Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Panel Van Valuation?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

I'm involved in a three-party transaction where a mechanic has a lien on a 1971 panel bus ($1,500). The seller/owner isn't too hot about getting it out of jail, nor is the owner prepared to fix it, or store it. So, long story short, this looks like a very buyer-friendly situation, but I really don't want to take advantage of the seller... he's a good guy and I want to make sure he gets a fair value.

I've attached some photos, but here are some details:

1. Almost no rust.

2. The engine had a new case and many new internal parts. Runs good. Sounds nice. I like the exhaust note. (Mechanic's notes on that one);

3. Only thing needs doing underneath is replacing the left side heater cable tube. Cable was frozen in the tube. Had to cut it out. Have parts. (Mechanic's notes);

4. Rear brakes put back together. All parts are with the bus;

5. Shifter has all new bushings etc.

6. Misc. mechanical things to do then put the engine/ trans back in.

7. Needs headliner. Door panels.

8. Clean gas tank.

I'll also have to have it towed from Southern Oregon to Portland... so there's that too.

So, that's the story. Now, considering the above (and the fact that the final project is not going to be a restoration, but a mobile coffee venture), what is a fair price for this project.

Thanks,

Steve

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

panel vans are pretty low on the scale in terms of value. I would say pay the bail money plus 500. that thing still has a long way to go before being road worthy.

panels are cool, but even super clean ones don't sell for big coin. do it cuz you like it, not because you're going to retire off the sale of it.

the current owner is just going to have to lick his wounds financially. if it ran and drove down the road I would say 3-3500 max. there was a pretty nice one here a few years back that lingered forever at 7k and that one was hop in and go

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
panel vans are pretty low on the scale in terms of value.

That's interesting, Don. I would have thought that due to just sheer rarity (especially after 1971) that panel vans would have some special value.

But my recent experience bears that out: I recently found a French 1976 panel van survivor for sale here in New Mexico, and mentioned it here on The Samba. No one had the slightest interest.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

My GUESS is $2500 to $3000 with a clean title. The situation you are describing could end up a salvage title over the lien, so that may knock something off it too especially with the condition it is in. These days there is no guarantee a new engine is going to run right or even last depending where the parts came from. It is not like 1980.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

This is an ad. It does not belong in the regular forums. What random posters here think a bus is worth is totally irrelevant. Post the damn ad and wait for offers. Post reported.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
This is an ad. It does not belong in the regular forums. What random posters here think a bus is worth is totally irrelevant. Post the damn ad and wait for offers. Post reported.

Reading the post, he's not selling, he's buying.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:

he is an attorney in Portland. He indicates a coffee business is buying it and he would like an idea what the value is. I think he would have posted where the bus was if he was trying to sell it for a client. Unless you know him personally thru a business relationship it doesn't appear to me to be an ad, but I have been known to be wrong about things at times.
sbvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:

An ad for what? I don't even own the damn thing, what precisely do you suggest that I am advertising? I am the person looking to buy this project, was that unclear to you, because the other folks seem to understand that is going on here.

I am genuinely interested in what "random posters" think... it is exactly what I am looking for and is the exact purpose of this post.

Report away, but I think you are way off base.
sbvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:

he is an attorney in Portland. He indicates a coffee business is buying it and he would like an idea what the value is. I think he would have posted where the bus was if he was trying to sell it for a client. Unless you know him personally thru a business relationship it doesn't appear to me to be an ad, but I have been known to be wrong about things at times.

I am an attorney. And I do run a coffee shop (thecoffeeshoppdx.com). And I am interested in buying this van as a project for my business.

This is the reason I made this post, so that I could get some feedback from people who are more involved in this community. I don't own the van, I'm not selling the van... so I'm seriously confused as to how this could be an advertisement.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

sbvegas wrote:
SGKent wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:

I am an attorney. And I do run a coffee shop (thecoffeeshoppdx.com). And I am interested in buying this van as a project for my business.

This is the reason I made this post, so that I could get some feedback from people who are more involved in this community. I don't own the van, I'm not selling the van... so I'm seriously confused as to how this could be an advertisement.

don't even waste your time thinking about it. some here are just quick to poop on anything they can. It brings a sparkle to their otherwise useless day.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

Just spitballing, but I would say $3,000 given it needs to be put together and doesn't run. And you need to drag it home.

It does look solid underneath though - us New England folks would kill for a bus like that.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

the only panels that have any "real" value are double door

here is a list of what people are asking:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

I still say my original estimate is far market value for a non running bus that needs everything gone thru to be roadworthy.

panel vans are an acquired taste for many and haven't been that desirable from the get go unless it was for commercial use. case in point is almost every 'aftermarket' camper conversion company used them as a foundation for an install.

not saying the bus is bad, I think it's neat...but it isn't a 5k bus in its current condition.

the list of variables where the guy (seller) says "well, it's got a new engine" who built it? has it been run? was it built with off the shelf chinka china junk or is it top shelf?

lot's of factors to consider, but ultimately it's something you and the seller need to be happy with in the end.

john, I saw your post...it was a neat bus but as you saw there was little interest. if it were a late bay camper we'd be on page 9 by now Laughing

that euro panel (blue one) was for sale by monkeynut forever...not sure if it was theirs or if the seller now was told to try and sell it on their own. it was for sale under monkeynut for a long ass time

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

It doesn’t matter what you pay for it. That’s peanuts compared to paying someone or shop to get it fixed up like you want. You’ll be way out of pocket before it’s even close to being the attraction you want it to be.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

Second thought I’m here to help the VW bus community of owner/ lovers. I have no time for all the others looking to exploit the world of the VW bus. Haste comes to mind
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

I will say that since this is going to be converted to a coffee bus, a panel van may be just the ticket. And if you can get it cheaper because it is "less desirable" to the general VW bus community, so much the better.

OP, let me know if you are interested in a clean and dry survivor 1976 French panel van from New Mexico. It runs, too.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725251
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

I agree with Don, $2000 - maybe $2500 for a fairly solid project panel with a mystery motor is very fair.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

You have some of the best here weighing in, if they say $2500, then that’s fair. You dragging it home is on you, them getting slapped with a lien is on them. $1000 after settling up is $1000 more than what they have now.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

sbvegas wrote:
SGKent wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:

Moderator time:
This thread is fine.
It's fine to ask for a value on a Vehicle or a part - we allow it

We even allow it for people who plan on selling, although this can get borderline really quick.
It will get locked if it's too much ad and not enough about getting an actual value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

Thanks EB
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
sbvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Panel Van Valuation? Reply with quote

Thank you VERY much to those who've taken the time to actually read the post and respond with meaningful, thoughtful, helpful comments. It is greatly appreciated, including the comment from the moderator.

--Steve
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: