Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emission Test
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Emission Test Reply with quote

Took my 74 SB into the Delaware DMV for inspection, and failed the emission test. It already has new plugs, coil, air filter and new cab. Engine was recently rebuilt as well. Don't see any vacuum leaks. So, other than trying to adjust the idle are and lean out the fuel mixture, plus recheck the timing .... another thoughts? ( the failure was high carbon monoxide ... CO and or Hydrocarbon failure)
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Gross failure, or did you just miss by a few points?
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Not sure ... They list three headings;
Readings ... (Blank)
Limits ....... 600 for HC and 6.0 for CO
Results ......Both state "Bypass)
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

The 74 SB should have an EGR system. Is yours installed? I think the law states that emissions components must be present.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

JonRich55 wrote:
The 74 SB should have an EGR system. Is yours installed? I think the law states that emissions components must be present.

I'm glad in New York, cars older than 25 years are exempt from emissions testing. Safety inspection only.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Glenn, I live in VA, and we also have a 25 year exception for emission I believe. Having said that, I was told by an inspector once that the exception was that my car didn't have to pass the tests, however all emissions related components needed to be on the car for a visual inspection. Even that may have changed over the years.

I cant speak to what DE does, I was just curious if this could be why the OP had his fail.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Arizona 2 largest counties test back to 1967 model year. No testing at all in remainder of state, and no safety/operational testing...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

it does not have an EGR system installed.
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

So .... I guess I need to figure out how to instal an EGR system.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

CO is usually carb related and hydrocarbon is usually ignition related . How long since tune up and oil change . Do they check for missing emission parts . Make sure the dwell and timing are right on and idle is on low side and oil is changed. Can you get a picture of engine compartment. Egr is oxides of nitrogen check . Good luck
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Arizona 2 largest counties test back to 1967 model year. No testing at all in remainder of state, and no safety/operational testing...

Texas used to be the same way. Folks would drive to the next county over and have it inspected there to avoid the emission part of the inspection.
25 year limit here as well.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Wa state doesn’t do emissions after 25 years, and no safety inspections for anyone. As long as the state gets their money they don’t care what kind of death trap you drive. To be fair I’ve probably driven vehicles in the past that wouldn’t pass a safety inspection.
205T (Bill)
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Did they give you a printout of the numbers. HC, CO, NOx, O2?

The actual numbers would be great info to have, unless you maxed out their machine.

My guess is you need a good tune up, as already mentioned. While you got the plugs out and after a valve adjust, do a compression test.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Rebuilt engines often need valve adjustment after short time of running. Had that several times.
If an exhaust valve doesn't fully close this will lead to high CO and HC values.

Otherwise if a cylinder does not fully work (e.g. due to bad ignition) also CO and HC values rise. HC always means unburnt gasoline.

I would not expect a missing EGR to result in high CO and HC.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Here is a link that provides exactly what DE requires by age of car.

https://www.dmv.de.gov/services/vehicle_services.old/reg/ve_reg_emissions.shtml

This site appears to have links and information to all states:
https://www.semasan.com/resources/vehicle-emissions-inspection-requirements-and-exemptions-state

I have no idea if Counties have more or less restrictive policies than the state charter.
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

thanks for all your input ... the engine is just rebuilt with no time on it. I'll check out the items posted ... timing, compression, mixture and let you know how it went. And right, all the DMV did was an idle check as required. Any more thoughts are appreciated.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

New motors may need to be broken in before rings seal correctly. unsealing rings may cause high HC values, ie burning oil.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Thanks .... other than making the other checks, I’ll put some more time on the engine break in.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

High HCs, especially at idle, are usually ignition issues (bad plug wire or connector) CO, well sometimes even a half a turn on the carburetor's idle mixture screw can make a huge difference in that number.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
jpab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Emission Test Reply with quote

Thanks Andy .... looks like I have me work cut out for me tomorrow. After making the adjustments and another. Is it to the dmv ... I’ll let all know the outcome. I appreciate all the help and if there are any more suggestions .. wall is welcome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: