias knows what I'm referring to.

You have a VERY special car there that really sets the bar. Absolutely as good as they get. And to find that in a convertible is really uncommon.

For the purists, just a side note. The license plates (front and rear) are original to the car along with the license plate frame. "since day 1". It's all about those little details that add to it Very Happy

Hopefully some of the samba enthusiasts will get to see it in person someday. Pictures don't do it justice.

Dustin

I have to come clean here, Dustin. I only answered an ad for a 1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible that was touted to be in the best original condition imaginable and with a local history to support its amazing condition. (Yeah, whatever Rolling Eyes ) I responded and you called me back; first on the call-back list. We talked for well over an hour and I had no idea of your KG background or prowess. To me, you were a guy selling a car. Despite decades of VW ownership and enthusiasm, KG was new territory for me. I listened with suspicious trepidation as you described the '66 vert. But something struck me as a genuineness in your repartee' during our conversation and was well supported by the avalanche of photos in the gallery you linked to me. Resultantly, I decided to buy the car at full ask and at first discussion. It just struck me as a win. As I have said before, it is a most REMARKABLY well preserved car! And that certainly holds true to your candor in its description - which cannot be fully understood or maximally appreciated until looking at it and examining it fully in person!

That was before I realized you were the owner of the Edmonton Ghia. (The same stone wall backdrops the photos of my '66 as well as your '60 Edmonton Ghia.) Only recently, I ran across this thread of a most remarkable little car: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113641&start=200

As it turns out the same guy that owns the Edmonton Ghia is the former owner of my little gem - the guy I bought it from. Well, I can certainly say that it makes sense that as honest and forthright as you were with me when we discussed the '66 comes from your genuine passion for these cars. We share the same passion, Dustin. That's what resonated with me when we first talked. I am very proud to be the current custodian of this most special little car and I thank you for your candor, honesty and integrity when we first spoke. But until the next custodian is sought, I will enjoy the hell out of this car and do my best to tackle its little foibles as they come along.

As luck would have it, lightning would strike twice with the purchase of my '56 Swedish Oval earlier this year. I've been buying lottery tickets since, but so far, no big payouts. But I have me some most remarkable VWs to play with until lightning strikes for the third time... Cool

-Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
52brezelfenster wrote:

Dustin

I have to come clean here, Dustin. I only answered an ad for a 1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible that was touted to be in the best original condition imaginable and with a local history to support its amazing condition. (Yeah, whatever Rolling Eyes ) I responded and you called me back; first on the call-back list. We talked for well over an hour and I had no idea of your KG background or prowess. To me, you were a guy selling a car. Despite decades of VW ownership and enthusiasm, KG was new territory for me. I listened with suspicious trepidation as you described the '66 vert. But something struck me as a genuineness in your repartee' during our conversation and was well supported by the avalanche of photos in the gallery you linked to me. Resultantly, I decided to buy the car at full ask and at first discussion. It just struck me as a win. As I have said before, it is a most REMARKABLY well preserved car! And that certainly holds true to your candor in its description - which cannot be fully understood or maximally appreciated until looking at it and examining it fully in person!

That was before I realized you were the owner of the Edmonton Ghia. (The same stone wall backdrops the photos of my '66 as well as your '60 Edmonton Ghia.) Only recently, I ran across this thread of a most remarkable little car: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113641&start=200

As it turns out the same guy that owns the Edmonton Ghia is the former owner of my little gem - the guy I bought it from. Well, I can certainly say that it makes sense that as honest and forthright as you were with me when we discussed the '66 comes from your genuine passion for these cars. We share the same passion, Dustin. That's what resonated with me when we first talked. I am very proud to be the current custodian of this most special little car and I thank you for your candor, honesty and integrity when we first spoke. But until the next custodian is sought, I will enjoy the hell out of this car and do my best to tackle its little foibles as they come along.

As luck would have it, lightning would strike twice with the purchase of my '56 Swedish Oval earlier this year. I've been buying lottery tickets since, but so far, no big payouts. But I have me some most remarkable VWs to play with until lightning strikes for the third time... Cool

-Kent

Posts like this give me a warm glow. I'm proud of my Ghia friends here and across the world. I have no idea why but this forum seems to attract the best kind of people. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Kent, I jumped over to your gallery picts. Oval is stunning. Semaphores and that interior! Wow. Cloth, euro, perfect.

You probably already know this but you've got a nice pair of cars sitting in the garage there my friend.

Dustin
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Posts like this give me a warm glow. I'm proud of my Ghia friends here and across the world. I have no idea why but this forum seems to attract the best kind of people. Smile

John, I couldn't agree more! I joined TheSamba in 2005 after having owned my '67 Deluxe bug for several years, yet not knowing much. I bought it from the widow of the original owner. There were some key figures that frequented the "1958-1967 Beetle forum" that provided me a most remarkable education on all things proper on the model year with the most changes during the production year, the '67 Beetle. I continue to be most grateful for their education and I still enjoy the car to this day. Many other bugs have come and gone, but I still have my special '65 bug that I bought from the founder of Brumos Porsche in 1959, Jan Brundage, along side his dad, Hubert Brundage, of Brundage Motors VW of Jacksonville, FL, an avid race car enthusiast from back in the day. It was his mom's car and still only has just over 11K original mile. The Brundage story is remarkable and from a recent conversation with Jan, a book is forthcoming detailing all things Brundage from the beginning of the distributorship, now bypassing Max Hoffman for importing VWs.

Years ago, I owned a '56 Oval (US-spec) and I found fraternity in the Oval-Window forum. My recent acquisition, another '56 Oval but a Swedish-delivery, is another learning process. Again, the oval folks have been great!

I stumbled across a 1959 "camper bus" in 2007 and was initially annoyed that it wasn't a 15-window passenger bus. But thanks to the remarkable folks in the Split Bus forum, I learned a LOT. What an amazing bunch of folks and with so much knowledge and experience at the ready! Here's the link to my '59 Westy that had NO RUST issues, collisions and still had all its original tourist delivery doodads, as well as all the items on the Wesfalia Accessory invoice that also came with the vehicle. It is a phenomenal find that Type II folks have appreciated.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245544&highlight=westy My neighbor in Gainesville, FL eventually traded - his '67 21-Window Deluxe for my '59 Westy and all the accessories I had accumulated over many years. The bus lives on down the street from my Gainesville house at Jack's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579380&highlight=kents

Now, I'm new into Ghias and I am supremely lucky to start off with such an amazing car. But like the other forums, I have found a lot of expertise and help figuring out its idiosyncrasies. And I continue to learn a lot.

So, yes, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment - this forum attracts some very talented and passionate folks freely willing to lend their expertise to help fuel a continued (or developing) appreciation, if not passion.

52brezelfenster wrote:
Kent, I jumped over to your gallery picts. Oval is stunning. Semaphores and that interior! Wow. Cloth, euro, perfect.

You probably already know this but you've got a nice pair of cars sitting in the garage there my friend.

Dustin

Thanks, Dustin. Much like the KG, the pics don't do it justice. Another car I am grateful to be able to enjoy for its duration under my custodianship.

Both cars I show at local events so that others can enjoy them, too Smile

Cheers!
Kent

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

In an effort to get the ol' beater as 100% stock as possible (and live up to my Samba moniker), I sourced the proper '66 only 105mm 6v generator, generator stand, pulley and associated shims and such from different sources. I have the proper '66 only voltage regulator sourced a few weeks ago, and I just got off the phone with Bob Nodvik of Wiring Works to order the main harness. I didn't want any splices in the harness where the wires were lengthened to reach the generator, and I wanted it to look stock with the proper wire colors to the oil pressure gauge, coil, etc. I still have to find a generator strap for the 105mm generator, so I'm guessing the diameter of the strap would be around 4.5 inches.

Meantime, I'll be researching the procedure for replacing the main (front to rear) harness. I would imagine pulling it out from the engine compartment, and of course tying twine the front connections to use as a come-along when I attach the new harness to pull back through. Need to check for any other helpful hints before I tackle the task. Stay tuned!

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

I'm SO relieved to hear that you've been able to source the proper associated shims for that unique one year only generator.

If you hadn't, your potentially phenomenal find of a true Karmann Ghia survivor would be just another "could've been if only ...".

Wink

I believe I'm now fully convinced that that Ghia had indeed landed in the proper hands.
(... despite your somewhat dubious connection to that iowegian character)
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
I'm SO relieved to hear that you've been able to source the proper associated shims for that unique one year only generator.

I only received 6 of the 7, but I think I should be okay.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the large diameter 105mm '66 only generator uses the same squirrel cage as the standard size generator, as relates to spindle size or if I also need to source a unique fan, as well Think . I haven't pulled it all apart yet since I don't yet have the proper strap.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

I only received 6 of the 7, but I think I should be okay.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the large diameter 105mm '66 only generator uses the same squirrel cage as the standard size generator, as relates to spindle size or if I also need to source a unique fan, as well Think . I haven't pulled it all apart yet since I don't yet have the proper strap.

A '66 Ghia is a "one year only" car? Confused
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
A '66 Ghia is a "one year only" car? Confused

Who said one year only car? You said one year only car. Nobody else said one year only car. Mad

And, FYI the one-year-only 6v 105mm generator was also used on the Type II, Sport Willy! Wink

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

The main wiring harness (loom) arrived yesterday and it looks amazing in quality and detail true of the stock original. Got it from Bob Nodvik - Wiring Works. Now the fun begins! Shocked Pray

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

The one I think I purchased from JBugs was the same, and I think is actually made by wiring works. Colors all matched and connectors were good, but I think a few of the wires could have had a little extra length, like 1-2 inches, as some 'just' reach.

I little trick I used to make it really easy to know where to connect what, was to lay out all the wires on the floor, go through the included diagram instructions, separate each component group of wires, and mark them with tape and pen. This made it super easy to identify after I ran the whole loom and connect at the proper points, peeling away the tape as I connected. It was a lot scarier to think about installing than it actually was, though I am having problems with something, most likely something I did wrong rather than the wire loom itself. All included wires were great.

Good luck with the wiring, keep posting so we can watch your progress!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff. I've read up on a few harness replacement threads in the ghia forum and I'm glad I have a '66 versus earlier due to the relative "ease" of the path having been relocated to inside the car. I'm trying to source a couple more parts for the generator setup before I get started (I need the Woodruff key, proper strap for 105mm generator, and a couple more pulley shims.) Fingers crossed that the fan and attaching nut that's on the smaller 90mm generator will be direct fit to the 105mm one I just got. More to come as it develops!

Kent

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Been a long time since I posted about my 'lil KG, but today I started the ol' cuss after hibernating since last spring. I had to take a Monoject 412 plastic syringe and fill the carb bowl with fuel. After a shot of carb spray and the carb bowl being filled, the little monster fired to life and ran as smoothly as any flat 4 ever did! Went for a drive around the neighborhood and remarked to myself that the engine decidedly lacked power. Granted, it revs like an old-school Singer sewing machine - smooth as can be!! But power is lacking. Big time! Since I got this car, the power has been missing, despite how well and smoothly it runs.

Got an idea today that while the engine runs so remarkably smoothly, maybe the vacuum advance isn't working properly, hence the lack of "stank" when throttled!

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

The former post was the last time I drove my KG. The starting issue returned such that nothing happened when you tried to start it. Lights would dim some, even with a fully charged battery. So, there it sat for over a year as other things (and toys) took precedence. Confused Crying or Very sad

A couple days ago, I got a renewed interest in getting the ol' cuss going again, so figuring out why the starter wouldn't respond was requisite.

-I bought and installed a 2 gauge positive cable directly to the starter. No change.

- I purchased a 2 gauge negative cable and connected it to the upper starter bolt behind the fan shroud. No change. (Frustration building.)

- Removed the starter (again) and ensured there was no rust or corrosion that would impede the ground. Nothing.

- Removed the body ground strap (again) and ensured it was not oily, corroded, or in any way impeding a full transfer of current. It was perfect.

- Took the starter to a shop to have bench tested. Both starter motor and solenoid passed with flying colors.

- Removed the 8 gauge jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the B+ terminal on the voltage regulator. Inspected. It was perfect.

- Removed the two 8 gauge wires from the B+ terminal on the VR that go to the ignition switch. Cut off the ends, stripped a half inch of insulation, exposing virgin wire and reconnected to the VR terminal tab.

- DESPITE having purchased a new 6v battery from NAPA in 2020, it occurred to me that maybe the Cranking Amps of 540 and CCA of 440 might be insufficient. OR maybe the battery is defective, despite it being fully charged.

- Purchased a new 6-volt battery with 950 Cranking Amps and 700 CCA.

I went back over to the car, reinstalled the starter, new battery with higher cranking amps, and ensured all my connections were snug. And then this happened...

Link

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Hooray!! Persistence pays off. Dancing Applause

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Sweet music🎶🎶

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

I finally got the Porsche perfectly dialed in and have been enjoying that. So, now it's the KG's turn to get some love! The original clock I fixed over a year ago will be going back in the dash tomorrow. The Sapphire IV 6v AM/FM radio I have will be sent off to be renewed. Brakes will be adjusted in the next day or two. I will relocate the fuel filter and then check the timing and valve clearances. The ol' cuss has been on the back burner long enough Smile

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

That fuel filter is gonna esplode and burn the car right down to the waterline. Crying or Very sad
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
That fuel filter is gonna esplode and burn the car right down to the waterline. Crying or Very sad

Good thing it's not a boat to burn to the waterline. Besides, it's HIGHLY insured Cool

Also, read posts instead of just looking at the purdy pictures. The fuel filter has been addressed, y'old fart!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: