Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd indicator dash light issue...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've discovered something odd.

With the ignition on, the indicators and hazards work correctly, but the light in the speedo doesn't flash.

However, with the ignition off and the hazards on, it does flash...

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

It's a new flasher, and it is connected correctly based on the wire colours/connector numbers on the wiring diagram.

I assume something elsewhere is misconnected...?

Cheers...P.
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure out the exact same issue for the past two years. Sorry, wish I had a better answer, but if someone does, I would appreciate it as well. I have double and triple checked the wiring.

jay
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

Are you saying that with the ignition off, (turn signal arm in either L or R position) the turn signals do not blink, but the 4 way hazards do blink (when the hazard switch {knob} is pulled) along with the bulb in the knob also blinking?
And with the ignition on, L or R signals blink with the double arrow indicator in the speedometer?

If that is what you are asking, that is perfectly normal. The hazards are supposed to function if the car is stopped on the side of the road with the ignition switch off.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

wizrod wrote:
Hi all,

I've discovered something odd.

With the ignition on, the indicators and hazards work correctly, but the light in the speedo doesn't flash.

However, with the ignition off and the hazards on, it does flash...

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

It's a new flasher, and it is connected correctly based on the wire colours/connector numbers on the wiring diagram.

I assume something elsewhere is misconnected...?

Cheers...P.

That is what mine did for a few years after I bought it. Seems there is something going on that should not be able to happen according to the wiring diagram. My problem only occurred on one side and would go away with use over the summer and return after sitting each winter. Knock on wood it has not occurred in a couple of years at this point.

Maybe access the turn signal switch and spray it with WD40 or electrical cleaner.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:
Are you saying that with the ignition off, (turn signal arm in either L or R position) the turn signals do not blink, but the 4 way hazards do blink (when the hazard switch {knob} is pulled) along with the bulb in the knob also blinking?
And with the ignition on, L or R signals blink with the double arrow indicator in the speedometer?

Almost...the external lights are all ok...L & R + hazards with ignition on; hazards only with ignition off.

The problem is the double arrow on the speedo only flashes when the ignition is off.

The car has been sitting for the last 15 years (before I bought it) so will see about exercising and lubricating the hazard switch...I think I might even have a spare somewhere...I'll report back.
62CdnNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I found after tracing the wires that with the ignition off the hazzard switch on, the green dash indicator would flash. The speedo is grounded and so is the surround where the indicator bulbs push into. As I turn the ignition on, the ground then switches to positive and the green indicators do not work. Ignition off and the green indicator comes on. My oil and generator lights all work and are on the same mount as the indicator. I have a brand new turn signal switch as my Low/Hi was broken.

I am stumped at this point.
1972 Westfalia (sold)
1974 Thing
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

If you're sure that you have the right flasher and it is grounded properly, ground wires are clean, bulb sockets clean and the bulbs are 21W, then I would take the indicator wire and piggyback it on the terminal 49A on the black box flasher. Old trick from Ron Domeck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

Old trick from a old man. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

Good call...will give it a go...thanks
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

I had some similar issues with mine when I bought it. What I found was that one of the front turn signal lights was wired backwards. They had the black wire going to ground on one side. Understandable as in most US cars black is used for ground, but in our cars the brown wire is the ground. Just another thing to verify. It took me a few rounds to figure that out as I was used to a black ground wire too...
62CdnNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

The jumper wire trick works perfect. Thank you for this tip!!
1972 Westfalia (sold)
1974 Thing
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

Good to hear, Ron and his brother Dennis are some of the best guys around.
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Odd indicator dash light issue... Reply with quote

Update...

I have fixed the problem.

The culprit was the aftermarket 'equivalent' part.

Rummaging through the stash of odd parts that came with the car, I came across (what may be) the original indicator relay. I installed it and tried it out. Nothing. Completely dead. No indicators; no hazards. I opened the case to see if there was any obvious fault and spotted that the contact arm on 1 of the 2 relays was stuck. Once freed and with the case reassembled, and back in the car, the indicators and specifically the green light in the speedo are all working as VW intended.

I have a feeling the aftermarket relay puts12v to the Kbl terminal, rather than earthing it, in the case of the stock part...I think that would explain why the green arrows only light up with the ignition off...

Anyway...1 more job ticketed off the list..

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: