Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Easy engine bay air seal question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Pulled the engine for the first time last night (thanks MW for the extra hands) and replaced the air seals. What I couldn’t seem to find was how to trim the seals at the front intersection. My old ones were mostly gone, so they weren’t real helpful as guides. This is what I’ve got right now and I’m just wondering if I should leave the excess in the firewall seal or trim it just above the horizontal seal.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

They will shrink up a bit after you drive the bus around for a while. I'd just leave them and concentrate on cleaning that engine compartment! Smile

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
They will shrink up a bit after you drive the bus around for a while. I'd just leave them and concentrate on cleaning that engine compartment! Smile

Thanks. That'll make it easier... oh- but the new horizontal seal was already a bit short on the apron (like an inch on each end).... Should I worry about a gap like that and replace just that portion again? It's a WW seal, so I was surprised it wasn't quite right...

Engine bay is mostly dusty. Hopefully I have time this go-round to clean it all. That turkis paint is soooo purdy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Any hole you can see thru, is a bad hole.

Personally buy the beetle rear seal and cut it up into the three pieces needed forward of the bus rear apron.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Any hole you can see thru, is a bad hole.

Figure'd that'd be the answer.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Personally buy the beetle rear seal and cut it up into the three pieces needed forward of the bus rear apron.

So you use the apron-style seal for the firewall as well? I already installed the "normal" T-shaped bus version. Is there a significant benefit to the split profile over the T-shape?

For reference, these are the ones that are installed now:
Split type - apron and sides
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111813705A

T-type - firewall
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111813741G
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Do not think there is a significant improvement using the split type. Just have had them on hand from often buying new ones at the swap meets from those who happened to be selling off new parts from abandoned projects or other reasons. Main thing is that seal is long enough to do all three areas and not be too short as to later shrink open holes.

Did you cut a slot in the front seal to allow the accelerator cable and its tube to pass thru there easily?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Okay. I won’t worry about swapping the front. I will get a new spilt seal and finish up the apron properly.

And no, I haven’t cut a slot... I also don’t have a tube for the accelerator... yet. It’s on my shopping list though.

Thanks again
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Good! Do not forget the accelerator bowden tube also.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Make sure that seal above is not pulled at all either.
Meaning it's not stretched from side to side.
Push from both sides toward the center.
If you sort of push it together there might be very little left at each end.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Did you cut a slot in the front seal to allow the accelerator cable and its tube to pass thru there easily?

Why am I just hearing of this now? Haha... Next time the engine is out that will be fixed. The cable has cut the rubber some but still always a pain to get the cable through.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

On my bus and both my Beetles the accelerator cable tube is long enough that it goes through the seal not the cable.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Following up an easy question with a dumb one...

Over, under or through?

Does the sheet metal go over the seal with the seal kind of “tucked” along side the sheet metal?

Or does it go completely under the seal, with both “flaps” sitting on top?

Or does it go between the two flaps of the seal?

I’ve managed to get all three situations when I reinstalled the engine today... it appears to be a pain to move it from one position to the other, so I’d like to only do this once...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Well, that definitely makes the most sense. Too bad it’s the version that looks the worst. Lol
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Easy engine bay air seal question Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

I ended up not needing to slot the seal for the accelerator cable. Everything went though easily for me. I think that the metal tube that goes through the tins pushed it up just enough to keep it clear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: