Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Gas Mileage
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Gas Mileage Reply with quote

Have you checked your grounds? Is your tail pipe Fat? My 1.9 was running like crap and using a ton of gas. After cleaning the grounds it all went away.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Gas Mileage Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Have you checked your grounds? Is your tail pipe Fat? My 1.9 was running like crap and using a ton of gas. After cleaning the grounds it all went away Stacy
. Me too..... Applause
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Gas Mileage Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Have you checked your grounds? Is your tail pipe Fat? My 1.9 was running like crap and using a ton of gas. After cleaning the grounds it all went away.

Stacy

Same clean all the grounds of any dirt, paint, exc down to bare metal. Put a fresh bolt and new ground cables too it is easy and cheap.

Here is the 1.9L ground locations.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662834
-Derek-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Gas Mileage Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies. Busy week at work, but took some time today to fuss with the grounds. Re-terminated a bunch of the small wire grounds to new ring terminals. Re-terminated the main engine ground strap. Cleaned everything. Made sure all the terminals were nested neatly and bolts tight. Measured nil resistance with engine cold. But after running there resistance was as I quoted earlier (~3 ohm from block to chassis). Real head scratcher.

I repeated the two diagnostic tests I performed last sunday with the same results. I'll borrow a fuel pressure test kit from the local FLAPS and measure the pressure next.

Unrelated, but while doing an oil change I spotted a coolant leak from the new water pump. Grrrr..... Looks like I'll be headed for a GW warranty claim.
-Derek-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Gas Mileage Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
...Is your tail pipe Fat? ...

Not sure what you mean. My tailpipe is ugly for sure.
-Derek-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Gas Mileage Reply with quote

Fuel pressure is 36 psi with vacuum line disconnected, 32 psi connected. So a little higher than Bentley specifies, but not drastically off.
-Derek-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Gas Mileage Reply with quote

Today was the first lengthy drive since adjusting the timing and re-doing the grounds. I filled up before my 106 mile trip, and put 6 gallons back in when I got home, 17.6 mpg! 70/30 mix of highway/city. I really can't expect much better with my automatic.

However, whether as a consequence or coincidence, drive-ability is not what it was. Twice while accelerating from ~10 mph to ~35 mph the engine hesitated, alternating between bogging down and surging. Felt like I was behind the power curve. By backing off almost to idle and gently applying the throttle the rpm would slowly pick up. This happened while the engine was cold, didn't repeat after warming up or while driving at faster speeds.

-Derek
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Gas Mileage Reply with quote

If it only does it cold, go through your cold start system. Maybe a temp II sensor or the idle control valve is sticky?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Gas Mileage Reply with quote

-Derek- wrote:
Today was the first lengthy drive since adjusting the timing and re-doing the grounds. I filled up before my 106 mile trip, and put 6 gallons back in when I got home, 17.6 mpg! 70/30 mix of highway/city. I really can't expect much better with my automatic.

However, whether as a consequence or coincidence, drive-ability is not what it was. Twice while accelerating from ~10 mph to ~35 mph the engine hesitated, alternating between bogging down and surging. Felt like I was behind the power curve. By backing off almost to idle and gently applying the throttle the rpm would slowly pick up. This happened while the engine was cold, didn't repeat after warming up or while driving at faster speeds.

-Derek

Mine did this from Idle to about 25mph. I swapped out the injector seals and all was good. What your describing is most likely a vacuum leak.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: