Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Ghias and I'm very excited!
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Greetings! While I’m not new to TheSamba, I am new to the Karmann Ghia world. A little background on me: I have owned a number of bugs, which can be seen in my gallery (I still have my ’67 Lotus White sedan I bought from the widow of the original owner, and my 11K-mile barn find ’65 with A/C that I bought from Jan Brundage of Brumos Jacksonville). I owned a remarkable River Blue Super Beetle Convertible with only 24K miles. I found a fully documented and rust-free 1959 SO-23 sub-hatch Westy many moons ago only 3 blocks from my house and loved that li’l cuss for many years until I let it go to my neighbor, good friend and the best possible custodian to steward its care going forward (also a fellow Sambian.) I also had a 1967 21-Window Sunroof Deluxe walk-thru that I sold around 4 years ago. On my bucket list remains a 1500 S sunroof Notch and a pre-68 Karmann Ghia convertible.

Well, I finally found my Karman Ghia on Sunday and it’s en route from, literally, one corner of the US to the opposite other. I found it here in the classifieds. It’s a 1966 that, aside from one body re-spray, is 100% original, including the soft top. From the history of the first owner, the second owner and the person I bought it from, it was never driven in snow or road salt, and was never taken out when it was raining (although it was caught in a rainstorm sometimes while it was out.) It has the original books with service stamps, service receipts, a little spiral notebook noting fuel fill-ups, spare keys, etc.

Admittedly, I am new to the wonderful world of Ghias, so please be patient with me as I begin my new phase of air-cooled VW adventure and discovery with the Karmann Ghia. I am very familiar with the search function, but it has its limitations and frustrations. Here are a few pics of the “new-to-me” Karmann Ghia. Also, it’s new to the VW enthusiast scene, as none of the prior owners ever showed it or were engaged in forums such as TheSamba. So we’re discovering this car together! Smile
Cheers!
Kent

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental

Last edited by 67 Florida Deluxe on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Beautiful car, Kent.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Thanks, Weege Cool

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Nice car.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

I’m gonna be cheesy and tell you to get that plastic fuel filter out if your engine compartment. Wink

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I’m gonna be cheesy and tell you to get that plastic fuel filter out if your engine compartment. Wink

Not cheesy at all. That's already 1st on my "to do" list Wink

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

This is gonna come across as dickish. And my car is no perfect example, but did they supply any pictures of passenger side front of quarter? It looks kinda wonky, but could just be odd shadows.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
This is gonna come across as dickish. And my car is no perfect example, but did they supply any pictures of passenger side front of quarter? It looks kinda wonky, but could just be odd shadows.

Yes, I have lots of pics. Could be angle or shadow, but what seems wonky?

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

From the pic. looks like a depression where the rear trim is attached, and I can’t tell if the torsion bar cover is filled in or not. Again, could be shadows and lighting.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Its a real nice '66. I'm a fan of the '66. Looks like your dash trim is complete.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

In case you haven't noticed yet--------the paint on the engine lid springs is not perfect. Hope this helps. Wink
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

Last edited by iowegian on Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

A hearty congratulations!
I seems you have done yourself proud.
Welcome to the sexy side Cool
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Very nice. Welcome.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
In case you haven't noticed yet--------the paint on the engine lid springs is not perfect. Hope this helps. Wink

Thanks, Weege, I saw that. The original top isn't perfect either. If I ever do a body off, Concours restoration, I'll be sure to have the springs painted Wink

Last edited by 67 Florida Deluxe on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
From the pic. looks like a depression where the rear trim is attached, and I can’t tell if the torsion bar cover is filled in or not. Again, could be shadows and lighting.

You have a good eye! It does from this angle. I have asked for a more detailed photo of the rear quarter panel area.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

The upper trim piece at the bottom of the passenger door is tweaked outward a little. But the qtr panel looks straight.

Last edited by 67 Florida Deluxe on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Welcome Kent to the world of sexy! Looks really good. I was going to warn you that everything wrong(?) will get picked about...seems to have begun already, but since you have been a Samba member, you know how it goes. All in good fun and friendship.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, there are some little rusty spots along the bottom edge....and your headliner is dirty!! Just thought I would throw in some criticism to begin the beating!
Awesome, Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Welcome Kent to the world of sexy! Looks really good. I was going to warn you that everything wrong(?) will get picked about...seems to have begun already, but since you have been a Samba member, you know how it goes. All in good fun and friendship.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, there are some little rusty spots along the bottom edge....and your headliner is dirty!! Just thought I would throw in some criticism to begin the beating!
Awesome, Jeff

LOL, trust me I know how it goes, Jeff. I do the same thing in the bug forum, as it's intended to be constructive and helpful! I welcome the comments. The PO purposefully didn't detail anything. Dow bathroom cleaner works wonders on the perforated headliner material, I'm very careful not to get it wet on the underside. I used it on many of my bugs and the 21-window's headliner and sliding top with amazing results. This little bugger's gonna get a nice detailing. It's my form of therapy Cool

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

It is a beautiful car and the door gaps are perfect. I honestly think after looking at the new pic.’s that what I thought was a pretty big dent is just a reflection from something next to the car.
Even if it was a dent, I would never critique a current owner, but since it’s not in your possession yet, I felt it might help with any future considerations if there was a dent.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

^^^ I definitely appreciated your observation. Glad it turned out to be just a reflection, but it did alert me to the trim piece. Very minor in the grand scheme, but at least I know it's tweaked a tad.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: