Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Spindle bearing issue question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

I recently rebuilt the front end mechanics on my 62. I went to install the drum after new sealed bearings were installed and cannot seat the drum all the way on. Am I overlooking something? The drivers side picture still has the race on the spindle. The passenger side has been removed already and this is the side I attempted to put the drum on. When I tried to take the drum back off the passenger side I had to walk it off with pry bars. it’s not a normal fit. Could I have the wrong spindles installed on my 62? Any help is appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

I just tried to slide the inner bearing that has not been pressed into a drum yet onto the spindle and it stops right at the tapered spot
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

Does anyone have any ideas? I’m stumped and would love to move on with my project, But she is sitting on jack stands for now. Lol
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

""new sealed bearings""

Sealed bearings? Why? Post a picture, also a picture of the front beam / steering knuckle.

You can use 2 versions up to 1965 (king/link pin beam).

Early ball bearing version (original) front inner http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111405625a
Outer bearing must also be the ball bearing version.

Later roller bearing version front inner http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111405627
Outer bearing must also be the roller bearing version.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion I typed in sealed, my apologies. I have fag brand roller bearings. Inner and outer. I purchase them from cip1.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D405%2D627%2DGR
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

The problem I am having is you can see on the spindle, one with the old race removed, there is a slight ledge. This lip/ledge is preventing me from seating the drum. I do not know if this is an incorrect spindle for my car or if the previous owner forced the race on the spindle and damaged it. The old race would not come off without a lot of force.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

rickc'svdubs wrote:
The problem I am having is you can see on the spindle, one with the old race removed, there is a slight ledge. This lip/ledge is preventing me from seating the drum. I do not know if this is an incorrect spindle for my car or if the previous owner forced the race on the spindle and damaged it. The old race would not come off without a lot of force.

The spindle looks correct but damaged.
You can try to file the lip/ledge very carefully with a small fine file as used by a locksmith.
Little by little until the race passes over the spindle with some force, but not too much.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

You are going to have to remove that little lip/ledge from the spindle so that the drum can easily be pushed on. I had a similar problem on my ‘60 when I replaced the original style bearings with the new style. Judging from your pic though, that ledge/lip is more substantial than what I had to smooth down. One side was ok though. This pic shows the wheel I had trouble with (passenger). After I smoothed down the ridge, I pushed the bearing on just to verify that it would fit and it did.

Three possible options. 1) Get rid of that ridge without taking too much material off the spindle. Go slowly and carefully.
2) Check Samba classifieds for used king pin spindles and change them.
3) The most expensive option, purchase a rebuilt set of spindles. This would give you new king pins and link pins, bushings and shims.

rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the info and help. I might try and sand down the lip but as mentioned it’s a decent sized lip. However I found an old beam in my parts stash last night with 2 complete spindles. I am going to look them over and possibly use them if they check out ok. I am concerned that so much material has to be removed that it might end up being a paper weight.
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

I was able to clean up one of the spindles I found this evening. It moves freely and after a little clean up on the spindle my inner bearing slid on perfectly. I have to clean up the outer part of the spindle and I believe I can put this issue to rest. Thank you again for all the help.
Paul Boomer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Spindle bearing issue question Reply with quote

Yea I'm like two years too late, but just went through the same problem today. My buggy still had the old German ball bearings in it and the new cross reference bearings were hitting the lip. Whatever can go wrong has been lately so i was pissed. Took a break, some internet searching and It wasn't until i saw the two pictures for this post. Went back to the garage and that is just another race on the stem. Mine came off relatively easy. No grinding needed. Hopefully this helps someone else before spending more money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: