Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T - Need input before I haul off donor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: 1.8T - Need input before I haul off donor Reply with quote

Starting a 1.8 conversion. (Backwards turning thanks to groundbreaking work by Andrew F. if I am brave enough!) 03 Passat is the donor ( inline) engine code AMP. Here is what I have taken so far-

Engine
Transmission
Wiring Harness, ECU
Instrument cluster
Coolant tank
leaving accelerator pedal and will use "more comfortable" later version

Motor mounts. Will I need the metal platforms that mounts were attached to?
(They are bolted to the frame)

Anything else?

I will get a new thread going about my conversion one of these days!
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T - Need input before I haul off donor Reply with quote

Grab the intercooler if you haven't, grab the LDP from the (...driver's?) rear wheelwell and the SAI pump from up front "just in case" you want/need it. Speakers and head unit if they were upgraded, wiper motor for a spare, rearview mirror if it's auto-dimming. Various badges if you're inclined -- I saved the "ass" from Passat for my toolbox just because.

Love my reversed 1.8T, really love the transaxle gearing .. especially 5th on the interstate. Hardest single part of the engine build was wrapping my mind around the camshaft reindexing, but that was before Andrew publically made things clearer. I got it but spent a week overthinking things and reading between the lines of the original CCW 1.8T build thread.

Drop me a line if you come to Portland, I'll hand you the keys and buy you a beer .. in that order. Laughing going to be taking it off the road for a suspension refresh and ECM/wiring update hopefully soonish though.

Last edited by tristessa on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T - Need input before I haul off donor Reply with quote

I’d pull that pedal anyways-if you don’t need it later, so be it.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T - Need input before I haul off donor Reply with quote

I'd keep the car until your conversion is complete.
I hate the "Could have, Should have, Would have........ didn't" experience.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T - Need input before I haul off donor Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks tristessa! Look forward to taking you up on your offer. Being in AK I go through PDX quite a bit.

I grabbed Intercooler, SAI and wiper motor. Didn't even know the Leak detection pump existed but i'll find it! Also grabbed badges...

Thanks vanagonjr, good advice. I will grab it.

Djkeev, if only I had unlimited space! My daughter wants the garage back as winter temps are here in AK.

Very satisfying to finally have the motor up on the stand!
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T - Need input before I haul off donor Reply with quote

LDP is only an issue if you've got emissions testing to deal with -- it doesn't affect the running at all, but does throw & store a code for the EVAP system and lights up the CEL/MIL on the dash. Not sure about SAI, my donor was a '98 which didn't have that system, but I'm learning about it -- specifically, how to bypass/delete it -- with the wideband/DBW conversion I'm working on, which is using an '02 Passat AWM harness & ECM.

SAI and LDP can both be coded out by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm poking at it and I *think* I'm starting to learn how that's done .. proof will be when I flash an ECM without bricking it and everything works like I think it's supposed to. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: