Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Vince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

Hello I have a 168 VW van. I love it. looking to replace my freeway flyer with a berg5 trans. My motor is seized again less than 10,000 miles for some unknown reason. Looking for a new case. Al, or as21?, and what size can I go to and specs to have a daily driver not over heat, but get a little more punch so I don’t have whine it up in the rpm, andalso get 50-100K out of her?
Thanks for the help
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

"Subaru the hell out of it."

-Skills

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

Send me a pm and we’ll talk about what I did

https://www.aircooled.net/1800cc-vw-engine-no-machine-combo/

I thought the berg 5 speed was a type 1 tranny?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

I would question using any tranny with longer gearing than VW originally supplied. Just have the engine race balanced and let it spin and use something like a 0w40 oil so the oil pressure stays down and the maximum oil goes through the cooler.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

on an old design engine 15W-X is the lowest I would consider unless you live in Nome Alaska in winter.

That said, engines don't seize unless something else is wrong. Better look at each piece until you determine why it seized. Lowering the speed too much on an air cooled engine is not a smart thing to do unless you enjoy melting parts. Even on a 091 trans there are parts in side it that melt from sustained heat coming into it from the engine since it does not have oil cooling.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
"Subaru the hell out of it."

-Skills

I'll do one better. Buy and F150! or any other modern OBD2 or newer car. Hell it could be a Kia! You can get a hell of a deal on a used Kia. Something that you can still buy factory parts for (wouldn't bother if you go with the Kia, but aftermarket will still be ok. Besides you wont give a crap about it, so ducttape and zip ties are your friend!).

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&rlz=...amp;uact=5
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

I typed out a long response, counted the words, and figured if a picture is worth a thousand, this would be easier to digest.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1584cc, well-balanced, uphill, driven daily.

Welcome to the forum,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

Are we looking at your broken steering wheel?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Welcome to the forum,
Robbie

What head temps are you getting at this speed up hill?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Welcome to the forum,
Robbie

No idea. I replaced the CHT sender ring in Oregon while re-ringing, and my head temps mysteriously went down 60-70 degrees. I unplugged the gauge and that was the end of that. Valve adjustments haven’t changed in 9,000 miles, and shooting the case with an IR thermometer shows normal oil and exhaust temperatures for my engine.

I really do wish everyone could experience an easy going Volkswagen engine before considering “enhancements” from something they read online.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
tommu wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Welcome to the forum,
Robbie

No idea. I replaced the CHT sender ring in Oregon while re-ringing, and my head temps mysteriously went down 60-70 degrees. I unplugged the gauge and that was the end of that. Valve adjustments haven’t changed in 9,000 miles, and shooting the case with an IR thermometer shows normal oil and exhaust temperatures for my engine.

I really do wish everyone could experience an easy going Volkswagen engine before considering “enhancements” from something they read online.
Robbie

Not in this day and age Robbie. People haven't the attention span.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

Robbie...where do you want me to send that old engine block to after the Suby swap last month?

Have you noticed the PM pane looks like a post now?
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

Dr Vince wrote:
Hello I have a 168 VW van. I love it. looking to replace my freeway flyer with a berg5 trans. My motor is seized again less than 10,000 miles for some unknown reason. Looking for a new case. Al, or as21?, and what size can I go to and specs to have a daily driver not over heat, but get a little more punch so I don’t have whine it up in the rpm, andalso get 50-100K out of her?
Thanks for the help

Much of what you are asking is dependent on budget. Five speeds are not available for a Bay Window trans unless you are willing to convert to a Porsche or Subaru. Virtually any size motor can run for the specified mileage and more if properly built. Porsche and Subaru drivetrains can be adapted to Buses with varying degrees of difficulty and cost.

I built an 1835 for my last Bus with more compression, ratio rockers and virtually everything else stock. Stock trans with an oversized tire. It was a great combo for what I used it for, simple to maintain and very reliable. The core which it was built on went for over 50K in the same Bus before compression got a bit low. The bottom end looked like new.

If money is no object, install a 911 engine and trans.

You're best bet is to contact a competent engine builder, discuss your needs and settle on a solution.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: What engine to replace my daily driver 1776 w/ with my free flye Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Send me a pm and we’ll talk about what I did

https://www.aircooled.net/1800cc-vw-engine-no-machine-combo/

I thought the berg 5 speed was a type 1 tranny?
Berg says they don’t recommend it for a bus. There is someone on the bay forum that says he is running one and it works great. It’s been a few years since I saw his post so I can’t remember who it was. The fifth gear is the same ratio as what fourth gear on a stock tranny is, so you just get a close ratio 5 spd, not a 4spd with overdrive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: