Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

Hey Guys! Do you know where I can buy one of these? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

Thats brilliant! I, or should I say, my wife, wants one of them too.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

I bought mine a few years ago from Randar Accessories. Unfortunately, that company (and the owner) cease to exist. Sorry!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

sxuxrxf made that one, sold the bus, dont think any one produces them to the masses right now

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

When it comes time for us to make a long enough trip for her to need a foot rest,
We just make sure to put a certain amount of stuff up there for her to put her feet on.

Usually it's firewood, but whatever's clever..

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

I had an internal roll cage placed upfront on my 1971. It was beefy and low enough that it would protect but not pin someone if there ever were an accident.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I had an internal roll cage placed upfront on my 1971. It was beefy and low enough that it would protect but not pin someone if there ever were an accident.

now that is interesting. would love to see pics if you had any.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

there was one f/s in the classifieds a while back. it was a hoop that went around the nose and tied into the wheel well. looked neat, but it also seemed to me that it would have crushed your feet.

the way it was around the door was configured in a way I could see your feet getting caught in it and taking a face plant exiting the bus

i'll see if I can find the ad. it was old (the part that the guy was selling) late 70's early 80's. kind of made by a 1 off company. it was wrapped in period correct newspaper for shipping.

edit

this is what was for sale in the classifieds, however it wasn't installed

there chris, did that help you? because according to your love letters I only run my mouth and don't help anyone

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
SGKent wrote:

now that is interesting. would love to see pics if you had any.

Chris I don't. It went around the heat tube and anchored into the body near the A pillar at the floor, then a brace went back on each side and anchored into the pedestals near the B pillar. There were sister plates underneath so it could be unbolted. The front piece was two pieces that slid together to make it possible to remove it. The side braces angled to make it easy to step over when getting in and out. Made a perfect foot rest but was low enough not to become a vise jaw in an accident. Modern cars are designed to fold around the passengers to protect them but in the 70's that engineering was not yet perfected.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
SGKent wrote:

there was one f/s in the classifieds a while back. it was a hoop that went around the nose and tied into the wheel well. looked neat, but it also seemed to me that it would have crushed your feet.

the way it was around the door was configured in a way I could see your feet getting caught in it and taking a face plant exiting the bus

i'll see if I can find the ad. it was old (the part that the guy was selling) late 70's early 80's. kind of made by a 1 off company. it was wrapped in period correct newspaper for shipping.

edit

this is what was for sale in the classifieds, however it wasn't installed

there chris, did that help you? because according to your love letters I only run my mouth and don't help anyone

mine was lower and the area at the footwells was much better designed to step over. There was no central brace and it was heavier tubing.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
...i just see it as an ankle breaker in the event of an accident

Or a shin snapper, a la Ed McCaffrey...and the badass held onto the ball for a completion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Hwvq_ppE0
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

I'm wondering about making a Bus version of the 914 Dog Bone footrest. Would be a lot less likely to snap you shins in half in a crash.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

Snap your shins or crush them. Either way they gone. Go with a wooden box. You could even make it a storage container of sorts.

Personally I think any roll cage made for a bus needs to tie into a thick (1/4-1/2") plate that is bolted to the front axle beam. Preferable between the beam and the frame. And then ideally all the way back to the rear suspension as well, but that's a tall order and would need to be welded into the unibody/torsion tubes. Without that, the bolts will strip or the frame will rip and your shins are gone anyway. But if you make a roll cage like this, you will get quite the jarring if you do get into an accident. It is all a trade off, and there isn't a way to make it truely safe.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
But if you make a roll cage like this, you will get quite the jarring if you do get into an accident. It is all a trade off, and there isn't a way to make it truely safe.

we have no nose structure, that's the real issue. most modern trucks/suv's are at emblem height on a stock bus. more like dash height on something lowered.

add to that poor rust repair work etc and it's gave over. you'd really need more of a 'cage' around the nose and tie into the B posts at minimum

the floor hoop I posted is just 'feel good' stuff. won't do a thing if you meet up with a Tahoe/Tacoma/F series

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

My bus came with one of these when I purchased it, looks to be slightly different though. I always guessed this was a common accessory. I'm sure you've looked at all the major vendors?

Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

BYeaton,
What shifter you running?
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
BYeaton,
What shifter you running?

Berg
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
I'm wondering about making a Bus version of the 914 Dog Bone footrest. Would be a lot less likely to snap you shins in half in a crash.

A piece of ridged foam with a cover would weigh little and be about the best thing to have in case of a frontal collision.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

Man, I just imagine that folding up over your lap in a wreck, like a retaining bar on a roller coaster! Yikes!

My wife is short (5'1") so she just uses a giant yoga block as a footrest. Something like this (Dimensions: 6 3/4" x 9 1/4" x 13 1/2"):

https://www.yogaoutlet.com/products/everyday-yoga-foam-super-block-8172924?variant=14827148541987
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger Footrest Bar... where to buy? Reply with quote

Could probably be made with a wooden dowel and a couple of brackets, like a closet pole.
Never seen the foam one. That's easy, too.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: