Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory interior options
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a split bus, this will be my first VW.
I found a great 11 window locally with no rust but I have questions on the interior. All the seats are there but there is no headliner or paneling on the inside. No panels behind the front seats, only the metal divider. Inside walls of the bus are metal ribs. Each door has a plain black panel but nowhere else.

Am I missing panels/headliner or did this bus come from the factory "bare bones"?

Does anyone sell reproduction panel kits that are factory correct?

Just curious what I am looking at and if it would be possible to make it a little "nicer" inside.

Thanks,
NG

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. That looks like a nice bus, I also love the 550 Spyder. I used to own a Beck 550 Spyder.

You need to first determine if this bus was born Standard or as a Kombi, that would determine if the bus has upholstered panels inside or it it had the fiberboard panels inside. Did you take any pictures of the M code plate or of the plate on the airbox?

Here is a link that tells you how to find out more detailed information once you have photos of those two spots.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php

There are plenty of options for completing the interior to finish the bus. Even if it was born as a Kombi you can still add a headliner and also add finished cloth panels inside. There are several copies who make the correct panels to complete the inside of this bus.

Here is one company that makes interior kits for the VW Bus.

https://sewfineproducts.com/VW-Split-Window-Bus-Interiors-Gallery

Here is a photo of a stock Bus that is around the same year with a original cloth interior.

dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Kombi: Only hardboard interior panels on the front doors and front cab roof.

Station Wagen/Standard Microbus: Vinyl overlaid interior panels on walls and doors and full vinyl (or Mohair/Wool fabric headliner for earlier buses).

You need to look at the model and M-code plates:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info everyone. So the bus is a Kombi, black seats match those in the photo. I'll try to get a photo of the M plate

1. Is it common to upgrade a Kombi to a "standard" or "deluxe" interior? Do people do this often or will it damage the value of the bus? I don't want anything that looks custom, the stock look is important to me.

2. Anyone who has done this, what do you estimate it would cost? A full kit would be best. I may just need to call around online.

Finally, I'm wondering if I should just pass on this bus and look for a higher trim model. He's asking 32k, absolutely no rust, California car. Decent paint.

Just trying to weigh my options, plain Kombi is pretty bare.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:
Thanks for the great info everyone. So the bus is a Kombi, black seats match those in the photo. I'll try to get a photo of the M plate

1. Is it common to upgrade a Kombi to a "standard" or "deluxe" interior? Do people do this often or will it damage the value of the bus? I don't want anything that looks custom, the stock look is important to me.

2. Anyone who has done this, what do you estimate it would cost? A full kit would be best. I may just need to call around online.

Finally, I'm wondering if I should just pass on this bus and look for a higher trim model. He's asking 32k, absolutely no rust, California car. Decent paint.

Just trying to weigh my options, plain Kombi is pretty bare.

Black seats and black interior panels were not stock for a 64-67 bus.
A 64 kombi would have grey upholstery with white piping, 65-67 standard or kombi would have mesh grey two tone upholstery.

I don't think we have enough info to tell if the bus you are looking at is a kombi (type 23) or a standard), or whether it is a good deal.

If it is a Titian red standard, the stock interior would be similar to this mesh grey 67 w/t, vinyl headliner, looks like a new seat cover on that middle seat.
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Here are the factory plates. Let mew know what you think

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:
Here are the factory plates. Let mew know what you think

It's a US spec Pearl-White single colour (when new) w/t 66 kombi.

It would have come new with a grey board panels in the cab (roof, under dash, doors). It would have had mesh grey seats, rear, middle, front.
Some people have said M013 is panels in the back as well as the seats, but I am unsure if that's really what M013 is.

Many kombis have turned into camper conversions.
If you prefer the microbus look, get a microbus.

My 66 kombi (velvet green) with about 55K miles on repro seat covers that are a good repro of the original. Would have had rubber 'seat stand' mats under the seats when new.
I put wood panels in the back, as it is pretty noisey as an empty tin can. And some westy camper furniture. The rear and middle seats were not there when I got the bus.

nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Did my bus originally come with two full bench seats in the the middle and in the back?

Currently I have bay window seats in the middle and back. My middle seat is 2/3.

What is factory correct for a 66 kombi or deluxe (or my bus specifically)?

Thanks,
Nate
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:
Did my bus originally come with two full bench seats in the the middle and in the back?

Thanks,
Nate

Clara wrote:

It would have come new with a grey board panels in the cab (roof, under dash, doors). It would have had mesh grey seats, rear, middle, front.

^^^ this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:

Currently I have bay window seats in the middle and back. My middle seat is 2/3.

Rear bench was always a full seat (of course)

Middle varied by year and model/options

You can tell by the mounts in the floor.
There will be mounts by the cargo door and not in the middle of the floor if it's a full Bench seat Bus. And vice-versa

The Bay seat doesn't normally line up with the Split Bus middle seat mounts so your floor may be drilled or modified right now in the middle of the floor for that seat to mount.
You will have to look to see how they mounted it.
The seat mounts on the driver's side wall can be used normally for any seat
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1977735.jpg

Thanks,
Nate

Your bus would come with a full width middle seat and a rear seat in the back.

The bay window 2/3 middle seat has the far right leg in a position that does not mount up to the stock floor plate location, so you can only get 4 of the 6 clamps onto it. There are reproduction middle seats that are pretty close to what you need. The reproduction is a '67 style seat which has an additional diagonal support in the legs.

The bay rear seat is pretty close to the split rear seat. The bay rear seat is about 3/4" narrower, and has an extra tab on the middle bottom of the backrest. It is a lot easier and cheaper to make a rear bay seat the same as a split rear seat than to find and buy a split bus rear seat.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Thanks All,

Lind you are correct my middle seat only had 4 clamps holding it down. Ont two of the three "legs" were clamped.

My mats are pulled up and I see mounting holes for a full bench.

Where did you say I can get a reproduction full middle seat?

Thanks,
Nate
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Here?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

so after buying the padding, vinyl cover, and paying someone 2K to wrap this (can I do it myself?) is it really any cheaper than just buying one of the $3,000 middle seat postings on the classifieds?
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

also I would need to locate grab handles + hardware?

I'm not an upholstery guy but it looks difficult to cover a metal frame like this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:
so after buying the padding, vinyl cover, and paying someone 2K to wrap this (can I do it myself?) is it really any cheaper than just buying one of the $3,000 middle seat postings on the classifieds?
Nice original is usually cheaper than the costs to restore on most levels, from parts like seats all the way up to whole cars. Quality is cheaper than crap. That said, original seats were stitched with cotton thread, which will split on the seams if you actually use the seat. Then you have to restitch the original material and reinstall it, which is harder to do than installing new material.

It should cost less than 1K to have the seat cover and padding installed onto a reproduction seat. You will still be in the seat ~$3k by the time you bolt it down, and there is still plenty of other seats and interior in the bus to soak up more money. You will get a bit of a rebate selling the bay seat you have now.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:
Lind you are correct my middle seat only had 4 clamps holding it down. Ont two of the three "legs" were clamped.

Note that this is normal - only the outside legs are clamped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
nate9871 wrote:

'66 buses have 6 or 8 clamp spots. '67 passenger buses have 8 spots for clamps regardless of what seat the bus came with.
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Can some one explain to me what these are used for and if I need them?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2207991
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory interior options Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
EverettB wrote:
nate9871 wrote:

'66 buses have 6 or 8 clamp spots. '67 passenger buses have 8 spots for clamps regardless of what seat the bus came with.

Thank you, I didn't know that about the 66s.

I know 67 cargo floors have all the seat mounts and the mats have holes for all the metal seat clamp bases. (8 total)

How about 66s? Did they mount on the outside edges only or ?

Last edited by EverettB on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: