Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montana/BC early storm warning
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Just making sure Sambanistas know about this. An early and possibly severe winter storm is hitting up here that anyone out for a late season trip should be aware of if they're passing through and not connecting to news. Centered in the N. Idaho/W. Montana, Southern BC area, a monster storm is predicted to arrive tomorrow and drop up to 2 feet of snow in the mountains and several inches on the valley floors in some areas.

If you are in or around these areas, check your forecasts and plan accordingly. If anyone's in my area and needs to dive into a safe spot, let me know. If anyone's in my area and wants to find a spot they'll get hammered with snow and be in a great spot to sit and watch the chaos unfold - let me know.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Sunny & dry here! Twisted Evil

Good on you for posting the warning.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Hey, you forgot to mention Alberta (and Saskatchewan)!

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/...conditions
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Heh - in your neck of the woods at this time of year, a powerful winter event is simply part of the adventurous climate - even in September. If anyone's traveling through AB/Sask at this time of year and not carrying winter gear, shovel, chains, food and failing to cast a weather eye out, they would have only themselves to blame by a stranding!

But around here it's about a month early to have an event of this magnitude. I don't even have snow brushes in the cars yet, and only one vehicle has its winter tires on. Hint: It's not the Vanagon!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Yeah, my daughter has been keeping me informed about the storm.

Honestly, I'd rather the snow storm than the 90°+ forecast for the Wedding I'm headed to in Kentucky!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

I hope somebody warn people in Alabama.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
I hope somebody warn people in Alabama.

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

A snowstorm already ???

Aw- geez !!!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

In 2017 we had to detour our September western vacation away from Glacier to points south. There was a big weather pattern pushing deep down.
Ended up snowed in @ Norris campground in Yellowstone with 8in of fresh snow. Gates down and internal roads closed.
I now Travel any western trip in fall on my Nokian snows.

Last edited by danfromsyr on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

And that’s why I’ll be on Maui at this time next week Smile
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

That's funny!!! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

That's funny!!! Very Happy

Not if you're a member. Shocked

Update: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/storm-warnings-calgary-snow-jim-fraser-alberta-1.5298261 .
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

That's funny! Around here most members seem to be driving new Grand Cherokees and Range Rovers on factory 45 series street rubber because "my 4WD can get out in the fast lane on snow and drive 70". Cough....
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
That's funny! Around here most members seem to be driving new Grand Cherokees and Range Rovers on factory 45 series street rubber because "my 4WD can get out in the fast lane on snow and drive 70". Cough....
When the first Range Rover Sport Supercharged models showed up at dealers, it was Fall going into Winter. The tires they came with were basically 2 season high perf. versions. We couldn't move the Sport's in the parking lot with 1 inch of snow on the ground.... Razz Razz Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Yeah, I used to know some of the guys on the corporate side from my former career with GM and Lexus. They were mortified about that change. The brand is pretty pure and strong other than the ridiculous tire decision. Sadly its exactly what their buyers want though, so it was a pure business decision. I'd have kept a tire choice in the lineup that was a solid offroad option like Jeep has done. My LandCruisers both have a rear window sticker that says "Range Rover Rescue Vehicle".....

Doug
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Kudos on the heads-up for the N Rockies, IdahoDoug.

I'm in SW Montana where the luxury SUVs and campers coming to and from Glacier-Yellowstone are still thick on the highways. Lots of "all-season" tires with ~50% tread or "AWD" systems are about to be tested...

The wife caught me stowing the winter tow strap kit with the Syncro's hi-jack equipment last night. She rolled her eyes and mumbled something about how she's not ready for ice climbing and ski season or my obsession with snow driving and towing folks out of ditches in the Syncro.

Drive safe this weekend in the N Rockies.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Ooh. Reminds me I wanted to fix something I did wrong. I restored an antique pair of emergency snow chains (two rows of chains and a leather strap that holds them on in a cam lock) and the leather is not thick enough by a hair. The cam lock puts a dent in it and they are in danger of loosening. So I need to find a thicker, strong substance to make a strap out of.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

The mountains already have a solid white blanket here in south east idaho, with forecast lows around 23* F I'm sure there will be snow on the valley floor for several days... This was the one week out of the whole summer that I needed some decent weather, *sigh* Oh well...

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Montana/BC early storm warning Reply with quote

Why don’t you guys just use a Sharpie and move the storms somewhere else?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: