Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AC "Kick" wire. Where does this go to? Fixed! Now drip pan leak
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: AC "Kick" wire. Where does this go to? Fixed! Now drip pan leak Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out why my ac clutch wire in the D-pillar does not have any power. This is required to activate the clutch on my compressor. I have exhausted all of my resources and I have messaged DJKeev n night and day. I cannot say enough good things about DJKeev. He has been my wingman on this journey of trying to figure out why there is no power to my ac clutch. The ac system is brand new and has all new fuses, relays, compressor, condenser, hoses etc. My ac fans work, my blower works, but when I turn the ac switch to turn it on, I get no power to the ac clutch relay. I am stuck and getting tired of this. I am tracing back the wire and I found this while I was doing it. There is a wire coming from the black box in the engine bay that says "Ac Kick or AC KKK". The wire is not connected. Does anyone know what this wire if for? Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by xclemjustinx on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

Did you check to see if you have power to the AC Low Pressure switch? It protects the compressor so the clutch power must come thru that switch in the 'D' pillar. The 50 amp fuse in the D pillar powers the clutch & blower fans so if the fans are working you should have power to the low press switch. If you have residual pressure in the system then the switch should power the clutch. If not, you've got either a bad switch or no system pressure.
Luck to you.
87 Syncro GL
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

I assume this is an 86+ stock A/C system with relays and pressure switches in the D pillar.

You say you have new relays. Are you positive the correct relays are installed?
The A/C clutch relay is supposed to be a reverse operating type, where the relay clicks on to disconnect the output.

Mark
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

VWagabond wrote:
Did you check to see if you have power to the AC Low Pressure switch? It protects the compressor so the clutch power must come thru that switch in the 'D' pillar. The 50 amp fuse in the D pillar powers the clutch & blower fans so if the fans are working you should have power to the low press switch. If you have residual pressure in the system then the switch should power the clutch. If not, you've got either a bad switch or no system pressure.
Luck to you.

I do have power to the ac low pressure switch. Its a trinary switch and I hope I wired it correct.The fans are working but I have no power to the ac clutch. I am lost, irritated, frustrated and confused. I wish there was a wiring diagram that you didn't have to be engineers to figure it out.
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I assume this is an 86+ stock A/C system with relays and pressure switches in the D pillar.

You say you have new relays. Are you positive the correct relays are installed?
The A/C clutch relay is supposed to be a reverse operating type, where the relay clicks on to disconnect the output.

Mark

I do have new relays. Maybe I should buy another set? I tested all of them with my multimeter and they came out good. I do have a 1990 gl with a 2.2 engine.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

I can try to help but you need to give specific answers to specific questions.

How about photos of the relay you are using in the A/C clutch position?
Most relays have a diagram on the case showing how it works inside. Lots of relays look alike but operate differently inside.

You say you don't have power to the clutch relay, what exactly does that mean? There are 2 pins on the relay and relay socket for power to come IN to. One of the red/blue wires should have power in when a/c is turned on. Do either of the red/blue wires to the relay socket have 12v power when the a/c is on?

Mark
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

To the OP. Crazyvwvanman knows more about the electrical system in Vanagons than anyone here or anywhere else. If he wants to help please
head his advice and questions.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I can try to help but you need to give specific answers to specific questions.

How about photos of the relay you are using in the A/C clutch position?
Most relays have a diagram on the case showing how it works inside. Lots of relays look alike but operate differently inside.

You say you don't have power to the clutch relay, what exactly does that mean? There are 2 pins on the relay and relay socket for power to come IN to. One of the red/blue wires should have power in when a/c is turned on. Do either of the red/blue wires to the relay socket have 12v power when the a/c is on?

Mark

Mark,

The red/blue wire does not have power to it when the ac is turned on. Here is a pic of the relay that I am talking about. It’s the relay on the far left.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

There are 2 red/blue wires to that socket. Do they both have 12v when the A/C is on?
What about the small black/yellow?

Mark
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

Mark,
The 2 red/blue and black/yellow wires do not have 12v to them when ac is turned on.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

Ok, there is a temperature switch that passes power to the red/blue of the relay socket. Measure each of the 2 wires that go in and out of that temperature switch. Look for a 2 pin connector, with black wires into one side and red/blue wires into the other. Measure the voltage of each red/blue, with one meter probe on bare body and the other on the metal pin. If you need to you can unhook the connector and ignore the black wires. Just separately measure each red/blue wire.

Mark
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

Mark,
Where is that temperature switch located ?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

It is a small black disc (with 2 black wires) that is screwed to the D pillar metal, near the relays.

EDIT: the 2 red/blue wires that go UP out of sight in your photo should be the ones that go to the temperature switch.

Mark
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

Ok. Each red/blue wire has no reading at all at the temperature switch.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

Ok, to be sure, test your meter with one probe on the 50 amp strip fuse and the other on the same bare metal spot you were using for the other measurements.

Mark
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

That reads 12v on the strip fuse
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

The trinary pressure switch is next in the wires since the missing power comes through one side of that pressure switch. It should have a 4 pin connector. One of the wires to the other side of that 4 pin is a red/white. Look for 12v on that red/white wire.

Mark
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

Mark,
I installed a new trinary switch. I am not sure if I wired it correctly. Does it matter for this test? The trinary switch I got from coldair.com.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

Measure the red/white for 12v. Unplug the 4 pin if that is possible and measure again.

Of course this problem could be a mis-wire of the new switch.

Mark
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon AC "Kick/KKK" wire. Where does this go to? Reply with quote

The red/white wire has no power.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: